Preparing for DVLA medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

blueyonder76

Well Known Member
Morning all.

I was banned in 2016 following a relationship break down and redundancy. I actually believe I was highly depressed and although no excuse was banned again for the second time in a 10 year period. This resulted after a year in me losing my free lance work and re thinking my career. So I temped for awhile and then decided to do an MA in Planning. This finished in January 2020. As I was on a reduced income when my ban was up I therefore didn't apply to the DVLA as I couldn't afford it. I could have been driving again from May 2019 having done the rehabilitation course. I now feel ready to re take my test and wanted some advice as well as obstaining from drinking on other ways to reduce my CDT levels. Also will the DVLA question why I have applied after my ban is up ? Also my photo has expired on my licence will this cause a problem also ? I really don't want to have to re sit my test as a result.

Many thanks

Blue yonder

Blue yonder

As far as I know you won't have to resist your driving test (you do if you live in Ireland) & the DVLA are not bothered about why you didn't apply for your licence when you were eligible back in May last year.

You will have to do a medical but I am afraid the procedure for the medical is now on hold because of the Coronavirus. This has affected thousands of drivers eager to get back on the road who in theory will have to serve a longer period of their ban.

Hopefully the UK epidemic should not last too long & every single one of us can then resume life again as normal.

CJ

Morning all.

I was banned in 2016 following a relationship break down and redundancy. I actually believe I was highly depressed and although no excuse was banned again for the second time in a 10 year period. This resulted after a year in me losing my free lance work and re thinking my career. So I temped for awhile and then decided to do an MA in Planning. This finished in January 2020. As I was on a reduced income when my ban was up I therefore didn't apply to the DVLA as I couldn't afford it. I could have been driving again from May 2019 having done the rehabilitation course. I now feel ready to re take my test and wanted some advice as well as obstaining from drinking on other ways to reduce my CDT levels. Also will the DVLA question why I have applied after my ban is up ? Also my photo has expired on my licence will this cause a problem also ? I really don't want to have to re sit my test as a result.

Many thanks

Blue yonder
Once the nightmare is over and you apply for your licence, first of all you will need to check with your GP to see if your medically fit to drive, the D1 application form will ask you this question and you will need to supply a new and up to date photograph of your self signed by someone in authority, agiain the D1 application will explain this, cj is right you will not have to resit your test ( unless your in NI or you were ordered by the court) however because you are an HRO and this is your second offence, once DVLA receive your application you will then be investigated through your GP to see if you have or had or present any issues with alcohol or mental health problems,if you have any issues documented with your GP then these will be forwarded to DVLA for them to consider while making a decision to licence you, these issues (if any) could be the result between a temporary 1/3 year licence or a full ten year licence, depending on your cicumstances DVLA may send you for more than one appointed medical so for the lowest possible CDT reading you will need to abstain from alcohol and you will certainly be sent for one, lots of green tea is a good tip for flushing your liver and exercise but other than abstination (which is the best) there is really no other tricks in the book, and again DVLA are not worried the length of time you apply for your licence you will just be treated as a HRO and go through the process, but with the coronavirus now affecting everything who knows what the DVLA timescales are like now, they were shocking to start with, just to give you some idea before the virus took hold you would of been looking at 3/9 months as a HRO by the time all the paperwork was completed between DVLA and your GP .......

Last edited:
Hi Blue yonder
If your classed high risk offender(HRO)
Its not as simple as applying and passing a dvla medical, they will almost certainly write to your GP for a report and this can add another 6 weeks above what's going on with Covid 19 ! Then there's going to be huge backlog.
When they contact your GP they want a report plus medical evidence of your abstinance which you should provide with regular blood checks

It depends what you have spoken about with your GP
If you regularly drink above 14 units per week you will be labelled dependant and must prove abstinence for 1 year medical evidence

If you occasionally drink above 14 units then it's missuse and your expected to show controlled drinking for 6 months # however I would play safe and stick with abstinence

Last edited:
I think from reading this morning news, anyone due to get their driving licences back imminently pending a HRO medical are going to be waiting until June at the earliest.

CJ

Yeh I agree,was myself hoping to supply another liver function test in April I don't think there's much chance of that now for me to continue on a temp licence for next year.....

Hi Blue yonder
If your classed high risk offender(HRO)
Its not as simple as applying and passing a dvla medical, they will almost certainly write to your GP for a report and this can add another 6 weeks above what's going on with Covid 19 ! Then there's going to be huge backlog.
When they contact your GP they want a report plus medical evidence of your abstinance which you should provide with regular blood checks

It depends what you have spoken about with your GP
If you regularly drink above 14 units per week you will be labelled dependant and must prove abstinence for 1 year medical evidence

If you occasionally drink above 14 units then it's missuse and your expected to show controlled drinking for 6 months # however I would play safe and stick with abstinence

Hi there thanks for your response.
There is as far as I can see nothing mentioned about regular blood tests or contacting my GP until I have applied to the DVLA. Nor is there mention of having to do this for a year ………… is there guidance I can find about this on the D1 form it say 6 months not a year and I am well aware there will be delays. I would expect nothing else in the current situation.

I have looked at the medical form and am also concerned about the consultant section. I have abstained for 4 months now but it mentions nothing about blood tests for a year or speaking to your GP other than after you have completed the forms.

Many thanks Blue Yonder76

Attachments

• h1-report-certain-heart-conditions-to-DVLA.pdf
    291.4 KB · Views: 11
You only need to supply liver function tests if you are classed as dependant/misuse through your GP, this is the part that DVLA don't tell you and many people turn to the forum to find out this way, you only need to worry if you have drink related issues documented with your GP otherwise you will go through the HRO process and need to attend a DVLA medical appointment and obviously score the lowest CDT level you can.....

Thanks this now makes sense. Many thanks for clarifying this. I am hoping my liver function will be fine and am doing everything I can to rectify this mistake. I am hoping the DVLA do not question why I didn't apply last year but it was financial reasons predominately and being a student.

No they will not question you about your late application, but they will question your doctor to see if there's any underlying health conditions, but not to worry all HROs will go through this process, this is quite normal, just remember as I think it has been pointed out WHEN you do get a DVLA medical appointment if you are to admit to drinking then no more than 14 units spread over 7 days, anything over this will jeopardise your licence......and no more than 3 drinks in any one sitting otherwise they will class this as misuse......

Ok thanks very much for this. In 2012 I was assulted by an ex partner and do have mental health on my record but I believe this should not affect my application. I was a victim of domestic abuse at the time. How far do they go back on your medical records ?

Thanks for everyone's help !

There is no timescale if it's on your medical notes they will look into it, however on the DR1 you will fill out at your DVLA medical guidance for mental health is the last 3 years.....

So they can see it but its only the last 3 years that is a relief. It's one of those worrying things I didn't expect to see still on record and is now 8 years odd. It was a very unfortunate mistake all round and just very daunting. It's good to be able to gain some experience from this chat forum.

Blueyonder

I have suffered with my mental health too & it's fair to say many thousands of people in the UK will be struggling with their MH at present because of the knock on effects of the Covid 19 virus. The DVLA will not judge you on this - I think you are going to be absolutely fine - unfortunately, like I said before you'll just have to play the waiting game to do your medical. Good luck.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off