Pending interview

Convicted Driver Insurance

Concerned

My son had a car crash six weeks ago. Nobody else was involved. He hit a kerb and then a lamppost.
A paramedic happened to be driving past straight after and was first on the scene. The police arrived, he was breathalyzed and was told he was over the limit. He was not given a figure.
The paramedic wanted to take him to hospital to see to his cuts, he wasn't arrested or cautioned.
In hospital he was assessed, sent for and X-Ray and then had stitches in his arm. By the time the police doctor arrived and took his bloods it was about 4 hours after the accident.
He then received a phone call from the police officer about 3 weeks ago to ask if we had received his Independant blood test back and what the result was because for some reason they were unable to test the police sample. My son said he didn't know the result as the letter was at home. The Police officer then wished him a Merry Christmas and said he'd call him in for a chat in the New Year but it "looks like you've been very lucky!)
Today he received a call to say he's to come on for an interview on Saturday. He called back agin to say he forgot to ask if he'd like a solicitor to be present.
We are now concerned about what might happen. My son is 19 and has no other driving convictions. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

My son had a car crash six weeks ago. Nobody else was involved. He hit a kerb and then a lamppost.
A paramedic happened to be driving past straight after and was first on the scene. The police arrived, he was breathalyzed and was told he was over the limit. He was not given a figure.
The paramedic wanted to take him to hospital to see to his cuts, he wasn't arrested or cautioned.
In hospital he was assessed, sent for and X-Ray and then had stitches in his arm. By the time the police doctor arrived and took his bloods it was about 4 hours after the accident.
He then received a phone call from the police officer about 3 weeks ago to ask if we had received his Independant blood test back and what the result was because for some reason they were unable to test the police sample. My son said he didn't know the result as the letter was at home. The Police officer then wished him a Merry Christmas and said he'd call him in for a chat in the New Year but it "looks like you've been very lucky!)
Today he received a call to say he's to come on for an interview on Saturday. He called back agin to say he forgot to ask if he'd like a solicitor to be present.
We are now concerned about what might happen. My son is 19 and has no other driving convictions. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

The police are leaving you with very little time to speak to a solicitor before the interview. You should be mindful of this, as the police like everything to be in their favour during interviews. However, you have options.

My advice would be firstly to contact the police on Wednesday and explain that the suggested date on Saturday does not leave your son enough notice, as he wishes to speak to a solicitor first. You should then suggest a date approximately ten days from todays date, on which your son will be available to conclude the interview.

In relation to your independent test results; I would advise you to tell the police that they are not available. Lost in fact. What the police are trying to do, is to get your son to present evidence against himself, that could potentially assist the police in a prosecution against him. If the police were unable to test their sample, then I don't believe they have a case. That doesn't mean they wont try to trip your son up.

I would contact a solicitor first thing and explain the facts. Do not proceed with the police interview without first contacting a solicitor. For what it will cost, it is well worth the consultation because for a 19 year old, the stakes are high in relation to a potential drink driving charge

I think you will be okay.

Good luck.

M

Thank you, that's a good idea. It's not really very much time to prepare. We'll get our own solicitor and reschedule at a time more convenient than 7pm on a Saturday!

Many thanks for you reply.

It is probably 'necessary' for the interview to be at 7pm on Saturday because the officer is working later that day, but as Mclanelli said, reschedule the interview for a more convenient time, but it will have to fit I wish the investigations officers shifts.They will want to interview your son to assess if there is enough evidence to proceed with an offence of 'driving without due care and attention, but it could still be possible for them to look at.'driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs' where they do not need a blood sample as evidence. They could rely on evidence of intoxication from the paramedic, the police officer and the hospital staff, together with an admission from your son on how much alcohol he had consumed before driving. Hence the need for proper legal advice ahead of the interview......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off