1st Week After Arrest

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi All,
So on Saturday night I got so drunk I decided to drive (too drunk to remember this) and the next thing I know I am in my car with all the airbags deployed after crashing into what I imagine was a stationary vehicle. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket nor ever been in trouble with police etc.
After a traumatic night in custody (quite tough to comprehend whilst drunk) and a charge of drunk in charge I was released with a court date of 19th May (so thankfully not too long to wait). I don't remember being interviewed so imagine there was no need if it the evidence was clear - I blew 96 at the station (!)
Although not considered myself an alcoholic, I tend to not know my limits when I do drink and if it has caused me to upend my life like this I am beginning a total sobriety journey now.
I think I just want someone to say it will be okay. It feels so hard to talk about how tough and depressing this situation is when you know you brought it on yourself and don't deserve sympathy from others but it is a lot to process. After retrieving my stuff from the car in recovery I feel so thankful that I am okay and that no one else was hurt.
Isn't it crazy how one moment changes your life like this?
This is very similar to my story and I’m in court next Friday x

Hi All,
So on Saturday night I got so drunk I decided to drive (too drunk to remember this) and the next thing I know I am in my car with all the airbags deployed after crashing into what I imagine was a stationary vehicle. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket nor ever been in trouble with police etc.
After a traumatic night in custody (quite tough to comprehend whilst drunk) and a charge of drunk in charge I was released with a court date of 19th May (so thankfully not too long to wait). I don't remember being interviewed so imagine there was no need if it the evidence was clear - I blew 96 at the station (!)
Although not considered myself an alcoholic, I tend to not know my limits when I do drink and if it has caused me to upend my life like this I am beginning a total sobriety journey now.
I think I just want someone to say it will be okay. It feels so hard to talk about how tough and depressing this situation is when you know you brought it on yourself and don't deserve sympathy from others but it is a lot to process. After retrieving my stuff from the car in recovery I feel so thankful that I am okay and that no one else was hurt.
Hiya I had court back in March. I got there really early. I actually had to travel from London to Dorset the day before as I had court in the place I got caught drink driving.!! The usher asked if I had representation I said no so he said we will assign you a duty solicitor. He was really lovely felt supported and didn't pay a penny. So worth doing that in my opinion. I got an 18 month ban and a £300 something fine. Its hard without a car but I'm managing it now. I get a lift to work so I've been able to keep my job.thank god. Please let us know how you get on this forum is a god send. Were all here for the same reason. Mistakes don't define us. Were all human. Ps I blew 80 x

Hiya I had court back in March. I got there really early. I actually had to travel from London to Dorset the day before as I had court in the place I got caught drink driving.!! The usher asked if I had representation I said no so he said we will assign you a duty solicitor. He was really lovely felt supported and didn't pay a penny. So worth doing that in my opinion. I got an 18 month ban and a £300 something fine. Its hard without a car but I'm managing it now. I get a lift to work so I've been able to keep my job.thank god. Please let us know how you get on this forum is a god send. Were all here for the same reason. Mistakes don't define us. Were all human. Ps I blew 80 x
Thank you Sarah - I'll bet a weight is lifted for you since the court date. I've actually decided to instruct a solicitor (£600 ouch) but it's for my own peace of mind and helps with the pre court scaries.

I've tried to be kind to myself this weekend and yes, not driving will be tough but there are bigger hardships in life, and I'm actually excited now for a booze free future and trying to turn this into a positive. I know as soon as the court date has gone I can move forward and hopefully not feel guilty for having a good day! X

Thank you Sarah - I'll bet a weight is lifted for you since the court date. I've actually decided to instruct a solicitor (£600 ouch) but it's for my own peace of mind and helps with the pre court scaries.

I've tried to be kind to myself this weekend and yes, not driving will be tough but there are bigger hardships in life, and I'm actually excited now for a booze free future and trying to turn this into a positive. I know as soon as the court date has gone I can move forward and hopefully not feel guilty for having a good day! X
Hiya. Soon will be over and you can move forward with things. The best of luck x

Hi All,
I hear you
Trying to talk to anyone without crying is so hard , I really hope it gets easier after the court day , mines 26th May xx
And I get what your saying sympathy wise aswell !
Are you getting a solicitor what are you taking with you?? X

I hear you
Trying to talk to anyone without crying is so hard , I really hope it gets easier after the court day , mines 26th May xx
And I get what your saying sympathy wise aswell !
Are you getting a solicitor what are you taking with you?? X
I have decided to get a solicitor. I know its not cheap and I could maybe do without one but it has eased the anxiety a little. I have a meeting with him 2 days before. To be honest I'm dreading hearing the police report as I remember so little I almost want it to stay that way! If you want I'll share with you any advice I receive that is worth sharing :) x

I have decided to get a solicitor. I know its not cheap and I could maybe do without one but it has eased the anxiety a little. I have a meeting with him 2 days before. To be honest I'm dreading hearing the police report as I remember so little I almost want it to stay that way! If you want I'll share with you any advice I receive that is worth sharing :) x
I would really appreciate that... when do u go ???

So I thought I would update after court today, though I am still in shock, but for a good reason.

I hired a solicitor and we talked a couple of days before where we discussed thar u had been charged with 'drunk in charge' and not drunk driving. He talked me through the lesser sentencing guidelines of this but that this charge could change at any time before my plea, and the evidence was strong.

When I got to court, my name was still on the wall with drunk in charge and my solicitor said as it was showing here it would be unlikely to change. When we got into court the prosecutor announced the charge was changed to drunk driving. My solicitor commented that we needed to discuss as this changes a lot and I left the court whilst he said he would try and persuade the prosecutor to stick to the original charge due to this being such a last minute change. This worked and the prosecutor agreed (and I never would have challenged this myself or maybe duty solicitor wouldnt either).

With this charge my accident was no longer an aggravating factor. So all I had was mitigating factors of clean licence, good record, good character witnesses.

Somehow I have walked out of there with an £800 fine (including court costs) and 10 points on my licence (maximum on drunk in charge is a 6 month ban) and no community order (also in range for my breath alcohol reading).

This is kind of a fluke because of lazy police charging and a kind magistrate, but also because I had a solicitor to push for me. I'm immensely grateful for that but I want to add that this doesn't take away what happened and what could have happened so this doesn't change my sobriety etc. I feel so fortunate as I know this isn't a normal outcome.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off