dvla medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

jojo19

Hi wondering if anyone can help. Due to start the process soon for license and will have abstained from alcohol for at least two months. Had a detox at rehab in Jan 2014 unsuccessful as got done for DD in August 2014. Asked for help from doctor in Sept 2014 because of what happened and sorted myself out and never returned. Have still been drinking until a couple of weeks ago. Will I automatically fail medical as detox unsuccessful and asked my doctor for help?

If you keep your alcohol intake low, then you may well be OK on the CDT test at the medical. In your circumstances, whatever the CDT, DVLA will probably check with your doctor. Detox in the past 12 months is a definite no no, but you are beyond that time. I would suggest talking to your doctor to bring him up to date with how you are, and discuss how he would report your history to DVLA. Will he indicate that he has no concern about you at this time?

Last edited:
If you keep your alcohol intake low, then you may well be OK on the CDT test at the medical. In your circumstances, whatever the CDT, DVLA will probably check with your doctor. Detox in the past 12 months is a definite no no, but you are beyond that time. I would suggest talking to your doctor to bring him up to date with how you are, and discuss how he would report your history to DVLA. Will he indicate that he has no concern about you at this time?

Thank you for replying price. I went into rehab because my family wanted to. I asked for help after the accident as I frightened myself. My doctor as far as I know has never raised questions on my alcohol intake. I have just had a blood test for my first over 40 health check and got my appointment with results next Tuesday. If the health check goes well will this hopefully mean I get a 1 year license minimum?

Not necessarily, it is unlikely that your over 40 health check will include a CDT test, or even the older LFT that DVLA used to use on their medical. You could ask your doctor if he would undertake a CDT test for you. The threshold for a refusal is a result of 2.9 or above. 2.3 to 2.9 will trigger further enquiries for certain, below that does not raiseconcerns, but DVLA still sometimes decide to make enquiries with your GP.

Not necessarily, it is unlikely that your over 40 health check will include a CDT test, or even the older LFT that DVLA used to use on their medical. You could ask your doctor if he would undertake a CDT test for you. The threshold for a refusal is a result of 2.9 or above. 2.3 to 2.9 will trigger further enquiries for certain, below that does not raiseconcerns, but DVLA still sometimes decide to make enquiries with your GP.

Thank you.so if my cdt is ok and my gp is ok what has happened previously is not an automatic refusal of license?

Correct, they will consider all the evidence, in those circumstances you describe they may just offer a 12 month licence on the first place, which draws things out a bit but at least it gets you on the road.

Correct, they will consider all the evidence, in those circumstances you describe they may just offer a 12 month licence on the first place, which draws things out a bit but at least it gets you on the road.

Thank you so much price. At least I know there is a chance ��

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off