Non-gb licence holder with DR10

Convicted Driver Insurance

SteGe

Dear all,

I was convicted of Drink Driving (DR10) in 2012. As per procedure, i was taken to a police station where they have confirmed i was over the limit. I was given 2 years ban + fine.
It was very strange that my (non-gb, full EU licence) was given back to me after the court case.
However, i chucked my licence under my bed and completely forgot about it, until 18 months later (reduced after attending Drink Driving Course).
Although i've been honest to my insurers and paying back (in form of very expensive Insurance) for my mistake, i am confused. I do not have a Counter part like a GB licence person would, and i dont have any proof of me being convicted (apart from my Drink Driving Course Certificate).
So my question is, when can i stop reporting my DR10 to insurance companies? I don't even remember that exact dates of the conviction.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
S

Dear all,

I was convicted of Drink Driving (DR10) in 2012. As per procedure, i was taken to a police station where they have confirmed i was over the limit. I was given 2 years ban + fine.
It was very strange that my (non-gb, full EU licence) was given back to me after the court case.
However, i chucked my licence under my bed and completely forgot about it, until 18 months later (reduced after attending Drink Driving Course).
Although i've been honest to my insurers and paying back (in form of very expensive Insurance) for my mistake, i am confused. I do not have a Counter part like a GB licence person would, and i dont have any proof of me being convicted (apart from my Drink Driving Course Certificate).
So my question is, when can i stop reporting my DR10 to insurance companies? I don't even remember that exact dates of the conviction.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
S

You must declare your DR10 conviction to insurance companies for a period of 5 years. You may not have any proof of you being convicted apart from your drink driving course certificate, however, the DVLA will certainly have proof you received a driving disqualification as will the courts.

Failure to declare relevant convictions to your insurer can lead to your insurance policy being voided and cancelled, which means in the event of a claim, no claims will be payable by the insurer at all and you will be liable for all costs incurred. If your insurance was cancelled due to non disclosure your insurance premiums would become even more expensive than they already are and a lot of insurance companies would refuse to insure you.

If you are unsure of the details of your conviction including the date you can contact the DVLA who will be able to provide the information to you.

Hi, I had a simular situation. Got convicted on my EU license in the UK, was given back to me, I researched that I was able to drive anywhere else outside the UK and my EU license still valid. That's 5 years now and I always declared DR10 to my insurances. I called the DVLA today to find out about points etc..... They told me I had not renewed my license so I can not drive. My EU license is still valid .... I am just in the UK for under 3 years. Did the DVLA mean I have to renew my UK license I never had? And I can not drive with my EU license even if that one has never been taken off me? And how can the DVLA hold points for using my mobile in 2012 while driving and telling me now I had to renew, saying I can not drive in the UK?
All this makes no sense. Please help.

Mini mouse,
the reason that DVLA hold details of your points from 2012 is that when a non UK licence holder is given points, DVLA create a 'dummy licence record' for you, and put the points on that, even though the licence does not exist. That way, when you ask for a UK licence, the proper points are there to be put on the licence you ask for.
the court should have retained your licence when you were banned, even though it was not a UK one, and sent it to DVLA who in turn should have retained it until the end of your ban, then sent it back to you. That often does not happen, but at is the proper procedure to follow.
i presume DVLA are then relying on you being resident in the UK since at least 2009, when you got your drink drive ban, and later your points in 2012, making at least 5 years residency, which is over the 3 year limit. This is in accordance with the advice given here:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence
That, however, is not now correct and a holder of a EU licence can drive on that licence now for 3 years after coming to live here, or up to the age of 70, whichever is longer..... As in this guidance which IS the current position:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_068659.pdf

i suggest you point out this advice to DVLA and demand that you continue to be allowed to drive on your EU licence.

ste Ge,
you will have to declare your conviction to insurance companies for 5 years from the date you were convicted. It you cannot remember the date, ring the provider that you did the course with and they should be able to tell you from their records.

So it's new that I can drive on EU license as a resident for as long as my eu license is valid. What about the part that my eu license was revoked? I did not renew after the ban? If I renew my license now and I was supposing not allowed to drive, but I got points in 2012, will the dvla say I was driving without license and I lose my license again?

It has been the case for several years that you can drive for 3 years after becoming resident or until the age of 70, whichever is the longer. It was not widely realised that this extended the previously known 3 year rule, and that is why the 3 years is still often quoted. It does say 'so long as your licence is current.' So your home licence does have to be in date. Which country do you have a licence for?
Of course, DVLA cannot renew your licence, only your home country.
Your home licence was not revoked, you.were disqualified from driving in the UK so not allowed to drive here, but as you said before, you were allowed to drive elsewhere. Once your ban finished, you are then allowed to drive on your home licence again. When you were done for speeding in 2012, your points were put on your 'dummy licence ' at DVLA, as was the DR10 for drink driving.... Because DVLA cannot endorse your non UK licence.

My license is issued in Germany as an EU one. Are you sure my license is not revoked in the UK? DVLA told me I had to renew it and I can not drive. After my ban I wrote to the DVLA and questioned why I had to renew my eu license. Never got an answer. Should I now renew or exchange my license? And again I am terrified they will say I drove in 2012 in the UK without a license. Does this nightmare ever ends?

Mini mouse,
DVLA cannot revoke a licence that they have not issued, only Germany can revoke a German licence. All That can happen in this country it to remove your right do drive on that licence for the duration of your ban. When that ban has run out, your German licence is valid again. How long have you lived her for?

I have lived here on and off but with the new handling that I can drive with my eu license even as a resident it should not matter. I am just terrified of all this. Should I just apply for a new license? Or don't I have too anymore as I am allowed to drive with my eu license? And why did the DVLA told me I can't drive as I failed to renew????

ste Ge,
you will have to declare your conviction to insurance companies for 5 years from the date you were convicted. It you cannot remember the date, ring the provider that you did the course with and they should be able to tell you from their records.

Thank you for confirming this to me.

S

You can apply to have your licence exchanged for a UK one, but your German one is valid until it runs out.
I think DVLA just have misunderstood your entitlement. Get in touch with them and point out the Government link that I showed which clearly says that you are entitled to use your German licence until you are 70.

I have also noticed DVLA does not take under consideration their own policies and rules. For example ... when i called DVLA for more information about my conviction, they've queried the fact that i did not registered my driving licence in UK. (what ever that means) However ... on their own page in direct.gov ... it is clearly stated that it is my decision if want or not to register my EU driving licence. They've made a big problem about it, even threatening me with prosecution. With all my respect to the UK Gov Organizations but this one hell of a mess. Of course this is my own opinion and i am not trying to influence anybody.

Regards
S

I am so confused with the DVLA. They tell me I can't drive because I did not renew my license but they have on their system that i got 3 points in 2012 obviously driving. Shouldn't they have prosecuted me? Or can they still do it if I apply for my UK license?

All they will do if you apply to exchange your German licence for a UK one is to put your drink drive conviction on it, and your 3 points for speeding. You will not be prosecuted for driving without a licence in 2012.
i have already said what you should do, tell them you have a German licence which is valid, show them the Government advice that I highlighted for you which says you can use it until you are 70 and then ask them to justify why they are saying that you have no licence.

All they will do if you apply to exchange your German license for a UK one is to put your drink drive conviction on it, and your 3 points for speeding. You will not be prosecuted for driving without a license in 2012.
i have already said what you should do, tell them you have a German license which is valid, show them the Government advice that I highlighted for you which says you can use it until you are 70 and then ask them to justify why they are saying that you have no license.

Hi Price 1367,

I'm hoping you can help me out with an answer to my questions. I have an EU License (Irish) ended up doing something stupid one night and received a conviction dr30 code. Received a 28 month ban but this has now been reduced to 21 months since i have completed the rehabilitation course. My license was never requested from me at the magistrates so i still have it in my possession. During the drivers course the instructor said that i would have to do the dvla medical to get my license back (which meant no sense to me as i told him i have my license) so my question is do i have to complete the medical.
Can i start driving again with my EU license (still in date). Should i expect something in the post telling me that my ban is up and i can start driving again.

Thanks for your help you seem to be the most knowledgeable person on this forum.

Regards

I hope that wasn’t one of our trainers telling you about the medical, because that advice is wrong for non British licence holders.
As an Irish licence holder you can drive as soon as your ban is up. Our DVLA cannot make a foreign licence holder take a medical.
you are unlikely to even receive a notification from them that your ban I sent up. The only notification they give British drivers is an application form to re apply for their licence and as you do not hold one here that will not happen.
Just be careful about how much reduction you were offered for completing the course. For 28 months some courts give the maximum 25% but some give 28 weeks, which is only about 6.5 months.......

I hope that wasn’t one of our trainers telling you about the medical, because that advice is wrong for non British licence holders.
As an Irish licence holder you can drive as soon as your ban is up. Our DVLA cannot make a foreign licence holder take a medical.
you are unlikely to even receive a notification from them that your ban I sent up. The only notification they give British drivers is an application form to re apply for their licence and as you do not hold one here that will not happen.
Just be careful about how much reduction you were offered for completing the course. For 28 months some courts give the maximum 25% but some give 28 weeks, which is only about 6.5 months.......

Thank you for your advice ,

The courts stated 25% reduction so happy days.
So does that mean if I ever got pulled in at a checkpoint etc and gave my details as long as my ban was served everything would be ok and it wouldn’t flag up the fact that I didn’t do the medical or is it common knowledge that eu licsense holders don’t have to complete the medical. I just have a fear after reading some other comments the DVLA and police might not be the best at communicating or updating drivers status in relation to bans etc. Oh and the course was ran by s.e.a.t

A roadside check will not show up that you haven’t done a medical.
It might be good to keep your driving licence with you for a while, together with your certificate of completion, after you start driving but there should be no problem at all if you are stopped.
You paid for a course with S.E.A.T. and then come here for free advice from me....... shame on you! Still, enjoy the driving... oh and watch out what happens with an EU licence after Brexit. At the moment EU licence holders can use their licences until the age of 70 without exchanging it for a GB one. Non Eu licence holders have to exchange them within 12 months. What will happen after Brexit? Who knows........

Witam w październiku 2020 roku zostałem skazany przez sąd na 23 miesiące zakazu prowadzenia pojazdów jako przestępca wysokiego ryzyka ukończyłem kurs skracający zakaz o 23 tygodnie więc mój zakaz wygasł 12 kwietnia 2022 roku posiadam europejską jazdę licencja nie brytyjska, dziś otrzymałem pismo od Dvla z wnioskiem o badania lekarskie, natomiast na stronie dvl przeczytałem, że jako posiadacz licencji europejskiej nie muszę robić takich badań i że mój zakaz przejdzie automatycznie, mój pytanie co powinienem zrobić w takiej sytuacji ???

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off