Drink Driving with a EU driving licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

nicholasrou

Hi,

2 years ago I have been disqualified for 12 months for drink driving in Northern Ireland. I have a E.U. driving licence. Blood test showed just over the limit, 86. The 12 months expired at the end of 2015. Can you please advise what I need to do to be able to drive again in Northern Ireland? Thanks very much!!

You can call the Driver & Vehicle Agency in Northern Ireland on 0300 200 7861. They can advise you on how to proceed.

I phoned them twice and I have got two different answers. 1. I need to pay £104 and apply for a provisional licence and start all over including theory test and practical. 2. I pay the £104 and get a new UK licence as the previous one was issued by other EU country.

I am confused of what I need to do.

I phoned them twice and I have got two different answers. 1. I need to pay £104 and apply for a provisional licence and start all over including theory test and practical. 2. I pay the £104 and get a new UK licence as the previous one was issued by other EU country.

I am confused of what I need to do.

The first answer they gave you is correct, the second one isn't.....
Everyone disqualified in Northern Ireland is required to revert to a provisional licence and resit their theory and practical test after being disqualified for drink driving. The fee for this provisional application is £104.
any EU licence can only be used in Northern Irelnd for 6 months after you take up residence, so if you have lived in NI since December 2014, or longer, your EU licence would not count there now anyway.
you cannot exchange your EU licence for a Northern Ireland one and then drive, because they are aware that you have been disqualified.... That is why you have been quoted £104. This is the fee for disqualified drivers to apply for a provisional. The fee for a straight exchange is £65.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off