Please help...new job advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

iJamie83

Hello everyone,

I was convicted for being drunk in charge of a vehicle in September 2005 and was subsequently disqualified for 12 months and fined £150. It was my darkest hour and I'm ashamed of how it came about. I was working in the hospitality industry at the time and worried about my job so shortly after, I sought advice from the employee assistance programme and their legal helpline about how it might affect me and the job application I'd submitted at the time of the incident.

I got a letter from them saying that the period of rehabilitation was equal to the period disqualification so after the 12 month ban I need not disclose the conviction under the ROA 1974 after 12 months, but I should up until that date. As it was, I moved jobs 6 months later no problems.

I left that job in October '06 to go back to uni, eventually finishing the degree in October '08. I applied to a graduate scheme just as it finished and got through to the assesment centre in Nov '08 where I had to fill in the health declarations and criminal record disclosure...I ticked no thinking the above was true. Didn't hear anything from that job until a few weeks ago and they'd like me to start in September and I'm now faced with a CRB check. Having read a bit more...I understand that my rehabilitation period is actually 5 years because of the fine.

So this is obviously going to appear on the crb check, but because I ticked no, it's going to look like I'm being dishonest. I really don't know what to do and I'm worried about being rejected because of this and I really really want the job. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

I was thinking about writing a letter to the HR people saying pretty much the above, but I'm going to try and find that letter (I have moved several times since though!)

Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's getting me really worried!

Hello everyone,

I was convicted for being drunk in charge of a vehicle in September 2005 and was subsequently disqualified for 12 months and fined £150. It was my darkest hour and I'm ashamed of how it came about. I was working in the hospitality industry at the time and worried about my job so shortly after, I sought advice from the employee assistance programme and their legal helpline about how it might affect me and the job application I'd submitted at the time of the incident.

I got a letter from them saying that the period of rehabilitation was equal to the period disqualification so after the 12 month ban I need not disclose the conviction under the ROA 1974 after 12 months, but I should up until that date. As it was, I moved jobs 6 months later no problems.

I left that job in October '06 to go back to uni, eventually finishing the degree in October '08. I applied to a graduate scheme just as it finished and got through to the assesment centre in Nov '08 where I had to fill in the health declarations and criminal record disclosure...I ticked no thinking the above was true. Didn't hear anything from that job until a few weeks ago and they'd like me to start in September and I'm now faced with a CRB check. Having read a bit more...I understand that my rehabilitation period is actually 5 years because of the fine.

So this is obviously going to appear on the crb check, but because I ticked no, it's going to look like I'm being dishonest. I really don't know what to do and I'm worried about being rejected because of this and I really really want the job. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

I was thinking about writing a letter to the HR people saying pretty much the above, but I'm going to try and find that letter (I have moved several times since though!)

Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's getting me really worried!

Seen as the rehabilitation period for a fine, before it becomes spent under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 is 5 years and you were misinformed at the time of application, I would advise that you contact the employer as soon as possible and explain the situation. It would obviously help if you found the original letter you received. The drink driving conviction is going to come to light once during the CRB regardless. Honesty is the best policy.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off