Disqualification Period

Convicted Driver Insurance

Withnail

Hi all, does anyone know how the precise disqualification period is calculated?

I was sentenced to a 20 month ban, reduced by 20 weeks (after completing the course) on September 1st last year. I interpreted that to mean I would get my licence back on December 1st (ie 15 months after date of conviction).

I'd not received my D27 to reapply for my licence so checked my disqualification period on the DVLA site and it's showing Dec 11th as the end date.

As it happens I won't have access to a car until Dec 12th so it doesn't affect me in real terms, but I thought they'd make the ban period a bit clearer in court to be honest. I'm sure Dec 11th is the right date and I'm not lookng to challenge it or anything, just interested as to how they work it out.

Cheers

The simple answer is that 20 weeks is not 5 months. The reduction for doing the course is UP TO 25% .... in your case the court decided to award you a 20 week reduction rather than 5 months, hence the 9 day discrepancy in what you worked out versus what you have been actually given.

Thanks, makes sense.

I should have done the maths, 20 weeks is 140 days, which is nearer 4.7 months not 5. Fair enough, for some reason I had 20 weeks = 5 months in my head.

Ta for the reply!

According to the DVLA and the instructor on my awareness course the D27 form is no longer issued automatically.

I was told to fill in a D1 form and send it back to the DVLA. Best bet would be to ring the DVLA. They can give you an exact driving date and advise you on which form to fill in.

Good advice, thanks.

Work's taking me out of the country soon as well, so even if they send the D27 on time I wouldn't get it for a while. I'll give the DVLA a buzz tomorrow but sounds like being proactive with the D1 is the way to go.

Ta.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off