Breath 64, Urine and blood samples.

Convicted Driver Insurance

benone

Hello everyone here`s my story. I have been drink driving from my friends house to the petrol station to buy some cigarettes late in the night, it only took 3 minutes. On my way back i failed to take a roundabout and ended up on the grass. I damaged my car seriously breaking my front wheels and deploying my airbags. In a matter of minutes a police patrol stopped by. They asked me to do a breath test which i failed ( 64 ). I was then taken to the hospital for bloods and urine test. I was asked for the urine test as soon as i got to the hospital and then bloods were taken 4 hours after.

Now I want to ask you guys, since this is my first time drink driving what to expect? I am planning to contact a solicitor to help me with my case.

Since I am here you all probably know how useless words are to describe how I feel...

Hello everyone here`s my story. I have been drink driving from my friends house to the petrol station to buy some cigarettes late in the night, it only took 3 minutes. On my way back i failed to take a roundabout and ended up on the grass. I damaged my car seriously breaking my front wheels and deploying my airbags. In a matter of minutes a police patrol stopped by. They asked me to do a breath test which i failed ( 64 ). I was then taken to the hospital for bloods and urine test. I was asked for the urine test as soon as i got to the hospital and then bloods were taken 4 hours after.

Now I want to ask you guys, since this is my first time drink driving what to expect? I am planning to contact a solicitor to help me with my case.

Since I am here you all probably know how useless words are to describe how I feel...

The sentence you receive will be largely dependent on the exact level of alcohol in your system at the time of the offence. You say you blew 64, however this will have been on a road side breath testing device, these are used for screening purposes only and are not as accurate as a blood, urine or breath sample on an evidential breath testing machine. You say your provided a urine sample then bloods several hours later, which sample is the police sending off to be tested, blood or urine? Did you get offered part of the sample taken and did you accept it?

When did you have your last alcoholic drink? If you had been drinking just before leaving the house then it is likely the level of alcohol in your system would be rising over time however if it had been an hour or so since you last drank alcohol before leaving the house it is likely that the alcohol level in your system would have been decreasing over the time.

Hello and thank you for the quick reply.
They took only the blood sample to analyze and yes I do have one as well which costs me 220 pounds and 3 weeks time to get the results. I dont really have 220 pounds to spend and if I did i was really hoping to get the results sooner, so I didnt go through with it. My last drink was before leaving house but i did have something to eat few hours before all this happened. Hopefully my alcohol level started to drop as I was waiting for the blood test and will get lower readings..

Hello and thank you for the quick reply.
They took only the blood sample to analyze and yes I do have one as well which costs me 220 pounds and 3 weeks time to get the results. I dont really have 220 pounds to spend and if I did i was really hoping to get the results sooner, so I didnt go through with it. My last drink was before leaving house but i did have something to eat few hours before all this happened. Hopefully my alcohol level started to drop as I was waiting for the blood test and will get lower readings..

There is little you can do until the police have received the blood sample and you find out if you are to be charged or not. If the blood sample shows that you were over the legal limit it is likely you will fall into the first sentencing bracket which carries a 12 - 16 month driving disqualification and a band c fine. As the blood sample was taken 4 hours after you blew 64 at the road side, the level of alcohol in your system should have been on the decrease.

If you are charged and convicted, as a first time offender you will be eligible to take the drink driving rehabilitation course, completing the course will allow any period of disqualification imposed to be reduced by up to 25%.

Let us know when you receive the results of the blood sample taken by the police and what the results are.

I will inform you defintely.
Just to let you guys know, despite the fact i was DD my car`s brakes failed to work that night. My car has both ESP and ABS and neither of them worked at the time. When I hit the brakes wheels just froze and slid, ABS did not work. I know that this does not matter under these circumstances but just imagine how unlucky I was. I know my car very well and in similar conditions it wouldn`t have had any problems. I read some comments on forums about Audi breaks and they do tend to fail.

Guys, I need your help with the following matter. I was not alone in my car but the person didn't want to get involved and so he left. I declared to my insurance that I was alone and also to the police officer. Now I'am thinking if there can be any consequences. What you guys advice ? I also think there are cctv cameras that's why I'am worried. Thank you.

The obvious question to ask is: "are you a provisional licence holder." If you are a full licence holder tha pen who else was in the car doesn't matter.
The only time it could be difficult would be if you pleaded not guilty and produced your passenger as a witness.... They it would be asked: "you said you were on your own,.... Where did this witness spring from?"

Hello everyone. I got my blood test results today and I am 64 below 80 wich is F great. I am under the legal limit so I'll keep my licence and no further legal action will be taken against me.
In the mean time I've informed my insurance about what happened and said I blew 64 ( apparently 64 is my lucky number ) they called DVLA and informed them as well. I did mentioned to them that this is not the verdict in this case and I am still waiting for the blood results.
Now my question is what's gonna happen, can dvla or the insurance deny the blood results and ask to re open the case ? Thank you.

I am not sure how, or why, your insurance company would call DVLA to inform them about a possible result of a drink drive sample in a case where a prosecution has not started. They would have no interest in that.

The case is not closed, the insurance company and DVLA have no say in a prosecution for drink driving, that is down to the police and the Crown Prosecution Service to decide.
Your result of 64 shows that you were under the limit when the blood sample was taken. It does not, however, show that you were under the limit when you were driving, because of the 4 hour delay in the sample being obtained. As a rough estimate, depending on a number of factors, your blood reading at the time of the crash could easily have been in the region of 120 - 130.
You will have to wait to see what the police will do in your case. some Forces just go on the blood result, others, particularly where there has been a road traffic collision, ask for a 'back calculation' on the sample to show what the reading would have been when you were driving.... which would have been over.
So the case will not be 're-opened', because it has not been closed, the matter will be still under consideration.
You may want to consult a solicitor before you are interviewed by the police about the collision, and your blood reading, because what you say at that point could have a direct bearing on if you are prosecuted or not.

Latest and final update about my case. Must say it was a happy ending. No further legal action was taken, the final result is 64 for the blood. I think in life you need a little bit of luck.
I can definitely say that I learned my lesson and I will never ever again drive after having a drink. It's not worth it, the consequences can be huge especially if third parties are involved. Please think twice !
Thank you guys for all your answers, great forum !

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off