Caught in Northern Ireland in May - Told of prosecution late Sept. Complex story ...

Convicted Driver Insurance

GBFast

I live in Northern Ireland but the legal limit is the same as in England and Wales and the road traffic laws are virtually the same.

I had a massive bereavement in late March and starting drinking heavily in April. However, I had not been drinking in over a week when, on 3 May, I learnt that a large debt had not been repaid to me. That morning, I went and bought wine and drank a bottle of it before 12.00 noon.

After 6.00pm, because I believed that I would now be below the limit, I drove to get a bottle of brandy from the local shop (I was tired and achy from insomnia) and had no brandy in the house, and wanted some because it helped me to sleep, and then drank more wine and a a little bit of the brandy when I got home.

At 7.55pm, the police came to the door and said they had had a report from a neighbour that I had "stumbled" from my car (this is not unusual - I am clumsy), and he officer could also smell alcohol from my breath.

He said he wanted me to do a breath test. I told him I would fail it as I had been drinking. Nonetheless, he said he wanted me to do it and I did. The breath test was 84, which was no surprise. He arrested me.

Two hours later, at the police station, the official test was 77. I have got in my mind that the prosecution will persuade a judge that it should have continued to rise and the judge will not believe what happened.

I was interviewed the next day and the officer doing the interview said I would be given a CD copy of the interview. I never was. I was then released.

I heard nothing more until I received papers at the end of September saying I was to be prosecuted, so I hired a solicitor.

The papers include all of the witness statements they intend to use, one of which includes the police officer stating that I was given a copy of the interview, which I was not, so I have had to recollect this. It also has the neighbour's statement, which adds that I had stumbled on the steps to my back door, but they are invisible from anywhere in that neighbour's vicinity.

One of the officer's statements also says that he took-away two items for evidence: an empty wine bottle, and the bottle of brandy with what he says was a "small amount" taken from it. But I had two bottles of wine - one earlier, one later with the small amount of brandy and a very small bit of something else.

My solicitor wants me to complete a toxicology form for analysis, which I have done. He says this is called a "hip-flask" defence, but it never occurred to me that I was drinking later to hide earlier - I was drinking to block-out emotional trauma and financial shock.

Apart from being stressed-out about the whole thing, I am also worried at how the breath tests look: even to the police, they must seem too high for a bottle of wine consumed between 11.30am and before 12.00 noon, yet they seem a bit low for this plus the after-driving bottle of wine and the small amount of brandy.

How much in a breath test would equate to one unit, or does it depend on the person's height/weight/tolerance/food consumed, etc?

What is also bound to look bad is that, immediately after this, I felt so insecure and worried about falling under any more suspicion that I handed both sets of my car-keys over to my best friend, and my drinking deteriorated over the summer to the extent that I had a chat with my doctor and agreed to surrender my driving licence.

I'm not driving anyway, but what do you think my chances are of avoiding a conviction?

I think it was 13.5% but the arresting policeman took the empty bottle away and I threw other empty bottles away when I came home. I'm not totally sure what the wine was but think it was Bankrock Station.

I reckon there were about 10 units in the bottle and it was over six hours between finishing the bottle and driving, so, at an average rate of processing the alcohol at one unit per hour, I would have had about four units in my system when I drove the car. I don't think four units would put a (roughly) 14 stone man over the limit, would it?

I think handing-over my keys to stop ay accusations like this again and then surrendering my licence after that were responsible things to do, just worry that they look bad.

You are right that a bottle of 13.5% wine contains about 10 units, and that if you drank that between 11.30am and 12, you wound have about 4 units of alcohol in your system at 6pm.... BUT that presumes that you had not been drinking the night before and had some alcohol in your system from that.
each unit of alcohol, for a man, produces a reading of about 7 on the breath test machine. You can ignore the house result of 84, and cannot make any comparison with the subsequentreading of 77 at the police station because the hand held breath test used is only battery operated and merely an INDICATION of your reading, it is not evidence.
77 is about 11 units. At 10pm, when you provided your evidential test, There would be no units left still from the morning, that indicates that you consumed about 11 units after getting home, so your account is plausible.
The toxicology report will be more accurate than this, because that will have asked for details of your height and weight etc, but the above answer gives broad brush strokes as to how the 'hip flask' defence works. BUT that is not the whole answer. All the above, and the toxicology report, depends on your account being true. You then have to satisfy the court, on the balance of probability, that you DID drink alcohol after driving AND that it made the difference to you being over the legal limit. With witness this can be easy, with just your word for it, the magistrates may decide that they are not satisfied that you did in fact consume alcohol after driving.
'In your favour, you said from the outset that you had drank alcohol after getting home, and your account should show to be credible in the toxicology report. I would expect that your solicitor will submit this report to the prosecuting authority and invite them to discontinue the case. That would be great, but they might also dig their heels in and commission their own expert to produce a report. If you then end up with a trial with experts giving evidence and you lose, the costs will all be down to you.
I am not trying to scare you off, just give you a realistic picture of the battle that you could face.

The first time this "hip-flask" phrase was ever used to me was by my solicitor a week or two ago. I had never heard of it of it and, so, it obviously never occurred to me.

When the police arrived in the evening, after I had been drinking at home, I told them I was sure I would fail a breath test - which of course I did. I didn't even know how to do it as I had never done one.

I am almost certain that one bottle of wine drunk before 12.00 noon would NOT put me above the limit after 6.00pm, but I guess it's in the lap of the Gods because I was well above the limit when they tested me, and it's my word against their (apparent) belief later in the evening.

That the neighbour's statement contains an element of lies and the policeman who took my statement saying I had or would be given a recording of my interview, again totally untrue, are not going to help matters - as I believe they should as they are patently untrue (my Solicitor knows this).

Sorry: PS: I had had absolutely nothing to drink for at bleat ten days prior to starting to drink the wine by 11.30am on 3 May, so the starting-point was zero.

But the police have lied in their statement (they never gave me a a copy of my interview) and my neighbour, who says I stumbled into my house, couldn't possibly have seen my back entrance or steps - they are invisible to her.

Just to complete the picture.

I simply wouldn't (couldn't) have driven a car at the levels recorded later.

I think the police see it as a capture if they get a (wrongful) conviction - which is not what I think the police should be about, but there you go.

PPS: how do you edit posts? my typing is not good and I type faster than my "skills" permit?

;-)

You have a 10 minute window after you make a post to edit it. After that it is fixed.
i don't always read mine afterwards.... the computer is OK but my IPad does some funny substitutions occasionally.

Well, my first "appearance" was last Friday but the Solicitor said I didn't have to go and it would be over in five minutes because I'm contesting it and awaiting a toxicology report.

It wasn't that easy remembering in fine detail what happened six months ago - seems ridiculous to me that the police can put in their witness statement that they gave me a copy of the CD recording of my interview with them immediately after the interview, when they did nothing of the sort.

The officer may have placed a copy of the interview with your property bag, but when you were released the custody officer didn't hand it to you.
in any case, that is a minor side issue, your solicitor can request a copy of the interview now.
you should concentrate on the important issues in your case. Have you had some photos taken from where your neighbour says he was standing when he saw you 'stumble up the steps? You should get some done with a time / date stamp on them, at a similar time of day, or lighting to show the court what it would have been possible for the witness to see.

Yes, pictures taken and given to solicitor.

It is impossible to see my back entrance (which I always use for entry and exit from my house) from the neighbour's house, garden or vicinity of same, and no one followed me to my back door, so it just didn't happen.

As for the stumbling, I wouldn't dispute that - I have done it countless times: the drive has a border between it and the garden which is easily tripped on/over when getting out of the car. I am a rather clumsy person, so there's no point denying that.

I didn't have a property bag - the police said, in the statement, that they gave me a CD copy of the interview and did not. Maybe they i ntended to, maybe they didn't, but they didn't give it to me.

My situation just rumbles on and on ....

In early Decemeber, my solicitor said I should pay for an expert report to perform a "back calculation" and arranged for a form to be sent to me to complete. Given that, at that point, it was seven months from the event and I expressed reservations that I may not be able to accurately recall every last detail, he just said to complete it "to the best of my ability". This I duly did.

There was a hearing on 7 December, which I attended but was then told by a barrister that I didn't need to as nothing would be decided other than to fix a date.

That date was 21 December and I didn't have to attend that one either, but, at that hearing, a further date was set for 11 January and I was told I would not have to attend on that date either.

In the meantime, the solicitor had forwarded the expert's report to the prosecution (known as the PPS in NI).

At the hearing on 11 January, the case was adjourned until 23 January and I have been told that I do not have to attend then, either and, again, nothing will be decided and another date will be be set.

How long can these things drag-on for? Or is this is a (typically) Northern Irish thing? It is all incredibly frustrating!

Well my solictior commissioned an expert toxicologist's report. He conclusions were that the evidential breath test could explain my post-driving drinking. She also concluded that, at, at a notional maximum rate of elimination of alcohol, my breath reading at the time of driving would have been zero, whereas at the minimum rate of elimination, it would have been 24. However, he conclusion was that the likely reading would have been 6.

My solicitor says this is favourable, as the witness statements for the prosecution are otherwise hearsay. He gave the report to the PPS (the Northern Ireland version of the CPS), but has not heard back from them. Neither do they appear to have provided any reports to him other than the witness statements. I imagine they have done their own forensic stuff.

However, the case is now scheduled for hearing on 3 May, so they still seem determined to prosecute. I guess I am a bit concerned that they may have something else up their sleeve, though I don't know what it could be and I would have thought their case has to be based entirely on the papers that they provided me with a copy of at the end of September, and whatever evidence is heard in court. This is true, isn't it?

The hearing on 3 May means it will be a year to the day since the alleged incident - it has been an extremely long wait and I must admit that my recollection of finer detail from that day is now more than a little vague, which does worry me a bit if I have to give evidence and come across as at all hesitant, though the solicitor says no one is going to expect anyone to remember everything from 12 months ago.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off