Enquiry re: ban length after Drink Drive Course.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Birms0803

Hi there.

I'm new around these parts, I'm Rob :)

I've just got a burning question that's in the back of my mind.

I, as many other people here, have to live with the shame and disappointment of getting banned for a drink driving offence. Which, I fully accept and have come to terms with the stupid mistake.

I my reading was 53 (breath), however, I unfortunately slipped the clutch and landed myself, first into a bumper of a parked car, then a tree - which stopped me and ruined my car. (down my street)

Most people say I was hard done by, but I think all bans are fair. I received a 30 month ban, community service and a fine (I think it was because of aggravated factors. The ban is from 24th June 2013 to 29 Dec 2015 - 30 weeks off by doing the course,

I have done the Drink Drive course which reduced the ban by 25% as stated. However, after just looking, and calculating, it apears to be wrong (the date the DVLA say my licence can be returned)

I'm banned for 914 days. DVLA say I can have my licence back on 27 May 2015.
but...
25% off this is 228 days. Leaving a ban of 686 days

686 days from 24/6/13 is actually - 11 May 2015.

am I right, or am I Just confused. Or are thye just working it off weeks, so I don't actually get the full 25%?

Thank you V. much for who'ever answers or slaps me about to make it clear :)

DVLA are correct.
You were banned on 24th June 2013 for 30 months, so until 23rd December 2015.
30 weeks off that is 27th May 2015, so you can make the application on 27th March to start the process off.
the ban is in months, then you take the number of weeks off the date you were banned until.
the ban is UP TO 25% after a 12 month ban, and in your case you did get the full 25%. 30 months and community order is high for a reading of 53, so yes, there must have been quite a bit of aggravation circumstances, or other recent convictions on your licence for it to go that high. (Not drink driving or you would have got a minimum of 3 years.....

Hi there.

I'm new around these parts, I'm Rob :)

I've just got a burning question that's in the back of my mind.

I, as many other people here, have to live with the shame and disappointment of getting banned for a drink driving offence. Which, I fully accept and have come to terms with the stupid mistake.

I my reading was 53 (breath), however, I unfortunately slipped the clutch and landed myself, first into a bumper of a parked car, then a tree - which stopped me and ruined my car. (down my street)

Most people say I was hard done by, but I think all bans are fair. I received a 30 month ban, community service and a fine (I think it was because of aggravated factors. The ban is from 24th June 2013 to 29 Dec 2015 - 30 weeks off by doing the course,

I have done the Drink Drive course which reduced the ban by 25% as stated. However, after just looking, and calculating, it apears to be wrong (the date the DVLA say my licence can be returned)

I'm banned for 914 days. DVLA say I can have my licence back on 27 May 2015.
but...
25% off this is 228 days. Leaving a ban of 686 days

686 days from 24/6/13 is actually - 11 May 2015.

am I right, or am I Just confused. Or are thye just working it off weeks, so I don't actually get the full 25%?

Thank you V. much for who'ever answers or slaps me about to make it clear :)

The relevant legislation regarding the reduction in period of driving disqualifications imposed is laid out in the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (RTOA).

Below is the relevant section of the RTOA regarding reduction periods for attendance on drink driving courses.

Section 34A (3) of the RTOA states:

Section 34A Reduced disqualification period for attendance on courses
(3) The reduction made by an order of this section in a period of disqualification imposed under section 34 shall be a period specified in the order of not less than three months and not more than one quarter of the unreduced period (and accordingly where the period imposed under section 34 is twelve months, the reduced period shall be nine months).

It may be that you were not actually rewarded the full quarter (25%) reduction period, as you can see the reduction period can range anywhere from 3 months to a quarter (25%).

If you think that the reduction period you have been awarded is incorrect, it may be worth reviewing any paperwork you received about the drink driving course and reduction period and/or contacting the sentencing court and/or contacting your drink driving course provider.

You're welcome. You got a short answer from me, and a fuller technical answer from the Moderator.... but I was running a course for drink drivers at the time I replied!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off