Oh $h!t. I got a letter from my old insurance company...

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes Sam, if you type in my name in google the first thing that comes up is my conviction o_O . I asked a friend in the US (I am UK) to google me and they confirmed it. They suggested I go mad with social media type to 'push it down' - but I have never done FB, IG etc and I don't want to create those accounts
Hi,

Thanks for the update. I am not able to see mine if i search with my name.

Question, did your conviction got reported on newspaper (local ones mainly) or was it a high profile court case.

Regards,

Sam

Update: I got an email from my old insurance company yesterday to confirm that they had the police report which supported that the other driver was responsible for the crash. So they are telling them to 'satisfy' the claim.
However, if they do not they will take the matter to court and my insurance company wants me to confirm that I would be willing to attend court! Without my participation 'we may be forced to accept full liability'.
Should I be worried out this?
It's great that they have the police report, but I am apprehensive about the court part, so have not yet replied.

Update: I got an email from my old insurance company yesterday to confirm that they had the police report which supported that the other driver was responsible for the crash. So they are telling them to 'satisfy' the claim.
However, if they do not they will take the matter to court and my insurance company wants me to confirm that I would be willing to attend court! Without my participation 'we may be forced to accept full liability'.
Should I be worried out this?
It's great that they have the police report, but I am apprehensive about the court part, so have not yet replied.

I'm going to court in a few months to dispute a personal injury claim recently made against me for a low speed shunt on some black ice in 2018, less than 5mph impact. Definitely go to court, the police report puts the other driver at fault. The claim against me drives the price of my insurance up more than my DR10 on their own.

Thanks @grice96, crikey why would a personal injury claim push your insurance more that a DR10?! Do you think it will still go ahead?
I am just anxious about having to court - that last time I went I got banned.
It would be interesting to know how yours go, if you wanted to share? Either way, good luck with it 🤞

Thanks @grice96, crikey why would a personal injury claim push your insurance more that a DR10?! Do you think it will still go ahead?
I am just anxious about having to court - that last time I went I got banned.
It would be interesting to know how yours go, if you wanted to share? Either way, good luck with it 🤞

I'll try and give you a break down on the prices that come back on confused for me with things declared, all prices include my 5 years NCB(protected at time of crash). So I currently have a DR10 and a £4500 claim against me for the crash that was caused by the drink driving.

Nothing declared: £489
DR10 declared : £725
Claim declared but no DR10: £738
Claim plus DR10 declared: £862

The claim on its own actually effects my insurance more than a DR10 on its own does, only by £13 but still. The claim I'm going to be fighting is from before any of this DD business, the crash was so low speed that there was no damage to either car. The chancer has put in an injury claim 3 years later, my insurance has denied it so he's persuing it in court.

I re-call there was a lot in the news about 'crash for cash' scams around that time too, but waiting 3yrs is really taking the mickey!
Interesting that you have a money figure for the crash due to the DD, as I don't. My insurance company hasn't said anything to me about a cash sum. Wonder if this was because the police investigation concluded before I got my DD ban

You can get your name and conviction removed from Google due to the GDRP, they removed ALL of my convictions and trust me lol it was literally around 28 pages. The insurance company Google your name to see if you have any convictions, they are all arseholes. Get it removed asap.

Thanks @Tyson - how did you do that? I thought that because it was public record it couldn't be deleted?

The insurance company perform a check with the DVLA using your driver number🤦🏼If a driver number isn't provided they perform a check with the DVLA using your date of birth and address. Before you say they don't, they didn't for you, my partner works for Hughes insurance and they most certainly do perform these checks. You are consistently giving bad advice since you joined this forum. Admiral knew about my speeding points and no insurance points and neither of them are in any newspaper. Sterling nearly voided my policy when I forgot to declare 3 points for speeding, the policy was only live for 3 days before they rang me and knew the date of the offence.

Also @Drew B under article 17 of the GDPR, the right to be forgotten, you can request that Google remove any information they hold on you. This does not mean that the news article ceases to exist and won't come up via alternative search engines. The news article will still exist on the newspapers website, that's freedom of the press which is not trumped by GDPR. Under GDPR you do not have the guarantee that Google will remove any results as they are bound by the best interests of the public, if they believe that it's in the public interest to keep a story up they will.

"When you make an application, Google will balance your privacy rights with what’s in the public’s interest to know and the right to distribute information."

You must then follow the same process with Bing and Yahoo. It'll never be gone from seach engines that don't comply with GDPR such as the search engines on the Tor Network. It also will only be removed from the European itterations of the search engines as only the European iterations of the search engines are bound by GDPR. I managed to get 90% of my results from during addiction scrubbed off Google but my request for one of the articles was rejected.

The insurance company perform a check with the DVLA using your driver number🤦🏼If a driver number isn't provided they perform a check with the DVLA using your date of birth and address. Before you say they don't, they didn't for you, my partner works for Hughes insurance and they most certainly do perform these checks. You are consistently giving bad advice since you joined this forum. Admiral knew about my speeding points and no insurance points and neither of them are in any newspaper. Sterling nearly voided my policy when I forgot to declare 3 points for speeding, the policy was only live for 3 days before they rang me and knew the date of the offence.

Also @Drew B under article 17 of the GDPR, the right to be forgotten, you can request that Google remove any information they hold on you. This does not mean that the news article ceases to exist and won't come up via alternative search engines. The news article will still exist on the newspapers website, that's freedom of the press which is not trumped by GDPR. Under GDPR you do not have the guarantee that Google will remove any results as they are bound by the best interests of the public, if they believe that it's in the public interest to keep a story up they will.

"When you make an application, Google will balance your privacy rights with what’s in the public’s interest to know and the right to distribute information."

You must then follow the same process with Bing and Yahoo. It'll never be gone from seach engines that don't comply with GDPR such as the search engines on the Tor Network. It also will only be removed from the European itterations of the search engines as only the European iterations of the search engines are bound by GDPR. I managed to get 90% of my results from during addiction scrubbed off Google but my request for one of the articles was rejected.
I agree with grice 96 - i've worked in the insurance industry for 20 years. Licence checks are done at either point of sale e.g. quote and buy OR (and sometimes also) at point of claim. An insurer is within their rights to refuse any claim if there are any pre existing conditions or licence restrictions not disclosed OR if you do not advise them of any points or medical conditions which arise during the lifetime of the policy.

When you purchase insurance you enter a formal binding contract which is based not only on law but on utmost good faith. E.g. the insurer will promise to pay providing you have not mis-represented or failed to disclose a material fact. If you don't know its a material fact you should disclose it and they will advise you accordingly. Unfortunately those are the rules.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off