DVLA rules and proof of not drinking for 6 or 12 months

Convicted Driver Insurance

blueyonder76

Well Known Member
Hi

I have seen various posts on this , and my wondering as well as the medical questionnaire you send in on applying for your licence - if this is also a new thing you have to prove you haven't drunk for 6 or 12 months. ? At the moment you can't contact them unless your front line staff due to COVID-19.

Also if you are awarded a 1 year temp licence, I know employers can't not not employ you but I'm suppose they can check or licence and then find out your medical condition which doesn't look as 'alcohol misuse or dependant'.

This is worrying me as I am wondering what you say ? Certainly if you come under the alcohol dependant category'. I am not sure any employer certainly in my field would want to employ you. I guess ideally you would look for a non driving based job - ? Or career change

Any advice much appreciated

You only must show 6 months of controlled drinking if the DVLA deem you to be an alcohol misuser. 12 months abstainance if the DVLA deem you as alcohol dependent, they would make this decision based on investigation of your medical history. They don't check with everyones GP there have been a few posts in the past 2 weeks were users got a licence within 2 weeks of their medical.

Employers are not legally allowed to discriminate against medical licence holders anymore nor will the DVLA disclose your medical condition to an employer if they ask. It's up to you to inform your employer's of any medical problems, if you don't have a history of alcohol abuse logged with your GP then you don't have anything to disclose.

I presume as well as contacting my GP and having regular blood tests is it also wise to ask for an LFT at the same time Grice96? I have sustained from drinking since my trip to A and E, but I am sure LFT levels will not have gone down yet. Also if your GP this you may have liver disease from the results what do you put on the D1 form you initially send off and how does this affect your licence ? I am assuming that you would have to prove you hadn't drunk for 12 months rather than the 6. I have a phone a appointment with my GP next week and am worried how I get these with COVID-19 still apparent. Sorry I'm really nervous about this and it is my own fault even though the 2nd time round it was a genuine accident. Also does anyone know what questions are asked when you go the medical with the DVLA doctor?

Many thanks

BlueYonder76

Hi blueyonder76,
I've attached dr1v medical questionnaire,

Attachments

• dr1v-confidential-medical-information.pdf
    234.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks but isn't there another one you fill in at the actual medical appointment. I've seen this one but thanks very much :)

I had my medical last week and the doctor just asked me a couple of questions (when was last drink and if I'm healthy)took my blood and that was it,

I am a second offender though and the second time was a genuine mis judgement the first time young and foolish so maybe different ?

Interesting the only thing that concerns me is I have an accident relating to alcohol and an A and E trip recorded. Did you approach your Doctor at all prior to the medical ?

OK that's alright then the last time I spoke to my Doctor was not alcohol related at all . Hmm confusing on here. I've requested my medical records as I can't get on line but well just call and see what happens and explain the situation - would this be wise ?

I had no incident just caught drink driving second time, contact your doctor to make sure your both on the same level. Stay of the booze until your medical.have regular liver function tests to back up your abstinence from alcohol.

Do they always contact your gp? This is my first offence i have been sober since March, after my offence I went off the rails and had to see my doctor i am currently on medication for alcohol.
Thanks

They do normally contact your GP when you apply for your licence back and require a medical. You will have to give details of your alcohol consumption and medication on the medical form they give you as a part of th process and I think you can be sure in your case that they will contact your GP>

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off