blew 64 and aggravating circumstances - Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

bigsalty85

Hi,

Last week I panicked upon seeing the police car parked in the inside and spent too much time observing them and clipped their wing mirror. No damage was done.

I was brethalized and blew 64.

I am charged with the drink driving offence along with careless driving.

I am offering no excuses but would like a thought on possible outcome.

This is in Northern Ireland.

I have no previous motoring offences or offences or convictions on any type.

Thanks

Hey

Im know expert but I was banned at the start of the year for driving with excess alcohol, i blew 84.. It was just a basic stop and blow.. I got 12 months ban reduced to 9 with a drink driving course. I have just finished the course, and going by my tutor, the majority of people in N Ireland get a 12 month ban for their first time offence. And your reading means you won't be classed as a High Risk Offender. Bad news is that you will have to apply for your licence and sit both your tests again.

Dont worry about it though cause you can't change whats already happened. Everyone makes mistakes in their life.. My ban is up in 11 weeks and its no were near as much of a horrible time as your thinking it will be at the minute.. Chin up and get court over you first.. Then start planning how your gonna get by for the next 9 months.. I have used taxis and friends which has been a great help..

Thanks for the reply Gutted123NI

Think I am looking more due to my panic and minor incident.

I know it's fully deserved ..... Just want to get the ban so I can then move forward.

It's the waiting to get banned that's the real mental punishment.

But as long as nobody was hurt and a massive lesson learned then it will work out.

You will be back on the road soon and I'm sure with a 'lesson learned' bumper sticker.

:)

Without sounding dramatic, when i was caught, the 2/3 weeks waiting for court was the worst.. I really thought that my life was over as I knew it.. But its really not.. Youll get by.. A few people on my TTC course has been caught with a reading higher than yours, with minor crashes and passengers in the car.. Every single one of us have been banned for 12 months, and there is a class of 16..

It'll all fly in for you.. Dont worry or panic

Thanks for your words. It helps to know others have got through it.

I deserve banned because there can never be an excuse to drink and drive and as a lot of people I never thought I would ever be in this situation.

I guess I panicked when I seen the police car as the realisation hit home what a grevious error I made and I just didn't want to drive on if they were stopping me....

I hope it's the 12 months and course as I do not want my daughter to be affected more than necessary for my mistake.

I am glad you are near the end of your ban and will be back in a number of weeks.

I guess we all live and learn and people who are truly sorry and made one mistake will learn and NEVER repeat it.

Thanks again for your words....

No Problem.. This forum and the people on it have really helped me..

Come back on after court and let me know how you got on.. Iv my fingers crossed for you that you will get away with the minimum..

Good Luck

Didn't know the ban guidlines were different in KNI. I blew 87 I think and was banned for 21 months. 9 months would have been a breeze, I am on 14 now and am really struggling to keep my eyes on the prize. Best of luck to the OP.

I apparently hit a kerb after seeing the Cop car (low speed, barely made it out the car park), sheer panic set in and the realization I was driving while sozzled, knew the book was coming at me. Shudder looking back.

Thanks Irrationality

Sometimes it feels unfair but then again it's the what could have happened which makes the issue serious in the majority of cases...

Like you the reality hit home when I seen the police car parked and slowing down as I knew I would be stopped and rightly so led to my lesser error .... But the error of getting in the car was the most shameful I've ever made.

Nobody to blame but myself and something I will never repeat.

Drink has been knocked on the head albeit I drink very seldom.....

Sure we all live and learn and the mistake and serious error in judgement a lot of us made could have been a deadly if not for police intervention....

14.11.14 I shall need my golf umbrella and bus pass for a considerable time but better that than having hurt or even killed an innocent person...

Hope your ban goes quickly and you will be back on the roads a lot wiser soon...

Good luck and keep the chin up!!!!!

Thanks Irrationality

Sometimes it feels unfair but then again it's the what could have happened which makes the issue serious in the majority of cases...

Like you the reality hit home when I seen the police car parked and slowing down as I knew I would be stopped and rightly so led to my lesser error .... But the error of getting in the car was the most shameful I've ever made.

Nobody to blame but myself and something I will never repeat.

Drink has been knocked on the head albeit I drink very seldom.....

Sure we all live and learn and the mistake and serious error in judgement a lot of us made could have been a deadly if not for police intervention....

14.11.14 I shall need my golf umbrella and bus pass for a considerable time but better that than having hurt or even killed an innocent person...

Hope your ban goes quickly and you will be back on the roads a lot wiser soon...

Good luck and keep the chin up!!!!!

Thanks, well I was reduced down to 16 months with DD course so I am back on the road on 27th Dec, not too long!

It is a total mixed bag of emotions so I know what you are feeling. Started as anger with me. I was very angry at being caught at first (as if I hadn't done anything wrong) then was angry at the length of ban, angry that I knew others doing it/having done it with no consequence, after the DD course my attitude changed wholesale. I accepted it and then felt strong remorse and am now getting on with it, serving my time and ready to relish life again as a newly responsible driver. I will never touch a drop and drive again.

There are some really bad days at times still, if I can't catch a lift it takes me 2hrs 45 mins to get to work (only 20 miles as the crow flies!) and 3 hours to get back. Door to door, 6am to about 830pm. I was also assaulted on one occasion by a group of rowdy thugs on a bus who tried to steal my mobile. Its fair to say I haven't been converted by public transport and will not miss it one bit. Haven't even saved any money either as being out basically all day means eating out in between waiting for buses.

Incidentally the positive from this ban is not having to go over to NI all the time where the Company head office is, bloody long days too.

Court sentence ---blew 64 and aggravating circumstances - Northern Ireland

Update

Was in court today and received the following:

Carless driving charge dropped

Drink driving sentence as follows:

12 months reduced to 9 with drink drive course (which was granted)

£400 with 26 weeks to pay.

Many thanks for your comments Gutted123NI AND Irrationality.

Stressful time but I have learned my lesson and will not repeat.

Glad to hear, you got the best possible outcome.. 9 months seems like a long time but its really not.. 8 weeks until I can apply for my licence again.. One bit of advice, I found it helpful to leave the drink driving course as long as possible away.. It means that your waiting on that start date rather than your date for licence.. I completed my course about 3 weeks ago.. Just make sure you do it within the time allowed by the court..

Cheers Gutted123NI,

Yeah, that is good advice about using the course to break up the ban.

Just got to have a few things to concentrate on for the first few months until I am into the ban.

Will be fine and hopefully in a few months you will be back on the road and apart from your wallet being lighter (insurance wise) you can put this behind you.

Keep us informed about how you get on with the theory and practical tests.

It always a shame when people do not post until the end of the ban.

All the best :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off