What do i do..

Convicted Driver Insurance

Neil.88

Hi.

Sorry if it's a bit off subject.

About to be banned for hopefully around 12 to 13 month mark if I'm lucky.

What do I do with my car? Car insurance up for renewal now so I've cancelled. The car is in my garage so I've declared sorn and by the time my ban will be over my car will be without mot.

When I come to driving again how do I get this car mot's etc.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

You are allowed to drive a car to a pre arranged MOT test with an expired MOT certificate, but it has to be directly there, no stopping for a newspaper even. BUT the car does have to be insured. You would have to explain that the car has no MOT, so best to use an insurance broker to find you suitable cover.
the other alternative is to have the MOT garage collect the car on trade plates or a trailer, then insurance is not a problem.

Hi I appreciate your help.

Thanks very much for this.

I'll hopefully go through the garage collecting it etc. That seems the easiest way around this.
Thank you

Hi again.

Is it worth me leaving my car taxed on its current direct debit?

Or does it not work as after the 16th of July it's no longer insured.

I'm. Just thinking is this easier in the long run for setting up again and getting it an mot in may next year

Thanks

your car has to be off the road because there is no insurance, so why pay to tax it?
You should complete a SORN notice to DVLA and cancel the car tax payments. The car does not need to be taxed to be taken for MOT, so retax it when you have the new MOT.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off