Need advice on drink driving ASAP

Convicted Driver Insurance

dvb723

cut a long story short.

I was involved in a car collision where 2 other people were injured - Broken arms.

I've been told i had 5 cans of beer and 1/4-1/2 bottle of pimms. 8-12am. crash happened at 2am.

I got taken t hospital where blood was taken from me, authorised by a doctor.

Police now want me to sign my bloods over to investigate.

Should I let them do this and receive the fine and conviction that way, or risk punishment by saying they can't investigate my blood?

cut a long story short.

I was involved in a car collision where 2 other people were injured - Broken arms.

I've been told i had 5 cans of beer and 1/4-1/2 bottle of pimms. 8-12am. crash happened at 2am.

I got taken t hospital where blood was taken from me, authorised by a doctor.

Police now want me to sign my bloods over to investigate.

Should I let them do this and receive the fine and conviction that way, or risk punishment by saying they can't investigate my blood?

You wont risk punishment for not giving them permission to analyse the blood sample that was taken, you will be punished. You will automatically be categorised as a high risk offender if you refuse to give permission for analysis of the blood sample.

High risk offenders are required to satisfy the DVLA of their fitness to drive by taking and passing a DVLA medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of any disqualification imposed.

You can view the sentencing guidelines for failing to provide a specimen for analysis when driving or attempting to drive here. You will fall into the middle or higher sentencing bracket, depending on what evidence is available as to your level of impairment, for deliberate refusal/failure to provide a specimen for analysis. Upon conviction you can expect anywhere between a 17 to 36 month driving disqualification and a community order or up to 26 weeks in custody and/or a band C fine.

My advice would be to co-operate with the police and give them permission to analyse the blood sample. If you co-operate, the sentence you receive will then be largely dependant on the level of alcohol found in your blood specimen. You may also have a chance of not being classed as a high risk offender if your blood test results come back as under 200 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. You can view the sentencing guidelines for driving with excess alcohol here.

As you were involved in a road traffic accident resulting in injury, this will be classed as an aggravating factor and can only go towards increasing any sentence imposed. This means that whatever sentencing bracket you fall under, it is highly unlikely you will be sentenced to the minimum.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on at court.

Last edited:
I agree with the Moderator.
say no and you are guilty and high risk.
say yes and you might be lower than the threshold for high risk. There is also the possibility that the sample might get lost or become clotted or unusable for some other reason. Giving consent keeps alive possibilities, refuse and you ARE stuffed. Plus insurance companies take a dim view of people who refuse, more so than people who simply blow over the limit.

Last edited:
You wont risk punishment for not giving them permission to analyse the blood sample that was taken, you will be punished. You will automatically be categorised as a high risk offender if you refuse to give permission for analysis of the blood sample.

High risk offenders are required to satisfy the DVLA of their fitness to drive by taking and passing a DVLA medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of any disqualification imposed.

You can view the sentencing guidelines for failing to provide a specimen for analysis when driving or attempting to drive here. You will fall into the middle or higher sentencing bracket, depending on what evidence is available as to your level of impairment, for deliberate refusal/failure to provide a specimen for analysis. Upon conviction you can expect anywhere between a 17 to 36 month driving disqualification and a community order or up to 26 weeks in custody and/or a band C fine.

My advice would be to co-operate with the police and give them permission to analyse the blood sample. If you co-operate, the sentence you receive will then be largely dependant on the level of alcohol found in your blood specimen. You may also have a chance of not being classed as a high risk offender if your blood test results come back as under 200 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. You can view the sentencing guidelines for driving with excess alcohol here.

As you were involved in a road traffic accident resulting in injury, this will be classed as an aggravating factor and can only go towards increasing any sentence imposed. This means that whatever sentencing bracket you fall under, it is highly unlikely you will be sentenced to the minimum.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on at court.

Okay thanks for this. I'm just a bit worried on what I'd get charged with. I know this was a stupid mistake. I've never been convicted of anything and worried about loosing my job - with a top company :-(.

Okay thanks for this. I'm just a bit worried on what I'd get charged with. I know this was a stupid mistake. I've never been convicted of anything and worried about loosing my job - with a top company :-(.

Bitter pill to swallow, be honest, best way. you know where you are at, no hidden surprises or going to work carrying a ticking time bomb. from experience honesty is valued over being secretive.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off