Charged for Drink Driving - Duty Solicitor or Private Solicitor for my Court Hearing?

Convicted Driver Insurance

hitman126

Hello,

Earlier this month, I was arrested in Central London for drink driving. I had attended my cousin's wedding reception near the Old Bailey and as is typical of the limited parking options in the city, after a tedious and lengthy search for parking places, I eventually managed to park my car a considerable distance away from the venue and walked to the event.

Later that night when there were parking spaces available at the venue, I went to get my car so I could park it there. As it happened, and not being that familiar with that part of town, I ended up taking a wrong turn and in no time at all got lost and was struggling to find my way back. Unfortunately, I got stopped by the police, was breathalysed at the scene and ended up spending the night in a police cell, having been charged for drink driving. My reading by the way was 75mg. I had never been in any trouble with the law until this incident.

I now have a court hearing in just over a week's time and I'm desperate for advice on whether it is worth seeking a private solicitor or simply use the services of the duty solicitor on the day.

Secondly, if the general recommendation is for me to employ the services of a private solicitor, could anyone recommend some solicitors who aren't too expensive to use?

Finally, what sort of punishment can I expect to receive for my offence if found guilty?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Earlier this month, I was arrested in Central London for drink driving. I had attended my cousin's wedding reception near the Old Bailey and as is typical of the limited parking options in the city, after a tedious and lengthy search for parking places, I eventually managed to park my car a considerable distance away from the venue and walked to the event.

Later that night when there were parking spaces available at the venue, I went to get my car so I could park it there. As it happened, and not being that familiar with that part of town, I ended up taking a wrong turn and in no time at all got lost and was struggling to find my way back. Unfortunately, I got stopped by the police, was breathalysed at the scene and ended up spending the night in a police cell, having been charged for drink driving. My reading by the way was 75mg. I had never been in any trouble with the law until this incident.

I now have a court hearing in just over a week's time and I'm desperate for advice on whether it is worth seeking a private solicitor or simply use the services of the duty solicitor on the day.

Secondly, if the general recommendation is for me to employ the services of a private solicitor, could anyone recommend some solicitors who aren't too expensive to use?

Finally, what sort of punishment can I expect to receive for my offence if found guilty?

Thank you.

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol and a breath reading of 75, magistrates sentencing guidelines recommend a band C fine and a driving disqualification of between 17-22 months. The majority of first time offenders, presuming this is your first drink driving related offence, usually benefit from the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course which upon completion will reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

It is entirely up to you whether or not you would like to instruct a solicitor privately or rely on the duty solicitor for your upcoming court appearance.

We have several solicitors listed in our solicitors directory for the London area who you could contact to enquire about the fees they would charge to represent you.

You may also find our guide to appearing at court for drink driving offences useful.

Let us know how you get on at court as it may help others who find themselves in a similar situation to yourself in the future.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off