Will i go to prison?

Convicted Driver Insurance

coley

Right so here is my story. I'm 26 years old and I got charged with driving over the limit a week ago. My breath was 110, very high. I was the idiot that drove around a corner to escape an argument and i drove into the back of a parked car. Two men saw me and took my keys off me. I complied and was put into a cell overnight and now I am on bail. There are witnesses and I haven't denied what happened. it's my first offence, clean etc. Of course I feel dreadful and regret whats happened. Your thoughts please.

Hi Coley,
Having been through a similar experience I doubt that you would sent to prison. You have cooperated with the police which earns you credit, if you plead guilty that will earn you more credit. I'm guessing that you haven't been in trouble before so that will help.

I strongly suggest that you are represented in court, you can get the duty solicitor for free for your first and hopefully only hearing.

You will certainly get a hefty ban and depending on your financial situation a fine and costs or community work, or a suspended or custodial sentence. I got a suspended sentence which actually was the best outcome for me because I couldn't afford a big fine.

Good luck, we all make mistakes.

Richard

Coley,

the guidelines for a reading of 110 is a 23-28 month ban, reduced by up to 25% if you ask for a drink drive rehabilitation course (the Magistrates may well offer it anyway, but ask if they don't)
the threashold where custody must be an option is set at 120, so you are not at significant risk of custody. Having the Road Traffic Collision is an aggravating factor, but with no injuries they are unlikely to go above what their guidelines are. There will also be a fine, according to your income, and costs. You may find the case is adjourned for a report to be prepared if they are considering a community order but as Richard said, that can be better than a fine, it just takes up your time!
let us know how you get on.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off