9 mg over on blood after hospital admission

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jackonicko

Good evening,

A good friend's ex-husband (not me!) crashed his car two weeks ago at lunchtime on Saturday. No-one else was involved or injured in the accident, nor was anyone else's property damaged.

He had been drinking the night before (his birthday) but not, he says, on the morning in question.

He crashed his car, banged his head on the steering wheel and was briefly admitted to hospital.

A blood sample was taken (I understand this to be routine after an RTA) and he heard today that he was 9 mg over the limit.

He is employed in the motor trade in a small independent garage. His workplace is not commutable by public transport from his home, and he needs a licence to test drive/move cars.

He is divorced, and relies on being able to drive in order to see his young son.

He has no previous convictions.

What can he expect in terms of fine/ban?

How hard will the book be thrown?

What would his best course of action be from here?

(I don't like the man, personally, but any punishment is likely to affect the innocents around him at least as much as him, which tempers my feeling that he should get what's coming, and is what makes me want the best advice for the man.)

Good evening,

A good friend's ex-husband (not me!) crashed his car two weeks ago at lunchtime on Saturday. No-one else was involved or injured in the accident, nor was anyone else's property damaged.

He had been drinking the night before (his birthday) but not, he says, on the morning in question.

He crashed his car, banged his head on the steering wheel and was briefly admitted to hospital.

A blood sample was taken (I understand this to be routine after an RTA) and he heard today that he was 9 mg over the limit.

He is employed in the motor trade in a small independent garage. His workplace is not commutable by public transport from his home, and he needs a licence to test drive/move cars.

He is divorced, and relies on being able to drive in order to see his young son.

He has no previous convictions.

What can he expect in terms of fine/ban?

How hard will the book be thrown?

What would his best course of action be from here?

(I don't like the man, personally, but any punishment is likely to affect the innocents around him at least as much as him, which tempers my feeling that he should get what's coming, and is what makes me want the best advice for the man.)

If he was 9 mg over the limit then this would equate to 89mg as the legal limit is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol with a blood test result of anywhere between 81-137 sentencing guidelines suggest a band C fine and a driving diqualification of between 12-16 months. The fact that he was involved in a road traffic accident will be seen as an aggravating factor which can only go towards increasing any sentence imposed. The majority of first time offenders are usually given the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course which, once completed, can reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off