1yr ban turned into 3!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

kitkat

hi,i was banned in jan 2011 for a year for failing to produce,-i thought i could drive again when my ban was up in jan 2012.however the D.V.L.A said different! i failed my first medical-the d.v.l.a doctor ask my G.P for information,and the info they received was that i had been abusing alcohol in the past.(my parent had died,and i sank into a depression) it also said i had help with a de-tox,and was taking methadone!---this was incorrect info(never taken drugs in my life).the doctor apologised to me,but the damage had been done,as d.v.l.a said i had to have one clear year from alcohol abuse.whenever i wrote to them or the doctors at the d.v.l.a-they either said i hadnt signed the letters to them,and also they took up to 12weeks to reply to each letter.i feel as if im banging my head against a brick wall!! My new G.P sent two fit to drive forms back to the d.v.l.a-with no effect.Ive got my medical on wed 25th march-next week,and i'm just so de-flated by it all now,im not even excited,as i'm resigned to the fact i will never get my licence back.i'm worried about the questionair at the medical,and im worried about -well everything really...thank you x

If the DVLA have received any evidence of alcohol dependency then they will not reissue a licence until they are satisfied that there has been 12 months without issue. The guidance on their website states, "Alcohol dependence, confirmed by medical enquiry, requires licence revocation or refusal until a 1 year period free from alcohol problems has been attained. Abstinence will normally be required, with normalisation of blood parameters, if relevant."

Essentially if you stop drinking for a period of 1 year and the medical you complete with the DVLA shows this, then your licence should be re-instated. Anything less than complete abstinence gives the DVLA the opportunity to refuse any application as they may allege that you are not in control of your drinking habits.

thank you for your reply...i just find it almost like i'm being discriminated against for one mistake.the D.V.L.A just have to SUSPECT a person MAY drink/drive again!!-its like banning an obese person from all supermarkets INCASE they buy pies and cakes,or telling a burglar he isnt getting out of jail after his years sentance is over-INCASE he re-offends!! I had a full clean licence for over 20yrs before this-but that counts for nothing in their eyes!

I appreciate your frustration, the DVLA's main concern in these cases is making sure they cannot be held to be at fault for any issues that occur after someone's licence is returned to them. It would reflect badly on them if for example they had re-instated your licence straight away and then you had committed a further offence, people would question why they had returned a licence to someone who had a history of alcohol dependance and had been disqualified for failing to provide a specimen. The DVLA find it far easier to just have guidelines for every circumstance and to stick rigidly to them, rather than dealing with matters on a case by case basis. Obviously this causes difficulties for people in your position but as there is very little public sympathy for people convicted of drink driving offences, the DVLA are unlikely to change their procedures anytime soon.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off