Help! Handed myself in for Drink Driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luto

I am in a whole heap of trouble and need advice please :(

I have PTSD and have been under a lot of stress - neither excuses for drink driving I know - but I was stupidly anaesthetising anxiety and flash backs with wine - worse still I am a nurse who should have known better!! I am also a nurse

I did the most ridiculous thing I have ever done a few nights ago, something that has led to great shame for me since. I wasn't caught drink driving - I actually punished myself for being inebriated by getting in my car and driving to the local Police station (Approximately one mile away) and handing myself in!!

I was arrested. handcuffed, breathalysed and had two identical readings of 77 in breath. I then spent 14 hours in a cell before being charged - I appear in court in two weeks time. I have never broken the law before and can't quite believe what I have done.

At the Police station I was seen by a lovely mental health nurse who asked me how I had managed to get myself into this position and I told her everything, albeit in floods of tears. Her advice to me was that I need urgent support and a referral to psychiatry due to PTSD. I never talk about this condition as I have tried to manage it myself for years - however I have been questioning since why any sane person would drive to a Police station, knock on the door and confess like I did. I am clearly in need of help, so have asked for a psychiatric referral

The cost of this is huge, so I have self destructed in the worst possible way. I will likely lose my job and license but don't know what to expect in court/whether to represent myself/offer mitigation/or whether they will make an example out of me because I'm a nurse

Can anybody advise please

Many thanks

Luto

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in a whole heap of trouble and need advice please :(

I have PTSD and have been under a lot of stress - neither excuses for drink driving I know - but I was stupidly anaesthetising anxiety and flash backs with wine - worse still I am a nurse who should have known better!! I am also a nurse

I did the most ridiculous thing I have ever done a few nights ago, something that has led to great shame for me since. I wasn't caught drink driving - I actually punished myself for being inebriated by getting in my car and driving to the local Police station (Approximately one mile away) and handing myself in!!

I was arrested. handcuffed, breathalysed and had two identical readings of 77 in breath. I then spent 14 hours in a cell before being charged - I appear in court in two weeks time. I have never broken the law before and can't quite believe what I have done.

At the Police station I was seen by a lovely mental health nurse who asked me how I had managed to get myself into this position and I told her everything, albeit in floods of tears. Her advice to me was that I need urgent support and a referral to psychiatry due to PTSD. I never talk about this condition as I have tried to manage it myself for years - however I have been questioning since why any sane person would drive to a Police station, knock on the door and confess like I did. I am clearly in need of help, so have asked for a psychiatric referral

The cost of this is huge, so I have self destructed in the worst possible way. I will likely lose my job and license but don't know what to expect in court/whether to represent myself/offer mitigation/or whether they will make an example out of me because I'm a nurse

Can anybody advise please

Many thanks

Luto

Hi,

Firstly I hope you receive the help you need.

Regarding what to expect at court. A driving disqualification is mandatory for drink driving.

Upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol (drink driving) and a breath reading of 77 Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest a band C fine and a driving disqualification of between 17 and 22 months.

The majority of first time offenders are usually offered the opportunity of taking the drink driving rehabilitation course, upon completing the course, the length of any disqualification imposed will be reduced by up to 25%.

I can tell you that I know a nurse personally, who was disqualified for drink driving and they kept their job. It sounds like it may be a good idea for you to take some time off work until you get your mental health problems addressed, if of course, it is affecting your ability to do your job efficiently.

Our guide to appearing at Magistrates' Court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you. Keep us updated and let us know the outcome of your court case as it may help others who find themselves in a similar predicament in the future. In the mean time, feel free to ask any questions you need to in the forum.

I read that if there are exceptional circumstances involved that they may be less harsh, is this true? If so do they need to be presented in mitigation?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off