ADVICE PLEASE - DVLA asking for medical with my OWN Doctor ?

Convicted Driver Insurance

bilabonic

Hi All

I have come to the end of my three year ban on Dec16th 2015 (twice in 10 years).

I sent off my for license in December and they sent me questionnaire etc and asked for access to my medical records off my Dr. since i take medication for anxiety.

I understand i am classed as a high risk offender now.

After not hearing anything for 3 months so i rang the DVLA medical section and they stated on the phone that they have sent a letter in the post indicating that i will need to book a medical with my local Dr ?

I asked if i need to see te DVLA's own Dr and the lady stated NO ??

Anyone came across this, surely i need to see the DVLA Dr who takes a blood test etc (and charges you cash !!!)

Thanks

There has been a misunderstanding.
The medical required to be completed at the end of your ban HAS to be done by a DVLA doctor, so at some point you will have to do this. You might be advised to speak to your own doctor to seek their opinion about if they feel you are fit to drive bearing in mind your anxiety and / or the medication you are on, but you have to be assessed by their doctor.
3 months is a long time for your application to have been waiting before getting to the actual medical stage, it may well be the they have been corresponding with your GP and concerns have arisen.
I am aware that when DVLA write to a GP they do not chase up a reply until 6 weeks have elapsed as it would be discourteous to hassle a fellow professional.
Try speaking to your GP to see how much information has been passed to DVLA and if he / she expressed an opinion in any report that was submitted.

There has been a misunderstanding.
The medical required to be completed at the end of your ban HAS to be done by a DVLA doctor, so at some point you will have to do this. You might be advised to speak to your own doctor to seek their opinion about if they feel you are fit to drive bearing in mind your anxiety and / or the medication you are on, but you have to be assessed by their doctor.
3 months is a long time for your application to have been waiting before getting to the actual medical stage, it may well be the they have been corresponding with your GP and concerns have arisen.
I am aware that when DVLA write to a GP they do not chase up a reply until 6 weeks have elapsed as it would be discourteous to hassle a fellow professional.
Try speaking to your GP to see how much information has been passed to DVLA and if he / she expressed an opinion in any report that was submitted.

Thanks for the reply.

The process as you stated above it what i expected, BUT the DVLA lady i spoke to stated my Dr's name and i require a medical with him that i have to book.

I will update more when i receive the actual letter.

Cheers

UPDATE -

I have received the from the DVLA medical group this morning.

Its states ' We are considering your fitness to drive and have decided that you should have a medical examination ad see - ADDRESSED TO MY Dr.

We will make payment for the examination but cannot pay for transport or other expenses.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO -

Make appointment, allowing several working days before contacting relevant party. You MUST tell receptionist that medical exam has been requested by the DVLA for driver licensing purposes.

Attend medical withing 6 weeks of letter date

Take glasses/contact lenses.

Take letter and proof of identity.'

Anyone had this before ??

Thanks

This does not seem to be the HRO medical to get your licence back after disqualification, because YOU have to pay for that, about £96.
Did you get a questionnaire about your lifestyle and drinking habits with the letter?
If DVLA are paying, it sounds like they have doubts about your fitness to drive, separate to the issue of your HRO status.

UPDATE - After my medical with my local GP on April 1st at no cost i have today received my license back !!!

His medical was just going through the EXACT questionnaire the DVLA sent me.......

I have had no DVLA medical at all, and my license is for 3 years...

:D

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off