5 times over the drink driving limit, Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

bluedan23

Hey guys looking for some advice on whats going to happen. Im 19 years old, full licence for a year now with only 2 penalty points for speeding months before. A few months back I got extremely drunk one night at my friends house from roughly 350ml vodka although that is all i consumed. Anyways I was in no way thinking straight and I thought it would be funny if I got into my car and drove into my local town rather than walk(about 1 mile away). I was pulled over half a mile down the road for not having my headlights turned on which is stupid because I was not even driving carelessly although I realise the potential for an accident was there. I completely co-operated with the police and when they brought me back to the station I confessed what I had done and that I was extremely sorry which I was. My breath reading was taken roadside and also in the station where I read I was 5 times over the limit about 100 i think it was. Anyway just wondering what to expect. I have no problem with a fine and driving ban but can someone tell me if imprisonment is a possibility? Thanks for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 5 times over the limit

You sat you were 5 times the limit, but in England and Wales the limit is 35, your reading was about100? Does that mean you were caught in Scotland?

You sat you were 5 times the limit, but in England and Wales the limit is 35, your reading was about100? Does that mean you were caught in Scotland?
sorry I'm in ireland i was told 5 times over limit but not sure what exact reading that is ?

In the Republic of Ireland the legal limit is 50 in blood, but for inexperienced drivers - that would be you - the limit is only 20. I know because I was involved in some of the advice that helped frame the new legislation in Ireland.
What you will get will depend on which side of 100 you were. Under 100 you will face a minimum 1 year ban. Above 100 you will face a 2 year minimum. In Theory, drink driving carries a maximum 6 month prison sentence but you are unlikely to face any jail unless you had a nasty accident.
The relevant legislation is s4 Road Traffic Act 2010. It is rather dry, but you can read a good summary of it, and a simple chart showing the progression of the length of the ban according to your reading here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...fences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off