First Offence, Any Advice?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bastille

Firstly, i would appreciate any help here.

On Friday evening I had been out for a meal, had a bottle of wine (to share) and a pint of lager. I knew I would be risking it, but stupidly I drove anyway.

I got to a roundabout, (30 seconds from my front door) hit some ice and span into a sign post. The car was damaged as I think the drive shaft had gone into the gear box, and it wouldn’t allow me to change gear.

After getting out, I looked at the damage, and decided to go home and try to get my friend to move the car, bad decision mk II. The police found me at my house, where I didn't deny anything, I admitted I was the driver and that I had been drinking. They didn't breathalyse me on the spot, but cuffed me and did it at the station. I blew 58 and 63 respectively.

What sort of punishment am I looking at, and is there any advice I could be given?

I am expecting an 18 month ban, and a large fine as I left the scene.

My boss has been brilliant and has said that I can keep my job, and will re-locate me elsewhere in the office for a year, but anything more could mean I lose my job. I am a field sales rep, and drive across the country. I had, until now a clean license.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Well firstly, you're not alone. This webpage is a geat source of advice so I'm sure you'll get the answers to the many questions you will have on here.

I'd suggest getting in touch with a solicitor (you might get legal aid but this depends on your wage). I did an it prepares you for the court case. Other than that there's not much you can do. You're not alone. Loads of us have made this same mistake and have learnt the hard way. It will get better and it's good news your employer is moving you, some aren't so lucky!

Well firstly, you're not alone. This webpage is a geat source of advice so I'm sure you'll get the answers to the many questions you will have on here.

I'd suggest getting in touch with a solicitor (you might get legal aid but this depends on your wage). I did an it prepares you for the court case. Other than that there's not much you can do. You're not alone. Loads of us have made this same mistake and have learnt the hard way. It will get better and it's good news your employer is moving you, some aren't so lucky!

Thanks 'badtimes'.

I'm just worried for my future now. I'm only 24 and having a criminal record is petrifying. I was hoping to progress further in my career as the pay is not the best, but i need to just get my head down and get the work done. Court case is on the 11th December. I don't feel i can afford a legal representative, but i sam being advised not to go alone into court.

Thanks 'badtimes'.

I'm just worried for my future now. I'm only 24 and having a criminal record is petrifying. I was hoping to progress further in my career as the pay is not the best, but i need to just get my head down and get the work done. Court case is on the 11th December. I don't feel i can afford a legal representative, but i sam being advised not to go alone into court.
Hi Bastille,
I think the court day is the worst, once that is over you can start to move on, looking at your reading I would imagine that you will get 12 months reduced to 9 with the course if the magistrate/judge is on your side? I have just been on the course and it's amazing after hearing different stories how much the bans vary, I suppose it just depends on which court etc you are appearing at, which isn't really fair, but such is English justice!
As far a legal representation is concerned to be honest I'm not sure it makes any difference I don't think it did in my case and just cost me a lot of money, but again everyone has different experiences, I think as long as you go to court smartly dressed and are respectful. I had no experience of courts and duty solicitors when I went but there was one there so possibly I could have saved myself a lot of money, but that's a personal decision you will have to make. The one thing to remember is that we all do things wrong and in turn we learn by it so don't beat yourself up! oh and the ban will fly past. Best of luck and let us know how you get on. x

Hi Bastille,
I think the court day is the worst, once that is over you can start to move on, looking at your reading I would imagine that you will get 12 months reduced to 9 with the course if the magistrate/judge is on your side? I have just been on the course and it's amazing after hearing different stories how much the bans vary, I suppose it just depends on which court etc you are appearing at, which isn't really fair, but such is English justice!
As far a legal representation is concerned to be honest I'm not sure it makes any difference I don't think it did in my case and just cost me a lot of money, but again everyone has different experiences, I think as long as you go to court smartly dressed and are respectful. I had no experience of courts and duty solicitors when I went but there was one there so possibly I could have saved myself a lot of money, but that's a personal decision you will have to make. The one thing to remember is that we all do things wrong and in turn we learn by it so don't beat yourself up! oh and the ban will fly past. Best of luck and let us know how you get on. x

Thanks Clairec.

It feels good to talk about it, and hear other peoples version of events. I normally live to the motto that "if you cant change the outcome, why worry", but i want as short as ban as possible. (obviously we all do)

I've never been in trouble before and i'm a very hopnest person. Will haviong character witnesses help? Also my boss said he would write a letter explaining i can only be moved in the company for a year.

I'm concerned as i haven't been interviewed by the police, just arrested and breathalysed, then the night in the cell. In court will i get a say?

Thanks again. It's much appreciated.

Thanks Clairec.

It feels good to talk about it, and hear other peoples version of events. I normally live to the motto that "if you cant change the outcome, why worry", but i want as short as ban as possible. (obviously we all do)

I've never been in trouble before and i'm a very hopnest person. Will haviong character witnesses help? Also my boss said he would write a letter explaining i can only be moved in the company for a year.

I'm concerned as i haven't been interviewed by the police, just arrested and breathalysed, then the night in the cell. In court will i get a say?

Thanks again. It's much appreciated.
I'm sorry but I can only go on my experience in giving you advice? I don't think it made a jot of difference having a £700 solicitor in attendence he said nothing that I couldn't have said myself, but then you may have to speak for yourself which may seem quite daunting but you appear quite capable of doing that. I took character references to court and the solicitor advised me not to pass them to the judge as he would speak for me (wrong choice)? You will get a say in court but you have to be prepared to do that.
Claire

I'm sorry but I can only go on my experience in giving you advice? I don't think it made a jot of difference having a £700 solicitor in attendence he said nothing that I couldn't have said myself, but then you may have to speak for yourself which may seem quite daunting but you appear quite capable of doing that. I took character references to court and the solicitor advised me not to pass them to the judge as he would speak for me (wrong choice)? You will get a say in court but you have to be prepared to do that.
Claire

Well im in court at 9:45 tomorrow. Will let you know how i get on. Decided against a solicitor, and 'defend' myself. Nervous, and anticipating a bit of a grilling.

Firstly, i would appreciate any help here.

On Friday evening I had been out for a meal, had a bottle of wine (to share) and a pint of lager. I knew I would be risking it, but stupidly I drove anyway.

I got to a roundabout, (30 seconds from my front door) hit some ice and span into a sign post. The car was damaged as I think the drive shaft had gone into the gear box, and it wouldn’t allow me to change gear.

After getting out, I looked at the damage, and decided to go home and try to get my friend to move the car, bad decision mk II. The police found me at my house, where I didn't deny anything, I admitted I was the driver and that I had been drinking. They didn't breathalyse me on the spot, but cuffed me and did it at the station. I blew 58 and 63 respectively.

What sort of punishment am I looking at, and is there any advice I could be given?

I am expecting an 18 month ban, and a large fine as I left the scene.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.
Hi I think you are looking at a 2 year ban, One year is compulsory even if it is your first offence, and then you have leaving the scene of an accident and not reporting it and the fact you had an accident whilst under the influence. However they will prob off you a rehabilitation coursse that costs around £170 and is four half days or three full days and will cut about 3-6 months off your sentece and is well worth it as it is a very interesting course.
Good Luck..also you may have to have a private medical to get your licence back and that costs another £90 plus vat

My boss has been brilliant and has said that I can keep my job, and will re-locate me elsewhere in the office for a year, but anything more could mean I lose my job. I am a field sales rep, and drive across the country. I had, until now a clean license.

Hi I think you are looking at a 2 year ban, One year is compulsory even if it is your first offence, and then you have leaving the scene of an accident and not reporting it and the fact you had an accident whilst under the influence. However they will prob off you a rehabilitation coursse that costs around £170 and is four half days or three full days and will cut about 3-6 months off your sentece and is well worth it as it is a very interesting course.
Good Luck..also you may have to have a private medical to get your licence back and that costs another £90 plus vat

Well, having just got home from court, I'm happy enough with the outcome.

I received a 16 month ban, with the offer of the Drink Drive course, to which I will take, which will reduce the ban to 12 months.

I received a fine of £210 which I believe to be very lenient.

Standing for my self with no solicitor was daunting, but as I was pleading guilty to both accounts, I found it was pointless splashing out £XXX on a legal representative.

They said there was no further charge for the leaving the scene of an accident as I lived extremely close and that I admitted it was me straight away.

Thanks for your support. I won't be leaving this forum. I think it's helped me get through a rough period in my life.

365 days left... And counting until I'm back behind the wheel. This time, there won't be a "ill just have one" case.

Well, having just got home from court, I'm happy enough with the outcome.

I received a 16 month ban, with the offer of the Drink Drive course, to which I will take, which will reduce the ban to 12 months.

I received a fine of £210 which I believe to be very lenient.

Standing for my self with no solicitor was daunting, but as I was pleading guilty to both accounts, I found it was pointless splashing out £XXX on a legal representative.

They said there was no further charge for the leaving the scene of an accident as I lived extremely close and that I admitted it was me straight away.

Thanks for your support. I won't be leaving this forum. I think it's helped me get through a rough period in my life.

365 days left... And counting until I'm back behind the wheel. This time, there won't be a "ill just have one" case.

The court was very lenient with you, you must be very relieved, for my first offence I got an 18 month ban and a fine of £255 because I couldnt supply a sample even though I asked for a blood test, I think alot of it depends on the judge and where you live, Enjoy your christmas, just be careful about drinking for the last 2 months before you get your licence back as they require a private medical and this involves a liver function test.

I thought they only required a medical if you were over two times the limit? I may be wrong.

I will enjoy my Christmas. Albeit I'm working a lot of it, my bicycle should keep me fit.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off