First offence, serious large accident, failure to provide.

Convicted Driver Insurance

veryscared

Hi All,

Thanks for looking at this, I have been stressing out a lot about this ever since it has happened. I'll try keep this short and to the point with what happened.

What happened
Driving home on a main road around 1am and lost control of my car. The damage was a parked car which was written off, a driveway wall, a lamp post and two other cars got damaged with debris. I'm lucky to be alive to be completley honest. Nobody else was injured apart from me having bruises and cuts.

After the accident
I don't remember seeing a paramedic but have been told a paramedic attended the accident. I have heard that there is a witness that said I was speeding and driving erraticly. I was obviously intoxicated to the police, don't remember being breathalized at the roadside but was arrested and taken to the local police station where I failed to provide a specimen on the machine. I tried at least two attempts but I think I may have been blowing too hard, I was in shock and can't really remember much. I was not really co-operating much and was very angry at the police for some reason and even swore and shouted at the sargent.

Suffered memory loss from the time the accident took place up until the next morning when I woke up in the cell. Can only remember certain parts.

I am being charged with faliure to provide a specimen - vehicle driver (don't have the bail sheet right now but that is the only charge) - I will be attending court 04/05/2016.

I'm very scared of what my sentence will be and honestly after reading the sentencing guidelines I think that I could seriously be looking at a prison scentence. I have no previous convictions, have a job and I'm 24 years old and a graduate.

If anyone can shed some light if they have been in a similar situation or provide their opinion on the matter please do. All replies are appreciated no matter how blunt.

Hi All,

Thanks for looking at this, I have been stressing out a lot about this ever since it has happened. I'll try keep this short and to the point with what happened.

What happened
Driving home on a main road around 1am and lost control of my car. The damage was a parked car which was written off, a driveway wall, a lamp post and two other cars got damaged with debris. I'm lucky to be alive to be completley honest. Nobody else was injured apart from me having bruises and cuts.

After the accident
I don't remember seeing a paramedic but have been told a paramedic attended the accident. I have heard that there is a witness that said I was speeding and driving erraticly. I was obviously intoxicated to the police, don't remember being breathalized at the roadside but was arrested and taken to the local police station where I failed to provide a specimen on the machine. I tried at least two attempts but I think I may have been blowing too hard, I was in shock and can't really remember much. I was not really co-operating much and was very angry at the police for some reason and even swore and shouted at the sargent.

Suffered memory loss from the time the accident took place up until the next morning when I woke up in the cell. Can only remember certain parts.

I am being charged with faliure to provide a specimen - vehicle driver (don't have the bail sheet right now but that is the only charge) - I will be attending court 04/05/2016.

I'm very scared of what my sentence will be and honestly after reading the sentencing guidelines I think that I could seriously be looking at a prison scentence. I have no previous convictions, have a job and I'm 24 years old and a graduate.

If anyone can shed some light if they have been in a similar situation or provide their opinion on the matter please do. All replies are appreciated no matter how blunt.

I think you are looking at a ban in excess of 20 months along with a community punishment. I doubt a custodial sentence would apply.

There are some serious aggravating factors; but your reasons for failing to provide will play a big part. That or the prosecution's version of why you failed to provide.

If you don't have any previous convictions, then the absolute worse possible case scenario would probably be a suspended sentence. Very unlikely though.

Expect some community service, unpaid work, and maybe a curfew plus a ban of course. You wont receive a fine with this level of sentence; so at least it will keep the costs down for you.

I hope this helps.

M

why would they charge you with failure to provide when you have made 2 attempts to provide? don't they ask for blood test?

why would they charge you with failure to provide when you have made 2 attempts to provide? don't they ask for blood test?
Unless there was a medical problem to prevent a person supplying 2 samples of breath then no, there is not an offer to supply a blood or urine sample as an alternative to a breath test.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off