10 Months Done, 5 Left

Convicted Driver Insurance

Alrac123

Well Known Member
Hiya.
Hoping for insurance help as my ban end is now in sight.
20 months, down to 15 as I'm doing the IAM course in January.
1. I crashed in to someone's house and wrote my car off, no one else was hurt. Est damage, 3.6k
Is 1k insurance about right? With insurance, I was only putting in the DR10, which brought up quotes of 500 quid, great. But then, I realised I missed the Claims/Accident part and getting 1 to 1.6k quotes.

2. My 15 months will be up on March 30th.
Can I just start driving in April then or do I have to do any administrative stuff? The court didn't take my card licence on the day, nor ask for it?

Advice welcome please, not a very clever person (as you might have gathered from being a drink driver).

Good morning
In reverse order
Re licence - you can get a form from post office don’t wait for dvla to send it - you can send it 56 days before your ban is up send recorded delivery, enclose copy of the driving rehab course certification, & copy of your letter from the dvla that you got about 2 weeks post court
This confirms you are not HRO & no medical
I got mine back in a week pre lockdown 2
Licence you were told at court to return it to the dvla which I would suggest you do Pre re application

Insurance
When you do the course they may give you names of companies
Alth you can use compare market sites they don’t ask re the course so you need to phone a broker

As you have the DR10 plus the accident it will be higher - but depends on age, yr driving, past history, value of car etc

You are wise to start early, it’s hard to get insurance quotes unless you know the reg of the car but you could find a vehicle on a website & use it’s reg to get an idea the policy depends on value of car
Nb you also have to inform your house insurance at renewal that someone in house has criminal convictions
Some companies will not cover, again I used a broker who was good & it could be if you have house & car may get discount -
Hope that helps

Alrac123

Are you classed as a HRO (High Risk Offender)?

If so, you will need to do a DVLA medical before you are reinstated on the road.

CJ

Not a HRO no.
I've just done another home insurance quote and it didn't ask for any convictions??

May be a bit late but who else do I have to tell?
Do I need to tell mortgage?
I don't need a car for work.

Alrac123

At least it'll be far easier getting your licence back if you don't have to do a medical.

Regarding home insurance - I've never understood the rational as to why a drink driving conviction is relevant.

To answer your other questions - car insurance & job applications are relevant for it to be disclosed as an unspent conviction.

As for mortgate applications - its the same as house insurance. Some companies request details of unspent convictions, others don't.

However, if it has not asked you to declare it - then happy days.

CJ

Not a HRO no.
I've just done another home insurance quote and it didn't ask for any convictions??
I have just shopped round for home insurance quotes, 6 companies and all asked if I, or “anyone living in your household” have any criminal convictions.
if you were not asked initially, I would expect it to be a question they ask before you complete the process. Have a look at the fine print to check.

I have just shopped round for home insurance quotes, 6 companies and all asked if I, or “anyone living in your household” have any criminal convictions.
if you were not asked initially, I would expect it to be a question they ask before you complete the process. Have a look at the fine print to check.

Price1367

I take it home insurance quotes asking about unspent convictions ask this as a 'blanket' question?

I would assume someone who has been convicted of cultivating a cannabis farm or committing arson is what home insurance companies are wary of for understandable reasons.

As I have said previously, I never understood the relevance of drink driving for house insurance. Unless they think you are a risk at driving the car into the house when drunk!!!

CJ

Price1367

I take it home insurance quotes asking about unspent convictions ask this as a 'blanket' question?

I would assume someone who has been convicted of cultivating a cannabis farm or committing arson is what home insurance companies are wary of for understandable reasons.

As I have said previously, I never understood the relevance of drink driving for house insurance. Unless they think you are a risk at driving the car into the house when drunk!!!

CJ

this subject used to come up on the drink drive rehabilitation course when we discussed future impacts.
the following week, some reported that their home insurance companies had confirmed that they did indeed consider a drink drive conviction as a relevant criminal conviction to disclose, but I remember one person saying that when they phoned up the insurance company rep laughed and said “why on earth would would we need to know that?”

The reason that insurance companies can consider a drink drive conviction to be relevant is that you have been shown to be reckless with a motor vehicle. If you adopt the same standards with your house and, say, trip over after drinking and set fire to the house, or fall on an expensive TV then they need to take this in to account with elevated premiums.
Following the logic that drink driving has nothing to do with house insurance, you would have to conclude that theft and burglary have no relevance either, because you would not steal from, or break into your own home! ...
As always, it pays to be honest with any insurance quote. If you are asked “do you or anyone living in your household have a criminal conviction?” Then if it is not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act then you should declare a drink drive conviction. If they view it as not relevant it will not affect the premium. If you do not declare it, then make a claim and the conviction comes to light, then you have given them grounds to not pay out because you have not disclosed a “material fact”.

Last edited:
Price1367

Thanks for that. I don't necessarily think it impacts too greatly on house insurance quotes having just the one drink driving conviction.

With insurance companies - if they can invalidate your policy if you are unlucky enough to make a claim, then they will do to stop paying out.

Unfortunately, house repairs are more costly than vehicle repairs. It's better to be safe than sorry, because not declaring a DD conviction could end up in the home owner forking out thousands to repair water damage when the insurance won't pay out!!!

CJ

CJ,
“I don't necessarily think it impacts too greatly on house insurance quotes having just the one drink driving conviction.”

You are right, it probably makes very little difference, if any, to the quote but could have a big impact on the payout if not disclosed!

In the end my quote going through a broker who covers DD offences was cheaper than what I had been quoted
But nb some companies won’t cover you such as LV so before you automatically try to renew with an existing company check if they cover so they can’t refuse you insurance

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off