DVLA Medical - Taking months.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dandydon

Hello, i got done drink driving 25th may 2014 for 18 month. Done the rehab course, got my ban reduced to 15 month so my un-ban date was 15th September 2015. I had to do the medical as my breath reading was 94 & 88 mg. I sat the medical on 24th August and I never drank for 8 weeks before, nor took any substances. 4 weeks after the medical I received a letter from DVLA saying they had to write to my doctor for more information. They said that could take up to another 4 weeks. Then I got another letter yesterday saying that they had been informed by a third party that I have a medical condition, they also send along the same questionnaire that the doc filled out at the medical, and they said to send it back within 21 days. I have never been told by a doctor that I have a medical condition so I am quite confused. I was in hospital after a night out 2 weeks after the medical and the took some of my blood which i thought was strange.. I had cannabis and cocaine in my system, would they have contacted the DVLA? I'm struggling adding this up, maybe they have made a mistake on my application? Because they said on the letter yesterday that they needed my permission to contact my doctor but they already have contacted him? I was looking forward to driving again and they seem to be trying everything to delay my application!!

Any information is much appreciated!

Many thanks!

If you were in hospital after a night out, it is not surprising that they took a blood sample to see what was up with you, especially if it appeared that you were not just under the influence of alcohol.
i do not think for a minute that the hospital shared this information with DVLA, they would have no reason to. They would have fed this information into your medical notes, so your doctor would have been aware. According to your timescale, you were in hospital 2 weeks after the medical, and they wrote to your doctor 2 weeks after that. I think that either he included that in his report, or someone you know has informed DVLA as a matter of concern, and that could be the "third party".
Either way, they are entitled to make whatever enquiries they deem necessary to establish your fitness to get your licence back and not be a risk to other road users.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off