Travelling to the USA with a DD conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

helen4476

Hey

Can anyone help, please?

I was convicted in 2011, with 24 month ban (blew 96 at roadside and 106 in police station). With the DD rehabilitation course, my ban finished in Sept 2012. My driving medical is next week. (Ive put it off for various reasons).

Ive come across some old threads about whether or not you need to apply for a visa when travelling to USA, as a single DD conviction is not classed as moral turpitude.

So, can anyone throw any light on whether I should go through the Visa Waiver Programme and pay the money to do what needs to be done at the Embassy or whether I tick the box to say I havent been convicted of a moral turpitude is enough to get me into US without any problems as seems to be indicated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks
Helen

Hey

Can anyone help, please?

I was convicted in 2011, with 24 month ban (blew 96 at roadside and 106 in police station). With the DD rehabilitation course, my ban finished in Sept 2012. My driving medical is next week. (Ive put it off for various reasons).

Ive come across some old threads about whether or not you need to apply for a visa when travelling to USA, as a single DD conviction is not classed as moral turpitude.

So, can anyone throw any light on whether I should go through the Visa Waiver Programme and pay the money to do what needs to be done at the Embassy or whether I tick the box to say I havent been convicted of a moral turpitude is enough to get me into US without any problems as seems to be indicated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks
Helen

Hi Helen,

This thread, while quite lengthy contains lots of information on this topic. The consensus seems to be a drink driving conviction is not classed as a crime of moral turpitude and there are posts from people with a drink driving conviction who haven entered the US with a drink driving conviction via the visa waiver program without any problems.

Hi Helen,

This thread, while quite lengthy contains lots of information on this topic. The consensus seems to be a drink driving conviction is not classed as a crime of moral turpitude and there are posts from people with a drink driving conviction who haven entered the US with a drink driving conviction via the visa waiver program without any problems.

Thanks very much - I did read that thread but with laws/legislation changing all the time, I wasnt sure if some of the responses were relevant now.

Hey Helen,

I know the feeling all to well. Trust me, I've been over three times since, Visa Waiver is fine, don't even sweat about it, just enjoy your holiday

The last time was in the spring btw

Hi Helen,

As another poster says, don't read into the scare mongering, spent many an hour of reading through conflicting advice by "experts" in the field and was none the wiser myself. I am going to the States next week on the Visa Waiver Programme and anticipate no issues. The way the question was worded on the ESTA I answered "no" with a clear conscience. I know one or two others who have been with minor convictions with no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Helen,

As another poster says, don't read into the scare mongering, spent many an hour of reading through conflicting advice by "experts" in the field and was none the wiser myself. I am going to the States next week on the Visa Waiver Programme and anticipate no issues. The way the question was worded on the ESTA I answered "no" with a clear conscience. I know one or two others who have been with minor convictions with no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off