1 Year abstinence from alcohol required

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hazzer0311

Right here goes.... 2 Drink driving bans, both up years ago now. 2020 as we know was a rough year with loads of delay's within the DVLA. However I reapplied for my license back with a D1 form. Had my medical with the Doctor and 5 months later 17th November 2020 had a response annoyingly saying " You do not meet the current medical standards so therefore cannot drive ". It says that the DVLA will only consider an application when I've been abstinent for a minimum period of 1 year. Bear in mind my CDT Results came back as 0.6%. By the time I went and had my blood tests with the doctor I had been abstinent for nearly 9 months. I was a heavy drinker prior to this and checked myself into rehab in March earlier that year of 2020. So my question is when are they wanting the 1 years abstinence to take affect from ?? is it from when I went to the medical test ? Is it from the date of the letter I received saying I need to remain abstinent for 1 year ? Or is it from March 2020 when I went into rehab and remained abstinent since ? Surly not a difficult question to answer but I've tried calling the DVLA since November last year every day now and not once got through. I'ts an absolute joke ! I know the backlog is no doubt huge but 6/7 months of trying to get through has finally taking its toll. Every time I go onto the online chat they say my question will require calling them. I literally don't know what to do anymore. Anyone else had any similar experiences ?

Right here goes.... 2 Drink driving bans, both up years ago now. 2020 as we know was a rough year with loads of delay's within the DVLA. However I reapplied for my license back with a D1 form. Had my medical with the Doctor and 5 months later 17th November 2020 had a response annoyingly saying " You do not meet the current medical standards so therefore cannot drive ". It says that the DVLA will only consider an application when I've been abstinent for a minimum period of 1 year. Bear in mind my CDT Results came back as 0.6%. By the time I went and had my blood tests with the doctor I had been abstinent for nearly 9 months. I was a heavy drinker prior to this and checked myself into rehab in March earlier that year of 2020. So my question is when are they wanting the 1 years abstinence to take affect from ?? is it from when I went to the medical test ? Is it from the date of the letter I received saying I need to remain abstinent for 1 year ? Or is it from March 2020 when I went into rehab and remained abstinent since ? Surly not a difficult question to answer but I've tried calling the DVLA since November last year every day now and not once got through. I'ts an absolute joke ! I know the backlog is no doubt huge but 6/7 months of trying to get through has finally taking its toll. Every time I go onto the online chat they say my question will require calling them. I literally don't know what to do anymore. Anyone else had any similar experiences ?
Hi Hazzer, unfortunately they want 12 months abstinence of when you can prove it, but don't tell you what proof is required.....

Usually this is helped by having your GP on board, them having a date of last drink registered and regular LFT's to show standardised parameters over a period of 12 months or more.

They do not just take somebody's word for abstinence, they do not even tell people what proof is required, even if you ask them - very frustrating....

Get your GP on board by speaking to them ASAP, explain that you are trying to get your licence back and that you have been abstinent. Ask for regular LFT tests as this can help your case, I'm sure if you get them on your side they will do what is needed.

Hi Hazzer, unfortunately they want 12 months abstinence of when you can prove it, but don't tell you what proof is required.....

Usually this is helped by having your GP on board, them having a date of last drink registered and regular LFT's to show standardised parameters over a period of 12 months or more.

They do not just take somebody's word for abstinence, they do not even tell people what proof is required, even if you ask them - very frustrating....

Get your GP on board by speaking to them ASAP, explain that you are trying to get your licence back and that you have been abstinent. Ask for regular LFT tests as this can help your case, I'm sure if you get them on your side they will do what is needed.
Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it ! Wish I had got on here sooner with this post. Will get onto the doctors first thing to get the ball rolling ! I'll share my journey as and when in hope it will help others out ! Thanks again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off