Driving hire care before court date...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Roguetrooper

I'm waiting for my court date at end of month, would I have problems hiring a car and do I have to tell them of ongoing conviction?

Hire companies in the U.K. do a check in the DVLA database before hiring a car out, and most have a policy that they will not hire to someone with a DR10 or a DR30 for 5 years from the date of conviction.
in theory, hiring a car abroad should have the same restrictions as these companies are multi-national but in many countries there are no checks carried out when you hire, nor do they even ask for the DVLA confirmation code that you are supposed to print out before you go abroad.

Last edited:
Hire companies in the U.K. do a check in the DVLA database before hiring a car out, and most have a policy that they will not hire to someone with a DR10 or a DR30 for 5 years from the date of conviction.
in theory, hiring a car abroad should have the same restrictions as these companies are multi-national but in many countries there are no checks carried out when you hire, nor do they even ask for the DVLA confirmation code that you are supposed to print out before you go abroad.

Yes, i recently hired a car in the Geneva (After a ban finishing in April 2016) to drive in the Alps on snow covered roads, no questions asked, just show licence and off you go.

It seems crazy that i could hire a car (left hand drive) for a week driving in much more extreme conditions than the UK could ever throw at you but, in little old UK, they probably wont let me hire some poxy little hatchback even though i legally drive a group 44, high -performance car on the same roads- more fool them!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off