DD banned but still loads of questions.

Convicted Driver Insurance

ECH02

Worst thing I've ever done. I was involved in a collision and arrested for DD. Went to court and banned. Still in the dark about so many things.

1. If the insurance company don't ask if alcohol was involved should I tell them?
2. What effect will it have on future insurance policies? - I expect and accept it will go up but by how much?
3. I've just read on other threads that years after drivers are back on the road and all seems OK they are hit by further expenses by their insurance companies from the time of the incident?
4. Been thinking of going to the States but this will be affected also?

The most stupidest thing I'll ever do - it has ruined my life!

Worst thing I've ever done. I was involved in a collision and arrested for DD. Went to court and banned. Still in the dark about so many things.

1. If the insurance company don't ask if alcohol was involved should I tell them?

The only advice I would give is to be totally honest and upfront about the incident.

2. What effect will it have on future insurance policies? - I expect and accept it will go up but by how much?

This is an impossible question to answer it is based on so many factors, what kind of car you will be looking to insure, the length of any NCD you may have, the area you live and of course the insurer and how they calculate the premium you need to pay. As you know if you have used insurance comparison sites, prices vary a great deal between insurers. The best advice I could give would be to shop around and compare quotes from multiple sources.

3. I've just read on other threads that years after drivers are back on the road and all seems OK they are hit by further expenses by their insurance companies from the time of the incident?

Not all insurers try to recover costs paid out to third parties after accidents involving the insured being under the influence, over the limit or refusing to provide a specimen. Read all the small print of your policy documents to see if it includes a drink or drugs clause.

4. Been thinking of going to the States but this will be affected also?

There is rather a lengthy thread about this subject that you may find useful here.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off