DBS checks and driving instructor course.

Convicted Driver Insurance

raaaar

Sorry if this has been covered in the past. I’m looking to start a driving instructors course. I have a drink drive conviction from about 25 years ago and a second just under ten years after that. Are these spent convictions or do they still show up for jobs such as this. The company said I fit their requirements but couldn’t help as to if I’d pass the dbs. In short the last of these was well over eleven years ago and I have no more convictions. Thanks lots if anyone can shed some light.

Sorry if this has been covered in the past. I’m looking to start a driving instructors course. I have a drink drive conviction from about 25 years ago and a second just under ten years after that. Are these spent convictions or do they still show up for jobs such as this. The company said I fit their requirements but couldn’t help as to if I’d pass the dbs. In short the last of these was well over eleven years ago and I have no more convictions. Thanks lots if anyone can shed some light.
Getting mixed messages. Driving school say I fit their criteria but can’t say if dsa will accept me doing this role but I’ve called them and they say although it will show up it’s doen to the school to decide. The school day it’s doen to them. Does anyone have any experience of this.

They are spent convictions for ordinary jobs, but both are liable to show up on a DBS check. A single conviction would not show up after 11 years on a DBS, but with more than one conviction (for any criminal offence) then neither become spent for this purpose. It may be that the police force where you had your conviction 25 years ago have weeded such old convictions from the PNC, but many forces have not.
i recollect hearing some while ago that there was a bar for 10 years on being a driving instructor after a Drink drive conviction. But both of yours are beyond that.
of course if the driving school proved to be difficult, as the DSA seem to be happy, you could always set up on your own after you qualify.

They are spent convictions for ordinary jobs, but both are liable to show up on a DBS check. A single conviction would not show up after 11 years on a DBS, but with more than one conviction (for any criminal offence) then neither become spent for this purpose. It may be that the police force where you had your conviction 25 years ago have weeded such old convictions from the PNC, but many forces have not.
i recollect hearing some while ago that there was a bar for 10 years on being a driving instructor after a Drink drive conviction. But both of yours are beyond that.
of course if the driving school proved to be difficult, as the DSA seem to be happy, you could always set up on your own after you qualify.
Thanks a lot. The driving school have no issue but say the dsa may refuse. I feel reassured by the info but will have to wait and see for a definite.

Yes, I think the DSA are the key to this. A driving school might be very optimistic about your chances of getting a job..... because they want you to pay for a course with them. If you can’t get employment it doesn’t matter to them because they have had your money!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off