What happened to me.....

Convicted Driver Insurance

Enquiries

Hi everyone,

I've been circling this forum for around a year now after discovering it when I was convicted of Drink Driving.

Like many others I came across the forum after trying to seek some advice about my wrong doing. As many will know it is a life changing experience, more for some than others, but everyone is different an some may find it harder than others to come to terms with.

We all know we have made a mistake(s) in the past, we're only human right? We need to learn where we went wrong, so we can avoid it in the future (for the better!)

It all began last year, on the way back from a birthday meal, the night went on as it does, few laughs and a few drinks.. It got to around 11:30pm - the pub was closing and we got ready to leave, we said our goodbyes etc. Me and a friend got in my vehicle an began to make our way home where I agreed to drop him off at his place. Few streets away whilst travelling down a dual-carriage way I misjudged my speed and clipped the kurb which sent me into the central reservation, this then put me in a 360 spin and landed the car at the junction to a roundabout, I looked around to identify what had gone on! Total blur! I managed to get out the car unharmed and so did my friend, I saw the state the vehicle was in and without thinking I told him we needed to go, so we shot off from the scene and ran back to mine. 10mins or so later, the police turned up and immediately I held my hands up and told them I was the driver, they placed me under arrest and did what they needed to do. The two officers that dealt with me were very sympathetic and they realized that I knew what I had done and was willing to pay the price. They knew I'd been drinking because they could smell the intoxicants on my breath so they got my into the car and proceeded to the station (no road-side test done). After getting to the station it was around 30mins til I got to the custody desk where questions were asked, items handed over etc. I was breathalyzed on their main machine where I blew two counts of 61. I consumed 2 pints with my meal. I felt sober which is why I drove (just proves that's not always the case!) The officer even stated that I didn't look "drunk" or "un-cooperative" and ran me through the procedure as they do. They put me in a cell til around 5am when they got me to do an interview about the situation, so I could give my words on what happened. Once they had taken everything they needed they put me in front of the c.desk where I was told my court date etc. The officers offered to give me a ride home which of course I did not turn down! (roughly 1.5hr walk!)

The worst was yet to come as I waited for my court date, everyday dragged, got down and depressed. I wasn't my self at all.
I think I had around a month wait before I was in front of the magistrate but when the day came, I was a bag of nerves.
Never have I been through anything like this, I didn't know what to expect cause ti was all new to me. I have a vauge memory of what happened when I was in court but once I was out I felt as though the world had been lifted from my shoulders (This moment throughout the whole ordeal seemed like it was over) No more worries of what I might be given, custodial sentence was what I was dreading!

At the end of all of this I was given a 17 month ban reduced to 13 with the rehabilitation course, and a £150 fine.
First criminal offence, driving license held for 1year & 2 months.

I thought I would share with you my experience as I know a lot of people would like to know the outcome, so you can at least see what was given in court if you happen to be in a similar situation.

My time is almost up now with 44 days left and counting. The worst part of the whole experience was the wait for the court appearance.
I sent off my D1 application last Tuesday and got my license in the post yesterday morning. The DVLA did send me my notification for renewal 56 days before my ban was to end, but being as I had a D1 form from the course I was told I could send this off anyway before the renewal came.

All I want to say is that we all do something which we later regret, and in my case something I won't be doing again. EVER. I'm greatfull to walk away uninjured and my friend also, and glad I didn't injury any member of the public.
If the beers out, leave the car at home. It really is that simple. I will never moan about taxi prices again lol.
Once the court day is over with, it really does fly by. I've managed to talk my mind of it as much as possible but with all my friends being petrol heads it's seriously hard not to think about it, just to add also, I did not tell anyone apart from close family, friends & employer who was amazing about it all I managed to keep my job and everything that goes with it - minus the ability to drive.

Just keep your head held high and it will pass in no time. Although I mentioned the wait for the court date would be the longest, I think these next 44 days will be even worse! If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help as best as I can.

Stay safe everyone, and remember, ALC + VEHICLES = A NO BRAINER!

Hi everyone,

I've been circling this forum for around a year now after discovering it when I was convicted of Drink Driving.

Like many others I came across the forum after trying to seek some advice about my wrong doing. As many will know it is a life changing experience, more for some than others, but everyone is different an some may find it harder than others to come to terms with.

We all know we have made a mistake(s) in the past, we're only human right? We need to learn where we went wrong, so we can avoid it in the future (for the better!)

It all began last year, on the way back from a birthday meal, the night went on as it does, few laughs and a few drinks.. It got to around 11:30pm - the pub was closing and we got ready to leave, we said our goodbyes etc. Me and a friend got in my vehicle an began to make our way home where I agreed to drop him off at his place. Few streets away whilst travelling down a dual-carriage way I misjudged my speed and clipped the kurb which sent me into the central reservation, this then put me in a 360 spin and landed the car at the junction to a roundabout, I looked around to identify what had gone on! Total blur! I managed to get out the car unharmed and so did my friend, I saw the state the vehicle was in and without thinking I told him we needed to go, so we shot off from the scene and ran back to mine. 10mins or so later, the police turned up and immediately I held my hands up and told them I was the driver, they placed me under arrest and did what they needed to do. The two officers that dealt with me were very sympathetic and they realized that I knew what I had done and was willing to pay the price. They knew I'd been drinking because they could smell the intoxicants on my breath so they got my into the car and proceeded to the station (no road-side test done). After getting to the station it was around 30mins til I got to the custody desk where questions were asked, items handed over etc. I was breathalyzed on their main machine where I blew two counts of 61. I consumed 2 pints with my meal. I felt sober which is why I drove (just proves that's not always the case!) The officer even stated that I didn't look "drunk" or "un-cooperative" and ran me through the procedure as they do. They put me in a cell til around 5am when they got me to do an interview about the situation, so I could give my words on what happened. Once they had taken everything they needed they put me in front of the c.desk where I was told my court date etc. The officers offered to give me a ride home which of course I did not turn down! (roughly 1.5hr walk!)

The worst was yet to come as I waited for my court date, everyday dragged, got down and depressed. I wasn't my self at all.
I think I had around a month wait before I was in front of the magistrate but when the day came, I was a bag of nerves.
Never have I been through anything like this, I didn't know what to expect cause ti was all new to me. I have a vauge memory of what happened when I was in court but once I was out I felt as though the world had been lifted from my shoulders (This moment throughout the whole ordeal seemed like it was over) No more worries of what I might be given, custodial sentence was what I was dreading!

At the end of all of this I was given a 17 month ban reduced to 13 with the rehabilitation course, and a £150 fine.

I thought I would share with you my experience as I know a lot of people would like to know the outcome, so you can at least see what was given in court if you happen to be in a similar situation.

My time is almost up now with 44 days left and counting. The worst part of the whole experience was the wait for the court appearance.
I sent off my D1 application last Tuesday and got my license in the post yesterday morning. The DVLA did send me my notification for renewal 56 days before my ban was to end, but being as I had a D1 form from the course I was told I could send this off anyway before the renewal came.

All I want to say is that we all do something which we later regret, and in my case something I won't be doing again. EVER. I'm greatfull to walk away uninjured and my friend also, and glad I didn't injury any member of the public.
If the beers out, leave the car at home. It really is that simple. I will never moan about taxi prices again lol.
Once the court day is over with, it really does fly by. I've managed to talk my mind of it as much as possible but with all my friends being petrol heads it's seriously hard not to think about it, just to add also, I did not tell anyone apart from close family, friends & employer who was amazing about it all I managed to keep my job and everything that goes with it - minus the ability to drive.

Just keep your head held high and it will pass in no time. Although I mentioned the wait for the court date would be the longest, I think these next 44 days will be even worse! If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help as best as I can.

Wow your story is so touching , thanks for sharing it. Quite true. I really promised myself that even a pint or a small drink I will not drive, as drink is bad bad,

Wow your story is so touching , thanks for sharing it. Quite true. I really promised myself that even a pint or a small drink I will not drive, as drink is bad bad,

Hi Lilly, really appreciate you taking your time to read my situation, it really is that easy to get yourself over the limit, it's frightening!

Stay safe and be careful whilst on the road!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, it certainly helps to know you're not the only one in this awful situation. I agree the waiting for court is the worst part. I had a similar reading as you and got the same ban, am now five months in and I must admit it is going quickly. I'm doing the course at the moment and to be honest it's not that bad, it's a shame they don't teach you some of these things at the driving test.
I don't know if anyone agrees here, but what really annoys me is the fact that there are people who blew a lot more than me and even had aggrivating circumstances and yet got a shorter ban than me!!
Not long now until you get your licence back so good luck and stay safe.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off