Life after getting your license and life back....

Convicted Driver Insurance

ally

Well Known Member
I have decided to begin a new thread only because I feel this forum needs some positive experiences that there is a life after a DD conviction. I would really like to hear from anyone that has survived this nightmare. Their accounts and feeling would help me and I am sure so many others who just feel like throwing the towel in. I there is anyone that has survived and has a positive story to share please do. I really feel your stories will provide so many of us with the motivation we so lack at the moment. Thank you in advance Ally

I have decided to begin a new thread only because I feel this forum needs some positive experiences that there is a life after a DD conviction. I would really like to hear from anyone that has survived this nightmare. Their accounts and feeling would help me and I am sure so many others who just feel like throwing the towel in. I there is anyone that has survived and has a positive story to share please do. I really feel your stories will provide so many of us with the motivation we so lack at the moment. Thank you in advance Ally

Ally, I have beenreading all the threads with interest (and sympathy) still, even though mynightmare is over and I have been driving again for the last 2 months.Like everyone, I was fed up, time seemed to drag, the DVLA were beingunreasonable etc etc, but all I can say to everyone is just stick with it, thetime will come when that brown letter arrives, and when it all sinks in, thebad times you are feeling now will not seem so bad as they were.
My story is long, but basically I was drinking 6-8 cans Special Brew everyday,starting when I woke up (the shakes were starting). Many times I stopped andwent through sheer hell for days, violent seizures hot/cold sweats.Eventually I would feel better, but just start again. I had everything I couldwant, nice home, wife, 3 grown up clever kids, and a decent job, but all Iwanted to do was drink myself to death. What I was doing driving with all this was insane.
I got disqualified in 2009 (blew 92), but still carried on drinking and ended up on longterm sick and I was fortunate to get medically retired from work in 2012 with a pension (I am 54). In August 2013 I quit drinking for good, my health then was at rock bottom and my GP thought I'd been lucky to get out of hospital alive. I decided I would apply for my licence, but I knew I would need at least 12 months alcohol free. So last summer I applied and after all the delays, I got a 1 year licence in November. I know I can never drink again, and have been so lucky. People say how much better I look now.
My story is just about me and the drink, but I know from reading everyone's posts that they have had to put up with real hardship and struggles. There is light at the end though, just make sure you look after yourself.

Best wishes,

Peter.

Peter......
Your story has made me cry. I agree a ban, you cant drive, oh lets have a drink!!! teaches us nothing. Even from those few paragraphs I can see you are not a bad person, its society and the law of the land that has decided it is what it is. I am feared for my future, only at tea time today I witnessed two lads smash a car window and steal from it, only moments before they were stroking my dog and we had a conversation. I rang 999 and the police were amazing with me! such a shame they weren't the same the night I was arrested. Police vans and cars galore and wanting a statement I even took photos of the lads of my phone, in the back of my mind I thought why should I help you, that's how bitter and twisted I have become. The police don't care about me, you or anyone they want to have good statistics and earn a wage. I rang them told them the direction the offenders went and that's it. An hour later the police rang me, again nice as pie, knowing what I know it makes me sick x

Peter......
Your story has made me cry. I agree a ban, you cant drive, oh lets have a drink!!! teaches us nothing. Even from those few paragraphs I can see you are not a bad person, its society and the law of the land that has decided it is what it is. I am feared for my future, only at tea time today I witnessed two lads smash a car window and steal from it, only moments before they were stroking my dog and we had a conversation. I rang 999 and the police were amazing with me! such a shame they weren't the same the night I was arrested. Police vans and cars galore and wanting a statement I even took photos of the lads of my phone, in the back of my mind I thought why should I help you, that's how bitter and twisted I have become. The police don't care about me, you or anyone they want to have good statistics and earn a wage. I rang them told them the direction the offenders went and that's it. An hour later the police rang me, again nice as pie, knowing what I know it makes me sick x

Thanks Ally,

There are some bad experiences with the police out there. There are good and not so good officers of course - they were OK with me I suppose, but then I just tend to accept things and not kick off. I have been arrested twice, one after I was caught over the limit, and also during a stay in hospital for detox, when I had a 'psychotic episode' due to withdrawal and/or the treatment they put you on. Anyway both times I was handcuffed tightly behind my back (I have only got skinny wrists and it really hurt!). I think they must do this as standard in the NE, as a few years a prisoner was being driven to court and he grabbed hold of the hand brake at high speed, causing a fatal accident. I also asked for a blanket, but they never brought one. Never mind about that, but the doctors said afterwards I shouldn't have been left alone in a cell and needed medical supervision. I remember I was still having hallucinations in there. Oh well, it's all over now, but maybe I should have sued them at the time :)

Cheers, and take care,

Peter

Thanks Ally,

There are some bad experiences with the police out there. There are good and not so good officers of course - they were OK with me I suppose, but then I just tend to accept things and not kick off. I have been arrested twice, one after I was caught over the limit, and also during a stay in hospital for detox, when I had a 'psychotic episode' due to withdrawal and/or the treatment they put you on. Anyway both times I was handcuffed tightly behind my back (I have only got skinny wrists and it really hurt!). I think they must do this as standard in the NE, as a few years a prisoner was being driven to court and he grabbed hold of the hand brake at high speed, causing a fatal accident. I also asked for a blanket, but they never brought one. Never mind about that, but the doctors said afterwards I shouldn't have been left alone in a cell and needed medical supervision. I remember I was still having hallucinations in there. Oh well, it's all over now, but maybe I should have sued them at the time :)

Cheers, and take care,

Peter

Peter the only thing I remember well was sometime in the morning, someone asked me if I wanted breakfast, I asked if there was a choice, the reply was, 'if you want breakfast or not!'
I pressed the intercom and the officer said I was being as annoying as the children I teach!, that's never left me

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off