caught drink driving.

Convicted Driver Insurance

smcooper10

Hi,

Last night i was caught drink driving and the reading was 84. I'm 20 years old and a student and this is 1 act of stupidity in a so far clean record. I am really scared and don't really know what to expect. I really regret what i did and just looking for some advice and what is likely to happen to me come the day of my hearing.

No expert, but here's some advice from my own experience.

When you get to the court on the day of your hearing, find the usher and give your name and details. Tell them it's your first time in court and ask exactly where you should go and what you should do; they are usually pretty helpful. The next thing to ask is to see the duty solicitor; he/she will answer any questions you have and will represent you in court free of charge. This will help make things a lot less stressful for you. It's really not worth paying for your own solicitor if you are going to plead guilty. Obviously dress reasonably smartly and be polite (you address the magistrate as "your worship"). You can ask the duty solicitor to apologise to the court for you and express your regret for your behaviour, which never does any harm. It will help if you co-operated with the police at the time of your arrest, and also if you plead guilty. Be prepared for a long day waiting round in the court building; the more complex and "important" cases are usually dealt with first, so you might end up last on the list. Not good for the nerves!

You will get a minimum 12 month ban and a fine. Was the reading of 84 for a breath test or a blood test? If for a blood test you were only just over the limit, but if for a breath test it will push you up to the next category and a minimum 18 month ban. (See the sentencing guidelines on this website.) The amount you are fined will depend on your income.You will usually be offered a rehabilitation course which costs about £130 but will take up to a quarter of the time off your ban (eg up to three months off a 12 month ban). Remember that the ban comes into effect immediately (so don't drive to court because you won't be able to drive home).

Appearing in court is scary and unpleasant but it probably won't be as bad as you think. And you won't go to prison!

Good luck; let us know how you get on.

Thankyou so much for your reply i much appreciate this made me relax alot more. I am a student so currently looking for a summer job which i have not yet found but i have been looking and applying which therefore means i have no income and little money, will the court take this into consideration upon fining me? Will accepting the rehab course also lower my fine? Will i have to pay the fine before i leave court or is there payment plans?

Look forward to hearing your response.

Thanks

Thankyou so much for your reply i much appreciate this made me relax alot more. I am a student so currently looking for a summer job which i have not yet found but i have been looking and applying which therefore means i have no income and little money, will the court take this into consideration upon fining me? Will accepting the rehab course also lower my fine? Will i have to pay the fine before i leave court or is there payment plans?

Look forward to hearing your response.

Thanks

Hi,

The court will take your financial circumstances in account when deciding on the amount of fine to impose and you will be asked to fill out a financial means form.

Taking the drink driving rehabilitation course will not lower your fine, it knocks up to 25% off any disqualification imposed and you will need to pay for it yourself, however there are concessionary rates are available to those on benefits, state pension or full time students. All fees must be paid in advance.

You should be able to come to some sort of arrangement with the court and be able to pay any fine imposed by installments.

Hi,

Taking the drink driving rehabilitation course will not lower your fine, it knocks up to 25% off any disqualification imposed and you will need to pay for it yourself, however there are concessionary rates are available to those on benefits, state pension or full time students.

This is not always the case; the magistrates said there would be a concessionary rate but the company running the course (VMCL) said they had actually dropped that a long time ago and everybody now pays full price. You may be referred to a different company for your course and might be luckier.
Completing the course is also said to help reduce your insurance premiums when you come to drive again but we have yet to find out how much difference it makes as there are a few months to go yet :(.

I went to court on 20 June. 38 year clean licence. Alcohol reading 71. Received a 20 month ban and £558 fine and I am on benefits. Depends which magistrates or more importantly the clerk who tells them what to do! I suggest you use the duty solicitor, I wish I had. Good Luck.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off