Completing application forms for jobs, with a DD conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

stand

Like everyone else on this forum I have made a dreadful mistake, I don’t want to go too deeply into the circumstances but I have been banned from driving for 1 year since early September due to Drink Driving.
I am about to start looking for basic office work (very possibly through temp agencies) and I know that most application forms will have the inevitable question about ‘criminal records’, this conviction is my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and only one. Does anyone have experience of the best way to put this conviction onto an application form when it asks for dislosure ?? I’m very reluctant to put Drink Driving or DR10 on the form as I suspect it will be treated with contempt and prejudice (which I can’t really complain too much about, i’ve done wrong and i’m very aware of it), would I be incorrect if I just put for instance ‘driving conviction’ or ‘motoring offence’ and the date of it on the form ?? And then let them come back to me with any questions they have about the conviction so that I can try to explain in person ??
Has anyone gone through a similar situation to this and what has happened to you if so ?? Do temporary agencies take much notice of a criminal record ?? Thanks Loads.

You are right that a drink drive conviction is required to be disclosed for 5 years on an 'ordinary' police check.
i always advise people to put "motoring offence, September 2015, can be discussed at interview."
there is likely to be a presumption that you mean no insurance, or speeding etc, as that is the common perception for a motoring offence. You are less likely to be rejected out of hand, and have the opportunity of explaining during the interview just what happened.

Thankyou for your reply and I will do exactly that with the application forms.

Would I be correct to presume that the information I give to an employer or employment agency regarding the conviction is confidential and that they would not be allowed to share this information with anyone or to any other employer, agency or any other type of organisation of any kind ??

Thankyou.

Correct, and should only be shared within the organisation with people who "need to know."

Hi
I have just completed my community order on my drink driving charge and am now desperately looking for a job I did a very stupid thing and am disgusted what if did but cannot change it . I have not been working as have a family but looking to go back to work . Am worried about applying for jobs , will all jobs need to find out about my conviction ? When will the information be disclosed ? How long will it be before I need to disclose this information to prospective employers ? Many thanks

A lot of employers carry our pre employment screening, but not all.
if you are asked if you have any 'criminal convictions' then you have to disclose your Drink Drive conviction for a period of 5 years from the date you were convicted, not the date of the offence.
For certain jobs, such as working with children or other vulnerable people, you will be warned that the job is exempted from the requirements of the Tehbilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and you have to disclose All previous cautions or convictions. It is called a DBS check. There is an amendment to that which says that if you only have 1 conviction, and it is not on the exempt list - offences like GBH or drug smuggling - then it does not have to be declared after 11 years. If, however, you have more than 1 conviction then all of them will never become spent.
So if this is your only conviction, it is declarable for 5 years, or 11 if vulnerable people are involved or a DBS check is required for another reason (e.g. financial institutions or government security)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off