Since my crash I have heard nothing from my Insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

dvb723

Back in February 2015 I had a crash involving another car. Because of me being of the limit, the insurance company said I will need to pay for damages to the other persons car and Injuries.

Last time I heard off them was July 2015.

1) Why haven't I heard since?
2) Could the other person insurance be invalid? Would they notify me about that?
3) Can they come after me at any time? Currently looking at buying a house.

Any help is appreciated :)

Back in February 2015 I had a crash involving another car. Because of me being of the limit, the insurance company said I will need to pay for damages to the other persons car and Injuries.

Last time I heard off them was July 2015.

1) Why haven't I heard since?
2) Could the other person insurance be invalid? Would they notify me about that?
3) Can they come after me at any time? Currently looking at buying a house.

Any help is appreciated :)

I'm not sure if the other persons insurance being valid or not will have any bearing on your liability.

Maybe you should give your insurance company a call to find out what is happening?

This thread may prove informative for you.

I'm not sure if the other persons insurance being valid or not will have any bearing on your liability.

Maybe you should give your insurance company a call to find out what is happening?

This thread may prove informative for you.

Your insurance company will now have no further involvement.

When the third party claim was submitted, your insurer would have made the third party's insurer aware of their drink drive covernance and your conviction. The third party's insurer would then have accepted that your insurer wasn't liable to pay.

So it will be the third party's insurance company who will pursue you via their solicitor. In fact, the third party can pursue you directly via a solicitor or represent themselves if they so wish. But it will almost certainly be the insurer via their legal team.

There is no time limit restriction so yes, they can begin legal proceedings at anytime, and they would be via the County Court.

Your insurance company are effectively out of this now, so contacting them will be of no use.

The third party claim could come at anytime. They won't have forgotten.

You should contact a solicitor regarding this, and make them aware of all the facts and communications.

The reality is that you are going to come home from work one day, and find a brown A4 envelope on the floor with your local County Court logo on the front. That will be the legal claim via a solicitor on behalf of the third party and their insurance company. At that point your are going to have to see a solicitor.

These things have a habit of hitting when you least expect it, and when you can least afford it. There is no value in speeding up the process, but you need to know where you stand legally, especially if you are looking to purchase a house, or if you have a substantial deposit sat in your bank account.

M

When the third party claim was submitted, your insurer would have made the third party's insurer aware of their drink drive covernance and your conviction. The third party's insurer would then have accepted that your insurer wasn't liable to pay.

So it will be the third party's insurance company who will pursue you via their solicitor. In fact, the third party can pursue you directly via a solicitor or represent themselves if they so wish. But it will almost certainly be the insurer via their legal team.

Actually, all insurers are required to pay out for any third party claim that the insured is liable for by law. Some insurance policies have a clause that basically states that they reserve the right to recover any sum paid out to third parties under certain circumstances.

If you read this thread you will see that admiral had a clause in the policy which stated:

"If an accident happens whilst you or any person entitled to drive under Section 5 of your current Certificate of Motor Insurance is convicted of an offence involving drink or drugs, or was driving under the influence of drink or drugs, no cover under the policy will be provided and instead, our liability will be restricted to meeting our obligations as required by the Road Traffic Act. In those circumstances, we reserve the right to recover from you or the driver, all sums paid (including all legal costs), whether in settlement or under a Judgment, of any claim arising from the accident."

Such a clause is commonly referred to as a drink or drugs clause. If you read the thread you will see that Admiral met their obligation to cover third party costs under the Road Traffic Act but were looking to recover the costs incurred to them under the above clause.

There is no time limit restriction so yes, they can begin legal proceedings at anytime, and they would be via the County Court.

Your insurance company are effectively out of this now, so contacting them will be of no use.

The third party claim could come at anytime. They won't have forgotten.

You should contact a solicitor regarding this, and make them aware of all the facts and communications.

The reality is that you are going to come home from work one day, and find a brown A4 envelope on the floor with your local County Court logo on the front. That will be the legal claim via a solicitor on behalf of the third party and their insurance company. At that point your are going to have to see a solicitor.

These things have a habit of hitting when you least expect it, and when you can least afford it. There is no value in speeding up the process, but you need to know where you stand legally, especially if you are looking to purchase a house, or if you have a substantial deposit sat in your bank account.

M

Hi. With all due respect, your guesswork is causing unnecessary distress to people who are already in a difficult place. This is not the first time I've seen posts from you that are subsequently shown to be incorrect by individuals who actually know what they are talking about (comments regarding what does and what does not constitute an offence is one example that I recall).

If you are going to post comments I suggest that you research them thoroughly before posting and if in doubt, leave any response to the experts.

Cheers,

P

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off