Advice quickly please :(

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jessicam3154

Hi,I'm a teacher, I was convicted of drink driving this year after my contract ended at my old school. I've had a rough year ( health wise - pneumonia, asthma, severe siezures ) prior to that job ending and prior to the conviction (so I'm not justifying it). I hadn't had a drink in around 6 hours and needed to go to around the corner for something so assuming I was sober (felt it) :/. I drove around the corner. Car broke down on a red route and police saw. They breathalysed me and I was over the limit, fairly low not sure the exact amount but below 80 because I'm not a "high risk offender" or something ( excuse me I don't know much about this whole thing). Anyway due to health I don't feel able to do a teaching job due to workload. Therefore I applied for a teaching assistant job. I wrote motoring offence on the application. Is that right or did I not declare it or something?! I read that was wrong in another forum and got worried.Anyway I'm worried if I do well at the interview, which I should as I'm way overqualified for it (not bragging, just want to work with children and this seems like my best opportunity if I can't handle teaching right now). Will they hold this against me when I explain it at the interview? I'm scared. I really do want this job.Many thanks for any replies :D

Hi,I'm a teacher, I was convicted of drink driving this year after my contract ended at my old school. I've had a rough year ( health wise - pneumonia, asthma, severe siezures ) prior to that job ending and prior to the conviction (so I'm not justifying it). I hadn't had a drink in around 6 hours and needed to go to around the corner for something so assuming I was sober (felt it) :/. I drove around the corner. Car broke down on a red route and police saw. They breathalysed me and I was over the limit, fairly low not sure the exact amount but below 80 because I'm not a "high risk offender" or something ( excuse me I don't know much about this whole thing). Anyway due to health I don't feel able to do a teaching job due to workload. Therefore I applied for a teaching assistant job. I wrote motoring offence on the application. Is that right or did I not declare it or something?! I read that was wrong in another forum and got worried.Anyway I'm worried if I do well at the interview, which I should as I'm way overqualified for it (not bragging, just want to work with children and this seems like my best opportunity if I can't handle teaching right now). Will they hold this against me when I explain it at the interview? I'm scared. I really do want this job.Many thanks for any replies :D

I must also add even the police were confused as I showed no signs of drunken or tipsiness at all. Hopefully my career isn't ruined. I worked hard to get a first class degree :( ! Feel so stupid tbh.

The best advice I can give is to be completely open and honest about your convictions. Whether or not your conviction will affect their views on hiring you or not is a question I cannot answer I'm afraid. Let us know how you get on with your interview and good luck.

Last edited:
The best advice I can give is to be completely open and honest about your convictions. Whether or not your conviction will affect their views on hiring you or not is a question I cannot answer I'm afraid. Let us know how you get on with your interview and good luck.

Thanks, but is the fact I put motoring offence wrong? I didn't know it was tbh.

Thanks, but is the fact I put motoring offence wrong? I didn't know it was tbh.

I'm sure they will ask you to elaborate on details of the offence at interview, in any case, in roles working with children you must submit to an enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check and all details will come to light, just explain truthfully all details of your conviction at interview.

Again, whether or not your conviction will prevent you from securing the job in question will be up to the employer and/or relevant teacher regulation authority.

You need to be honest as not being will result in a termination of your employment. I am a teacher and registered with agencies this way they search for jobs in schools where they accept people are human beings and make mistakes. The agency acts as the middle man and you would not have to speak about it to the school or discuss what happened further. I can guess little comfort as you no doubt like me have a degree and countless other qualifications. I too argue this is a road traffic offence rather than a criminal but in the eyes of an employer they are all the same.

In my case the police rang my work prior to me being in court and I was sacked with immediate effect.

Somehow we have to re build our lives and you will, x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off