Want to know what to expect, would be happy to hear an answer.

Convicted Driver Insurance

kondor

Hello there,
Been stopped by a police in October 2016 and charged drink driving in a police station, (breath test shown 0.69mg)
court was arranged in december and so I decide to hire a barrister to have at least slight chance that I will be able to avoid ban..
Never been charged in my life, don`t really know how everything works and truly said didn`t think it`s that serious before started to read
all those posts in this forum.
Well me and my barrister appeared in court and we made a decision to ask for the second hearing which would happen in april
by the reason I been told whenever my license will be banned it will be banned only in UK, and I will still be able to
drive in europe, is that true?
I heard it somewhere from people been banned before and took it as a true information,
and also my barrister said the same. But when I called the company representing my rights, admin said that this is not true,
and my driving license will be banned for driving everywhere till the ban expires..
And I`m so disappointed now, and don`t know where is true,
because what I wanted to do is win a bit more time before I move to europe and be able to drive there,
because I do job with driving and without my license I gonna struggle too much..
I wanted to ask for advice, from one hand my barrister gave me fault information in case that`s not true,
and now I have to pay them twice more than i paid before first hearing for nothing, as my license will be taken away anyway...
Well at least I think like this now.
It`s a bit complicated, but if someone will give me advice and more infor it will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Did you have a UK licence or one from another country?

If it was a U.K. One then you have lost the ability to drive in other countries with your UK licence because it is no longer valid. It is quite simple, normally UK motorists can drive in other countries because they recognise our licence and allow you to drive there. But you have not at the moment got a UK licence so cannot rely on it to be allowed to drive abroad.

if, however, you hold a licence from another country, you have lost your right to drive in the U.K., but you can still use that licence to drive in your home country and in fact any other country that recognises your licence as being valid to drive in their country - most of the world probably.

Thanks for reply,
very useful but exactly what I was afraid to hear,
as I changed my european license to the british one last summer.

What would you think the chances to win the case with a good barrister?
Or you think it`s only money wasting as soon as charge been issued already and no comments been made from me?

And also does anybody know if DVLA let the origin country my license been issued from know that i got a ban?
Or I just can recover my european license from my home country... And still be able to drive in europe..
If it does make any sense.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts..

Once you have exchanged your licence for a U.K. One, your home one ceases to have any effect and cannot be 'resurrected'.
there is an European convention, adopted by most EU countries, which prevents a person from having a driving licence in more than one member state at a time. You could, in theory, apply for another licence (and pass a test) in your home country again, but if it was discovered that you also had a U.K. Licence then you could be in trouble.
i haven't seen this tried before, but what if you applied to your home country to exchange your U.K. Licence for one there? As the case is not heard until April then you may have time to do this. Your 'home' country may require you to demonstrate residence for a time before they allow this, but it could be worth enquiring. That way you are banned in the U.K. on your foreign licence, but that does not have any effect in Europe.
it isn't possible to give any guidance on getting found not guilty without knowing all the details of the offence. You should discuss this with your barrister, and hopefully his knowledge of Drink Drive law will be greater than his knowledge on driving licences......

Last edited:
Thanks again price1367,
I was thinking about this as well,
and I have a property in my country so that might work..
Will definetely try this nearest future, it`s a pity that I didn`t try this earlier, as there would be more time to sort this out.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off