DD conviction 6 years ago and insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

Single Fish

Back in January 2011 I was convicted of DD after my car crashed into a bush at the the side of the forest. I was banned for 2 years. I phoned up Admiral and told them about the accident the day after the crash, They asked me if I had been drinking and I told them the truth. They cancelled my insurance as they said they don't cover accidents that involve drink driving.
I'm now wanting to drive again but I'm not sure if I need to declare this cancellation. I phoned up Adrian Flux who was recommended by a friend and told them about it. The man on the phone said that I didn't need to declare it as it was just part of Admirals internal processes and insurance co's are only interested in things like non payment or fraud. He said I didn't even need to tell him. They gave me a quote for £1200 for a Toyota Aygo.
I'm aware that I no longer need to declare my DD as that was over 5 years ago. It's just the insurance that I'm worried about. As the cancellation was due to drink driving and I don't need to declare drink driving after 5 years, do I need to declare the cancellation? All of the comparison websites won't give me quotes if I try. I've tried to get a quote from Admiral and they said that they can't give me a quote. After an hour on the phone and speaking to 3 people they couldn't tell me why.
If I answer no on the comparison sites I'm getting quotes of around £700.

Sorry for the long post and thanks anyone who read it all.

Back in January 2011 I was convicted of DD after my car crashed into a bush at the the side of the forest. I was banned for 2 years. I phoned up Admiral and told them about the accident the day after the crash, They asked me if I had been drinking and I told them the truth. They cancelled my insurance as they said they don't cover accidents that involve drink driving.
I'm now wanting to drive again but I'm not sure if I need to declare this cancellation. I phoned up Adrian Flux who was recommended by a friend and told them about it. The man on the phone said that I didn't need to declare it as it was just part of Admirals internal processes and insurance co's are only interested in things like non payment or fraud. He said I didn't even need to tell him. They gave me a quote for £1200 for a Toyota Aygo.
I'm aware that I no longer need to declare my DD as that was over 5 years ago. It's just the insurance that I'm worried about. As the cancellation was due to drink driving and I don't need to declare drink driving after 5 years, do I need to declare the cancellation? All of the comparison websites won't give me quotes if I try. I've tried to get a quote from Admiral and they said that they can't give me a quote. After an hour on the phone and speaking to 3 people they couldn't tell me why.
If I answer no on the comparison sites I'm getting quotes of around £700.

Sorry for the long post and thanks anyone who read it all.

Hi Single Fish,

As far as I'm aware, and I'm only going by price comparison websites, not the actual companies, you only have to declare any unspent convictions (of which you have none due to yours being more than 5 years ago now) as well as any accidents in the past 5 years (once again yours was more than 5 years ago) - nothing is mentioned about having to declare cancelled insurance, I feel there may be more to this. If it was an issue, Admiral would have issued you with some form of letter telling you that your policy had been cancelled.

On the face of it, it seems like you have nothing to worry about however I would honestly just roll with the process in your case and only declare it if absolutely required although I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that there is a blanket 5 year declaration period on anything 'bad' on your license or with regards to insurance.

Speaking of Adrian Flux, there are better value companies out there however, they are reputable and never gave me any hassle when I was last with them (it's been a while!).

EDIT: I just ran into this post on gocompare http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/declarations-and-non-disclosures/ It seems as though it differs from company to company. Adrian Flux appear to not really care when it comes to having a policy cancelled.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off