Being over the limit the next morning, how many hours should you leave?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Routemaster

1)How much would you have to drink to be over the limit the next morning assuming your last drink is at 2am and you need to drive at 10am?

For example you have a 70cl bottle of 14% red wine how many hours would it take to blow less than 35mg?

2) what percentage of drink drivers are caught over the limit the morning after compared to those caught on their way home from a pub for example?

I will never comment on how long it takes to get down to 35, because it is not an exact science and you would only have to be 10% out and you could lose your licence........ Better to think about when you would be alcohol free, which would be about 10 hours.
We did a survey a while ago amongst people on drink drive courses and this indicated that about 20% were caught the next day, or in the evening after a lunch time drink, then driving in the evening.
i would also add, if you need to drive at 10am, why the hell would you still be drinking at 2am??!! Plenty of other times when you can do it without risk.

Last edited:
to be safe u should NEVER drive after the night on a booze. I have taken a course and let me tell u its not safe at all. id rather then absteine of driving completely. dont risk it!

I went out mad Friday drunk plenty home for 11.45pm went out the following evening had two white wines and soda from 7.30 - 11.30pm pulled and blew 96, just topped up even though I felt fine. booked on the DD course would have benefitted more prior to driving though. £140 for 3 sessions, no doubt telling me what I should have been told prior to passing my test.

I went out mad Friday drunk plenty home for 11.45pm went out the following evening had two white wines and soda from 7.30 - 11.30pm pulled and blew 96, just topped up even though I felt fine. booked on the DD course would have benefitted more prior to driving though. £140 for 3 sessions, no doubt telling me what I should have been told prior to passing my test.

how much did you drink on the Friday? I know it takes 1 hour to metabolise 1 unit so a full 75 ml bottle of 13% wine is about 10 units so that would take 10 hrs and 2 bottles 20 hrs plus the top up.

Maybe its best to get your own breathalyser but you need to make sure its a good accurate one, preferably approved tester because some you can buy for less than £20 are complete rubbish and register people who are totally leg less as being below the limit and some have been known to register people as having failed after just drinking soft drinks! But if in doubt don't drive! A taxi is far cheaper in the long run or calling in sick to work is better.

how much did you drink on the Friday? I know it takes 1 hour to metabolise 1 unit so a full 75 ml bottle of 13% wine is about 10 units so that would take 10 hrs and 2 bottles 20 hrs plus the top up.

Maybe its best to get your own breathalyser but you need to make sure its a good accurate one, preferably approved tester because some you can buy for less than £20 are complete rubbish and register people who are totally leg less as being below the limit and some have been known to register people as having failed after just drinking soft drinks! But if in doubt don't drive! A taxi is far cheaper in the long run or calling in sick to work is better.

I was pulled, fair enough, the way I was treated...out of order I was a lone female, not armed as an on looker would have thought. my legacy will be 'don't drive one way' temptation is always there. I must follow the rules and so must the police.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off