My conviction is online... any idea's how to go from there?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drew B

Well Known Member
So, my name and location is online following dd conviction :cry:
I don't do social media at all and confided a friend about what happened. He lives in the US.
He googled my name and it was the first on the list on 3 listings! **** **** ****
He suggested I do facebook, twitter etc to get my name on the search engines so that my dd is not top of the list. Should I do that? I have never knowingly disclosed my details online.
I would appreciate your thoughts/ technical insights on this

Pointless tbh , if someone's searching for your profile chances are they would scan atleast 2 pages past social media stuff,
Other than that what's the odds of someone typing your name and location, did you try yourself and check the UK search results it might differ from US

It's the same results with me here in the UK, that's why I asked my friend in the US, he only typed in my name. I was still first place

Wouldn't worry mate unless your seeking employment that requires you to discuss previous convictions

So, my name and location is online following dd conviction :cry:
I don't do social media at all and confided a friend about what happened. He lives in the US.
He googled my name and it was the first on the list on 3 listings! **** **** ****
He suggested I do facebook, twitter etc to get my name on the search engines so that my dd is not top of the list. Should I do that? I have never knowingly disclosed my details online.
I would appreciate your thoughts/ technical insights on this
Oh no ? I might be anytime now dreading it if it is

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. I tried contacting the publishers etc but they refuse to remove due to it being in 'public interest'. Although, once the conviction is 'spent' you do have grounds to appeal.
I try to use a nickname as and when I can. I have disclosed convictions to employees so when I explain why I don't use my full birth name they are very understanding and set my work accounts up with the nick name / alternative surname.

I’m not in yet they put last week in the court on with all the names and convictions I hope I have been lucky

Brutal that like ? they shouldn’t be able to do it unless ya do go to jail I think
Tis what it is chelsea i am afraid :cool: I am a well known chap amongst the building boys as being a topchippy, I know dozons who do it every day bloody fools.I was in a bad way having cut my fingers off at the time so hit rock bottom and drink would black it out and the only pain relief i could get, My doctor put me on the wrong pain killers stupid fool as i took them to the hospital and the consultant said they were not for nerves,I cut various tendons in my left hand which made it unbearable

If your details are showing on Google searches, you can contact Google directly to have them removed.

@GUSHK, I wish I could do that. But work had already set up my name (in full!) as my email address. Can't get rid of the bloody thing now.
I hope you are doing ok as I am not sure of you background/ history. I was convicted on Oct 2018 and it still feels pretty raw

@topchippyles, damn I admire the way you are handling it.
Trouble for me is that I have a very unique name. My father (now retired by still practicing privately) is very well known, and I work with him part-time as my 2nd job. So I am causing him embarrassment too. Which make me feel even worse

@RSC, I tried the google 'forget me' thing. What was taken away my the census listings which gave my name, address etc. That only left the DD conviction at the top of the list. Wondering if it's possible to 'undo' the forget me and get them back again?

I made the local free paper which is on line as well
Had nearly half page with what cos said plus my solicitor, fine, ban, job title in big letters where I worked, my age, my street my blood result and photo ! And it’s still on line
Going into work the next day and seeing people not knowing who had read it was awful, but the team I was with that day were amazing
But I still get the odd stare in local shops etc
It gets easier

I might not be online yet but already aload if people know ?? Nout else better to do really than gossip like there all perfect ??

thanks @January, I only told family. No-one else. Perhaps I should have told people, then I wouldn't have to feel like hiding all the time and awful about causing grief for my folks :-(

Hi Drew,

I have some experience of your situation. Immediately after my conviction, I was on the first page of Google due to the algorithm that the search engine employs, and the court journalist at the time being a real piece of work - this was after googling: “my name” drink driving “town name”. Someone would have to know my full name, location, age and street name in order to see the articles.

Now that I have my license back, I’ve been driving for over a year and I no longer live in the town where I was convicted, I submitted a right to be forgotten request, and the author of the articles kicked up a fuss. Fortunately, there are a number of people with my exact name who live in the approximate location I used to live, so differentiating between the other people would be impossible. Google apparently told them that it is no longer in the public interest to display these articles, and the author had to take them down; essentially ruling in my favour.

Having bookmarked the webpages of the social media articles and webpages, they now display as a 404 error or the content cannot be displayed.

My advice is to wait until a few years down the line, at least until you have your license returned and are driving again before submitting a right to be forgotten request. When your offence becomes spent, that’s when you can really pile on the pressure.

MM

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off