17 days and no reply from DVLA?

Convicted Driver Insurance

bilabonic

Hi All

I am a HRO and had my form of DVLA to apply for license on 25/06/19, i returned it same day and still have not heard anything?

I have read other posts on here and it seems the norm is a 7-14 day reply, i am now on day 17!!

Should i be concerned?

Thanks

Just rang them after 3 weeks of not receiving any reply, they have had my letter and it has been referred to the Medical Board..lol
Well i knew that, weird set up they have....

Well the cheque for £90 has cleared plus when i spoke today they stated they are sending out a medical questionnaire for me to fill in and return!
The process does not seem correct to me? 4 weeks and 1 day later!
Plus i have also just had results from Medicare private CDT test and it was 0.5.

Last edited:
No medical yet but i just received a medical questionnaire and forms to give them access to my files due to an existing medical condition!!
First question mentioned dependency!! I have never been dependent on alcohol!!
I did have a wobble in 2011 ish and i do take meds for anxiety/depression but never see my Dr regarding anything except normal checkups when they send me a letter!!

Another little update, received letter today 06/08/19 stating they are writing to my Dr to ensure they do not have any medical concerns?
This can take up to 6 weeks!!
This is unreal, i actually applied 6 weeks ago, ban is up in 47 days!!

They allow your GP 6 weeks to respond before chasing them up if they have not replied.
You should speak with your doctor and ask them to deal with the matter as quickly as possible so as to not delay the process.
You can have it recorded at the same time that you do not have any alcohol related issues.

I did ring my practice earlier, my regular Dr (not that i ever visit...) is off work on sick for an undisclosed amount of time.
They did state they had not received any letter though? I will ring again tomorrow.
The letter was actually dated 01/08/19.

Thanks.

That is why you have to chase things up.
Someone at the surgery might decide “this is best dealt with by Dr X, when he comes back from sick leave” and put it in his pending basket, until the DVLA follow up letter arrives 6 weeks later. Letter dated 1st August, posted 2nd class the next day, should have arrived today but then needs to be opened and booked in (for them to claim the completion fee from DVLA)

My letter has arrived at my practice (09/08/19) but the Dr i usually see and who it is addressed is still off work, so someone else is going to look at it.
The admin lady also stated that i can view the document before it is returned to the DVLA which i have opted to do.
I think i have seen the questionnaire on here somewhere and i should not be concerned as i never see my Dr at all except the standard yearly check-up.
I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression/bipolar in 2009 ish (drinking heavy to self medicate) and have been on same meds since 2011 ish, they have NEVER in ANY way impacted my ability to drive though!!
So it's yet more waiting i presume......

Just been to the Dr's to see a nurse at my practise -14/08/19. My Dr is still off work so another Dr has filled the form in and i have checked through it and have a personal copy.

1. Majority of it is left blank, BUT in Section 1 -Alcohol it asks has the patient suffered from alcohol dependence in last 3 years, NO is ticked.
It then asks if as a result of misuse/dependence has patient required detox treatment - YES, then all it is dated is 2008!!!

2. Also under General it asks- Has your patient ever been diagnosed with any following problems associated with alcohol abuse/any other substance
-YES, ??? Bipolar disorder -last seen 4/02/2014

3. It also then lists my meds and asks -Does patient suffer side effects from their meds likely to affect safe driving? NO
BUT the Dr has then ADDED 'unknown' outside the box!!!!!

Any thoughts guys? I have driven on this medication for years and never had a problem, why has she added that when i have NEVER reported any side effects?

Cheers

Looks like the doctor who filled out your form wasn't paying a lot of attention when he has listed bipolar under problems associated with alcohol or substance use. A mood disorder may be affected by substance use but not caused by it.

All I can say is on my med 4 form my doctor ticked that I had a mild psychiatric condition but did not use the space given below to name the condition or for how many years I had it. I thought this was going to get thrown back but it was accepted and my licence was issued.

When detox has been mentioned at all there is a risk that once the DVLA sees this they will class you as dependent. Even if you aren't dependant or haven't been for years it seems that once they see detox center/withdrawals/seizure they come down with the dependence guidelines which is something to consider.

Last edited:
Yep., i am NOT happy tbh, if my normal Dr was there i know he would of gone through the form with me and answered every question and categorically state that my meds etc do NOT effect my driving etc.

So i may be refused a license now just because my own Dr is off work!!

I can't say wether or not you would be refused. But I can give you advice based on plenty of posts I've read during my time using this forum. The mention of alcohol detox will more than likely band you in with what the DVLA consider to be alcohol dependant. Now I'm not saying you're alcohol dependant, you may not have any problems with drink at all but the mention of a detox center seems to make the DVLA decide you are.

Instead of sending this form off to the DVLA I would wait until your own GP is able to go through the form and answer honestly with you. I think that the mention of detox may prompt the DVLA to look for evidence of abstainance, which you more than likely you will not be able to provide. Again this isn't a professional opinion rather than what I have gathered from my time on this forum.

I'm 100% not dependant, i was drinking heavily when i had depression/anxiety, using alcohol/self medicating. I was not even aware i had done a detox!
I've not drunk for months now as i presumed i would have to do the CDT.The form has been returned by my practice now anyway.
Not a very good system tbh.

You may not be dependant. But if you've been in a detox center the DVLA will class you as dependant, you won't have a whole lot of say in the matter if they do. Play it by ear for now and see what they get back to you with after your doctor's report

I've never been to a detox centre...lol
I was issued diazepam once but unsure of the dates but it was way before 2014.
Ah well, it is what is is i guess, out of my hands, if i have to prove to them then it will no problem, it's just the time waiting, i NEED to drive as it's seriously holding me back atm.

Oh sorry, by you saying you weren't aware you done a detox I thought you meant you couldn't remember doing one, my apologies lol

Don't know why that Dr has put detox on your form if you haven't been through one. You can challenge that with dr's records if they do pull you on it. It's just a waiting game now to see what their decision will be.

Just returned from my medical.

Had my letter to book a medical yesterday 05/09/19 and booked medical for the next day today the 06/09/19.

I had to pay £98.50 cash, was in/out in 20 mins max, no urine test, did not even check my blood pressure.

Had to fill in the same forms about meds i take etc plus a questionnaire on drinking where it scores you.

Well after the DVLA Dr not filling in the form correctly on my medical papers (05/09/19), i had a letter from the DVLA dated 27/09/19 statimg that the Dr had not fully completed the forms!!!!

After ringing the DVLA and the DVLA Dr, i managed to get the form faxed through and received another letter from the DVLA stating 'They have made an initial assessment and it has not been passed on to our qualified Drs) plus we may need to do further check!! This was dated 16/10/19.

Then today i had another letter dated 01/11/19, it had nothing stiff inside/no card so i presumed they had refused me a license!!
I opened to see i have been granted a 3 year license due to my 'medical condition and fitness to drive), still not sure what that is.

Anyway checked online and its been updated, stated full license.:) My ban was up on the 23/09/19!!!

I will add all dates etc to the proper sticky thread when i get chance. Tha nks for the help/advice everyone.

Anyway it's all over thank god!!!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off