Over the limit and involved in an accident, now not sure what to do...

Convicted Driver Insurance

really dumb

I was involved in an accident on Thursday, I was driving along a straight road 60mph limit when right at the last minute without any room to maneuver an old couple pulled out on me. I hit them with the front of my vehicle into their rear passenger side as the driver clearly didn't see me coming. First of all. I was over the limit, and I take full responsibility for that, and I was was breathalysed as a matter of course as it was an accident where police were called. I was in shock at the time and believe I gave my details to the police regarding insurance etc. (my car came up as insured but no Valid tax, as I had renewed my tax disc online that day but I had a printed receipt with me so this was not made an issue).

However I do not have any other details regarding the accident (no details of the other car, as I was arrested after the breath test ). What do I do now?

I haven't contacted my insurance yet as I was only released on bail yesterday and then had to go to work straight from the station.

I understand I'm facing at minimum a large fine and a 3 year ban, as I recorded a level of 84 via breath.

However both cars were written off. What do I do next?

I'm terrified at the moment. I understand I am guilty of Driving while under the influence, but what else is likely to happen?

I was involved in an accident on Thursday, I was driving along a straight road 60mph limit when right at the last minute without any room to maneuver an old couple pulled out on me. I hit them with the front of my vehicle into their rear passenger side as the driver clearly didn't see me coming. First of all. I was over the limit, and I take full responsibility for that, and I was was breathalysed as a matter of course as it was an accident where police were called. I was in shock at the time and believe I gave my details to the police regarding insurance etc. (my car came up as insured but no Valid tax, as I had renewed my tax disc online that day but I had a printed receipt with me so this was not made an issue).

However I do not have any other details regarding the accident (no details of the other car, as I was arrested after the breath test ). What do I do now?

I haven't contacted my insurance yet as I was only released on bail yesterday and then had to go to work straight from the station.

I would suggest you contact your insurance company to report the accident and find out exactly what information they require from you. If they require information that you do not have then contact the police who will be able to assist you in either providing the information to you or providing you with contact details of the officers involved which you can then pass on to the insurance company.

I understand I'm facing at minimum a large fine and a 3 year ban, as I recorded a level of 84 via breath.

I'm terrified at the moment. I understand I am guilty of Driving while under the influence, but what else is likely to happen?

Is this your second drink driving related offence within the space of 10 years? If not, you will not be facing a minimum 3 year disqualification.

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol and a breath reading of 84 sentencing guidelines suggest band C fine and a disqualification of between 17 and 22 months. The majority of first time offenders are usually given the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course, completing the course will award you a reduction of up to 25% off any period of disqualification imposed.

Your breath test reading is very near to the upper limit of the sentencing bracket in which you fall and as you were involved in a serious accident resulting in two cars being written off this will be classed as an aggravating factor which may result in magistrates deviating from the guidelines and sentencing you in-line with the next sentencing bracket which attracts a medium to high level community order and a 23 to 28 month disqualification.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you. Let us know the outcome of your court case as it may help others who find themselves in a similar situation at some point in the future.

Hi
First you really need to calm down. What's done is done and out of your hands. I have recently completed the DD course I blew 97 just before Christmas. I got a 24 month ban reduced to 18 months if I did the DD course which I have done, 6 week curfew 9-6am, completed and £145 costs.
There are probably circumstances around the evening? make a note of them. If you take the duty solicitor he/she will ask you what happened. On the DD course there were people on it that had been involved in an accident, all situations are different.
I am unsure if you are high risk like me, I have to have a medical before they will give me my license back.
I was in a state too after my arrest but I am calm now, I have accepted it. If I can help you in any way I will try too

I feel your pain. I'm in exactly the same situation as we speak (mine could be worse) I was involved in a collusion head in. They had to take blood from me as I was unconscious. I'm worried what this will do to me financially - both cars written off - legal action as people were hurt.

From what I've been told by other people is to get the best solicitor possible.

Something similar happened to me. I hit a parked car and wrote mine off. I blew 88 at the station.

I reported it to my insurance co and they then cancelled my policy. I didn't have to do anything else and the vehicle in question has now been repaired.Im guessing the police gave the details to him? Either way as long as you are fully comp they will pay out on the other vehicle but not yours.

I got a 17 month ban reduced to 12 with the course.

I didn't pay a solicitor, I just got 3 very strong character references and wrote out some good mitigation, which I handed to the duty solicitor on the day to read out for me.

Good luck and post back with your result :)

The maximum reduction you can get for doing a course is 25%, so you must have got a 16 month ban if it is reduced to 12, if it was 17 months, then your ban will be 13 months, or possibly 12 months and 3 weeks.

Sharon,
we are on here to provide support, but I have seen people convinced that they have more than a 25% reduction and it is only right to point out that this cannot happen, hence my comment when you appeared to claim a 5 month reduction on a 17 month ban. I am pleased that you realise that it is less, others reading your post might take it at face value and feel aggrieved that they did not get the same reduction as you indicated.

I reported it to my insurance co and they then cancelled my policy. I didn't have to do anything else and the vehicle in question has now been repaired.Im guessing the police gave the details to him? Either way as long as you are fully comp they will pay out on the other vehicle but not yours.
I am not sure that this is correct and believe it is dependent on your insurer.

I also hit a parked car. Admiral are chasing me for third party costs.

I am not sure that this is correct and believe it is dependent on your insurer.

I also hit a parked car. Admiral are chasing me for third party costs.

Admiral are saying to me I'm liable for the other persons car and injuries ... I live at home and have no money.

What ever they throw at me I'll be unable to pay.

Hi
Price is ex police and Drink driving course trained he writes facts not his opinions and has been a massive help to me. Out of everyone on here he is consistent and replies with facts. out of all your replies, he is the only person you should listen too x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off