CDT Test by GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

JayJay46

Well Known Member
I have not had a drink for 10 months not since last new years eve, I had a blood test in April and obv all Liver results were out of range and GGT was 260, I had a blood test in august showing normal liver function ranges but the GGT was not taken but was obviously still raised, I have had another blood test done Mon 15/10/18 and all is still ok but the GGT is still raised at 170 but this has come down from being 260 since stopping drinking so still outside the range, does this affect a CDT test, is the GGT also used in the DVLA medical, when I spoke to my GP Monday she seems to think I will be fine

what a result, just spoken to my GP on the phone regarding my blood test results although I have not drank for 10 months my GGT is still raised but has come down from 260 to 170 and so she is being very kind and having a CDT test done for me on the NHS so I know whether I need to hang fire or go ahead with the DVLA medical

I recently saw my GP as haven't seen him since before my ban (14 months ago) - explained he might get a letter requesting info as going to medical for CDT test - he said NHS don't do them and he has arranged a liver function test to at least give them some evidence of drinking within guidelines.

I only know that high GGT indicates drinking so a reduction from last test would indicate less drinking - would be nice to know what a normal liver function test would read - not of a teetotaller but within the DVLA drinking guidelines.

3 cheers to your GP - if you haven't drank for 10 months cant see how you could fail the CDT test - read on here that anywhere 4 weeks and over you should be clear but half life of CDT is 4 weeks so whatever you CDT is by GP - it will be half in 4 weeks

What does the GP recon about the high GGT - shouldnt this be much lower after 10 months abstinent

I recently saw my GP as haven't seen him since before my ban (14 months ago) - explained he might get a letter requesting info as going to medical for CDT test - he said NHS don't do them and he has arranged a liver function test to at least give them some evidence of drinking within guidelines.

I only know that high GGT indicates drinking so a reduction from last test would indicate less drinking - would be nice to know what a normal liver function test would read - not of a teetotaller but within the DVLA drinking guidelines.

3 cheers to your GP - if you haven't drank for 10 months cant see how you could fail the CDT test - read on here that anywhere 4 weeks and over you should be clear but half life of CDT is 4 weeks so whatever you CDT is by GP - it will be half in 4 weeks

What does the GP recon about the high GGT - shouldnt this be much lower after 10 months abstinent
I have not asked her yet,(as we didn't really go into it on the phone), I can obtain my results on line, I am speaking to her Monday, basically I took my last drink on new years eve, I used to alcohol as coping mechanism and boredom, so I expected my test results to be high in the early part of abstinence, back in April all my results were way out of the ranges my GGT was 260, I was sent for an upper abdominal scan this shows no liver damage or scarring but is slightly fatty but I have also changed my diet since then joining slimming world, I had another test in August but the GGT was not done, but all the other results were normal, I had a test on the 15th of this month including the GGT again all results in the normal range apart from the GGT which has decreased to 170 so it is steadily coming back down, Im sure its nothing to be concerned about but I just dont know how long it takes to return to normal from such a high level. But I shall speak to GP Monday

Last edited:
got this off tinternet

GGT levels become elevated after 24 hours to 2 weeks of heavy alcohol consumption and return to normal within 2 to 6 weeks of abstinence,so looks like 8 weeks max it would be back to normal.

GGT levels can be lowered through a balanced diet that includes ample portions of grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables; this bolsters the body's natural antioxidant defenses. ... Interestingly, moderate to high coffee consumption has been universally shown to reduce GGT.

cant see how they are so high if you haven't drank in so long, unless you have a medical problem causing this - experts on here will have a better idea

Last edited:
got this off tinternet

GGT levels become elevated after 24 hours to 2 weeks of heavy alcohol consumption and return to normal within 2 to 6 weeks of abstinence,so looks like 8 weeks max it would be back to normal.

GGT levels can be lowered through a balanced diet that includes ample portions of grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables; this bolsters the body's natural antioxidant defenses. ... Interestingly, moderate to high coffee consumption has been universally shown to reduce GGT.

cant see how they are so high if you haven't drank in so long, unless you have a medical problem causing this - experts on here will have a better idea
Have no idea, as I said scan results show no liver damage, just slightly fatty, all other levels are normal, it was high at 260 in the fourth month of my abstinence, and now 170 so it is coming down steadily, my GP noted on my blood results that this was to be expected & no further action required, I have changed my diet as am now on slimming world, but I was still drinking a lot of fizzy drink even though no sugar, and apparently this can cause elevation, plus I ate during the night when I woke up and have since read to not eat 10-12 hours before test as this can raise them, I have today been and bought 24 bottles water (2 a day), milk thistle, multi vitamins, Glucosamine sulphate with Vitamin C, and will cut out fizzy pop after this bottle. hopefully that will help.

GGT is highly unreliable as a measure of alcohol abuse, which is why they use CDT. It is best not to be concerned by it.

My Dr doesn't seem concerned, probably because I have had a scan that shows no liver damage only that it is slightly fatty, and the fact that it was 260 at the early stage of abstinence and is coming down steadily at around 10-15 a month, and all my other levels are normal. But I will speak to her on Monday, and I am taking copies of my blood results and scan to medical to show there is no damage and the decrease since abstinence.

I have just started taking milk thistle to try and reduce it further & quicker, however I have read that milk thistle reduces the iron levels in the liver which can then increase the CDT test result, so now I dont know whether to take it or not

Last edited:
Ok so after the cock up with the hospital spelling my name wrong on the tube even though I spelt it out for her (its not hard its only 6 letters), had the CDT test taken today arranged by my GP they say should take upto 14 days as it needs to be sent to Sheffield they same place the DVLA have theirs done from what I understand, the DVLA also cocked up my medical by sending me the details of a Drs practice that no longer does their medicals, despite them being told numerous times, so got another Dr now so need to make the appt tomorrow for after 14 days time, heres hoping, and although I am now in my 10th month of abstinence even avoiding alcohol based products, still have that nagging doubt after reading post from people claiming not to have had a drink in about 7 months getting a result of 3.9%, spoke to my Dr about my GGT level she doesn't seem to concerned as it is coming down steadily she wants to wait for this result but she thinks it may be high and coming down slowly because my liver is slightly fatty and that will take time to rectify its self.

So I have booked my medical for 12/11/18 so this is 14 days from today as it takes upto 14 days for my NHS CDT test results to come back so if all is fine it will go ahead and if not then cancelled and back to the GP, because it will be concerning as I will be in my 11 month of abstinence at the time of the medical, even avoiding alcohol based products but hopefully all will be fine, does anyone which questionnaire is used at the medical I completed both M1 & DR1 to send to DVLA with my application, I will be taking copies of these, my scan results and both blood test from April when my GGT level was still very high at 260 and the one From this month at 170, but If the questionnaire they use is not one of those I mentioned does anyone know what it is so I can download it.

OK, so I have had the medical on Monday and DVLA received my blood results on Wed, still waiting for the faxed report to be scanned onto the system, all went ok apart from 1 question, although the questions ask about the past 12 months the doctor said this question related to a longer period of time, it was " has your drinking caused accident or injury" being told that question was based over a longer period than 12 months I answered yes, and so scored 2 out of the whole questionnaire, I did explain to the doctor that I answered yes in relation to my ban as I had an accident - NO other vehicles involved and NO injury to either myself or any other persons, as I was unsure as to whether she made a note of this I e-mailed DVLA to advise them of this and that this was 18 years ago when I was banned. so hopefully all will be ok, I have sent a request for the results of the blood test to DVLA via e-mail

the dr1 questionnaire is concerning the last 3 years I believe

who did you contact to get your results - I gave the GP my email and mobile to be contacted by the dvla - but got the impression that was just to say the decision was on system not the results

I had a liver function and full blood test by my own GP but after ringing my surgery on the test results number, the receptionist wouldnt give me the actual results as she was not trained - I did point out that she doesnt have to be trained to read results from a piece of paper but she wouldnt do it - so I am getting them mailed out to me.

the dr1 questionnaire is concerning the last 3 years I believe

who did you contact to get your results - I gave the GP my email and mobile to be contacted by the dvla - but got the impression that was just to say the decision was on system not the results

I had a liver function and full blood test by my own GP but after ringing my surgery on the test results number, the receptionist wouldnt give me the actual results as she was not trained - I did point out that she doesnt have to be trained to read results from a piece of paper but she wouldnt do it - so I am getting them mailed out to me.
Hi mate, yes the DR1 is based on past 3 years, I took a completed form with me, they have a slightly longer version of the questionnaire which provides them to put a score number in a box relating to the question being asked, if you can order your prescriptions online from your GPs surgery you can request to have full access to your medical records as I have and so I can see all visits and test results for I think the past 12 months, the DVLA emailed me with an email address where you request your information and then this is passed to which ever department you require your information from - SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk, I did email the DVLA about that question to advise that it was 18 years ago, I will phone Monday and check they have received it. as for DVLA contacting by text or email, I signed that at the very beginning and have only ever received letters

So just to let you know, I telephoned the DVLA today regarding an e-mail I sent and was advised that my licence has been issued, it Is only a 1 year licence but I expected that as I have had 3 disqualifications which all happened within 12 months of getting my licence back each time, but I have no problem with that as I am now completely drink free and would have been for 12 months in 6 weeks time. getting my life back slowly

I also sent an email the wed after my medical to request a copy of the blood results got that in the post today, 0.7% after 11 months of complete abstinence, bit unsure at the moment what happens in a years time, not sure if I have to pay for a new application, or if they just send me questionnaire and write to my Dr, knowing the DVLA the letter I get telling my licence is a full licence for 1 year will not explain anything, I guess I will just have to wait and see, New car on Sunday hopefully and insurance is not that bad as all my DUIs are spent as it has been 18 years since I lost it lowest quote was £546

You do not have to pay for follow up tests if required and yes, they may just send you a questionnaire and ask your doctor.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off