Need help writing Cheque to DVLA?

Convicted Driver Insurance

jsuthers7

Hi everyone, sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but just need a bit of help writing a cheque to DVLA to start the whole medical process...

Just wondered and hoping that its still £90 and what adress or what i write on the cheque to ensure the payment is recieved?

Yes it is still £90.
You make the cheque out to DVLA and send it to:
DVLA, Swansea SA99 1TU
(I assume you are a High Risk Offender)

Yes it is still £90.
You make the cheque out to DVLA and send it to:
DVLA, Swansea SA99 1TU
(I assume you are a High Risk Offender)

Thanks for the quick reply mate! And yes i am being classed as a "high risk offender" yes.

Just about to post this app with the cheque now. Ive just realised that my disqualification started on 28th June 2012. Do u know if that means i can drive now or do I have to wait for DVLA to recieve the 90 pounds?

If your disqualification was before 1st June 2013 then yes, you can drive, pending the outcome of the medical.
BUT, what you need to to is to get DVLA to acknowledge that you have started the process - either by them sending you a letter to make an appointment with the Doctor who will do the medical on their behalf, or by email confirmation that your application is being processed.
You then state that you want to drive under section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of the medical process. You should ask DVLA to confirm this in writing. That way you have a letter to show the police if you are stopped, and something to copy for your insurance company if they say they want to see your driving licence within 10 or 14 days of you taking out the policy.

If your disqualification was before 1st June 2013 then yes, you can drive, pending the outcome of the medical.
BUT, what you need to to is to get DVLA to acknowledge that you have started the process - either by them sending you a letter to make an appointment with the Doctor who will do the medical on their behalf, or by email confirmation that your application is being processed.
You then state that you want to drive under section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of the medical process. You should ask DVLA to confirm this in writing. That way you have a letter to show the police if you are stopped, and something to copy for your insurance company if they say they want to see your driving licence within 10 or 14 days of you taking out the policy.

Thankyou very much for your very quick and clear reply!

Would you reccomend emailing them stating "that I want to drive under section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of the medical process." and ask for them to send back that they agree Now? (Considering ive sent the D1 With £90 Cheque yesterday) Or would you say thats to soon? Just sounds silly if I am actually allowed to drive under the Section 88 act and Im not on the road with a car waiting outside collecting dust LOL!

Can you just clarify when your ban was due to end? You say it started on 12th June 2012 but didn't say a finish date. If it is already past the date when you could drive then you will be able to drive once the process has started. Saying that it has already started because you have posted the application form is a bit premature. What if it doesn't arrive, what if the cheque bounces? Then the process hasn't started. That is why you should get it in writing from DVLA that your medical process is under way and you can drive under S88. I would leave it at least 7 days from when you sent it before you enquire, to give them time to put the request on their system.

Can you just clarify when your ban was due to end? You say it started on 12th June 2012 but didn't say a finish date. If it is already past the date when you could drive then you will be able to drive once the process has started. Saying that it has already started because you have posted the application form is a bit premature. What if it doesn't arrive, what if the cheque bounces? Then the process hasn't started. That is why you should get it in writing from DVLA that your medical process is under way and you can drive under S88. I would leave it at least 7 days from when you sent it before you enquire, to give them time to put the request on their system.

Oh right, yes sorry. Start of ban was 28 June 2012. End date was 27th December 2013. So ive been off ban for around 10 months! Reason I havent applied months ago is because I simply didnt have enough money to spare to be able to start the process until now.

Ok I sent the application this saturday just gone so will wait till next monday and give them a call or email.

Cheers for your info price!

You're welcome.
let us know how you get on, there are many more People reading this forum than posting on it, so any feedback is useful for everyone.

Right, got that brown DVLA evelope through the post saturday morning. So it took a week to get back. Not bad i suppose. However when i opened it they sent back my app form as id forgot to mark "NO" to not having any driving conditions such as Eye Sight etc...

Lol! My fault I know. I did slightly rush the app form as i wanted it done and sent off. EVERYONE please make sure you fill out all the nessasary questions and tick boxes where your filling out the form as they will send it back. Im hoping they get back to be as soon as possible as they said on a cover letter that i would be priority for a reply. Posted yesterday 1st class so hoping i hear from them within the week.

Suppose it might be in my favour as i can now have another sober week on my back before rushing to book the medical once I have the doctors number. Will keep you all posted!

P.S What an idiot I AM!

You're welcome.
let us know how you get on, there are many more People reading this forum than posting on it, so any feedback is useful for everyone.

Hi Price how are u? Basically just wanted to ask you something... Im expecting my letter from dvla any day now withgp details. I havent drank a SINGLE drop for 3 weeks 2 days. last drink was 19th October which was fairly heavy (maybe 14 cans,red stripe,fosters, heineken) since then nothing. So i noticed you said in a post its bestto get the ball rolling straight away with the medical.

Was thinking of booking it for this weekend coming up, regarding I get the letter this week. Also was wondering if you'd reccomend getting a private CDT test to ensure im under 2.2% just incase. Barring in mind im not an alcholic just have always drank on saturdays since i can remember! lol.

I would suggest putting another week, perhaps 2 in before having your DVLA medical test.
You could ask your GP for a CD test (make sure you specify that, NOT a LFT test) and you are likely to be charged about £40.
The advantage of doing that first is that you don't get a second go at the DVLA medical, (well not for 6 months or a year anyway) so if your GP one is raised, you know to wait for the DVLA one.
Have you got an authority to drive under S88? if so, there is no rush as you are driving anyway, and I would then certainly advocate waiting before doing the DVLA medical.

I would suggest putting another week, perhaps 2 in before having your DVLA medical test.
You could ask your GP for a CD test (make sure you specify that, NOT a LFT test) and you are likely to be charged about £40.
The advantage of doing that first is that you don't get a second go at the DVLA medical, (well not for 6 months or a year anyway) so if your GP one is raised, you know to wait for the DVLA one.
Have you got an authority to drive under S88? if so, there is no rush as you are driving anyway, and I would then certainly advocate waiting before doing the DVLA medical.

Ok i shall wait. No I haven't requested a cover note yet as i thought I had to have the letter back from DVLA about my medical and the address and number of the doc? I didnt realise i could ask for the covernote to drive under section88 this early on. Ive only sent my D1 and 90 cheque 2 weeks ago. Would you reccomend seeking this note now then? thats good news then as I can drive tomorrow.

£40 is a small fee. i may do this just to ensure i pass the real thing.

You should ask DVLA to confirm that your application has been received and put it in writing (email attachment) that you can drive under s88. That way you have something to show the insurance company... And the police if you are stopped.

You should ask DVLA to confirm that your application has been received and put it in writing (email attachment) that you can drive under s88. That way you have something to show the insurance company... And the police if you are stopped.

Thanks alot. Would u reccomend ringing them or emailing them? as i found there email options confusing. I cant write a message its just askin for my email, and name.

I would ring them and ask to be sent a letter by post or email confirming your entitlement.

I would ring them and ask to be sent a letter by post or email confirming your entitlement.
OK just spoke to them now. They are going to send me a cover note stating that i can drive under section 88. I asked for it to be sent by email however she said it would have to be Post LOL!

So I guess my next step is waiting for that cover note to come through! My patience is running out. I really dont understand why she couldnt just send me an email then i would have the cover note instantly.

Oh well, i guess this is progress!

Last edited:
Have you got your insurance sorted out? They have to be aware that you are driving on a temporary licence.

Have you got your insurance sorted out? They have to be aware that you are driving on a temporary licence.

No not yet. but have some really good quotes for some cheap corsa's and fiesta's. Oh ok i wasnt aware of that as there wasnt any option when getting a quote. when i get round to choosing the right policy and ringing them shall I notify them on the phone? do you think this may alarm them and scare them off from insuring me (temp licence?)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off