dvla medical test

Convicted Driver Insurance

minnie

please can you tell me were you go .i was banned for 3 years reduced on appeal to 1 year and that finished in march and i presumed it meant that was it i have just bought a car and was applying for a new licence and noticed i might need to take a medical .i have no doctor .i was never told i would have to have a medical and thought i could just go back to driving after submitting the form of renewal of licence and have been driving cause it said you can after submitting your form for a new licence and paying the fee i was i think 90 mg in breath test but not sure ..am i in trouble for driving and were can i get this dvla medical done as i have no uk doctor urgent help please:mad::eek:

please can you tell me were you go .i was banned for 3 years reduced on appeal to 1 year and that finished in march and i presumed it meant that was it i have just bought a car and was applying for a new licence and noticed i might need to take a medical .i have no doctor .i was never told i would have to have a medical and thought i could just go back to driving after submitting the form of renewal of licence and have been driving cause it said you can after submitting your form for a new licence and paying the fee i was i think 90 mg in breath test but not sure ..am i in trouble for driving and were can i get this dvla medical done as i have no uk doctor urgent help please:mad::eek:

Have you received your driving licence? If you have already been issued with a driving licence then you have nothing to worry about and do not need to submit to a medical.

If you are yet to receive your driving licence and are unsure if you will have to undergo a medical before you can drive again, I would refrain from driving until you have contacted the DVLA. Contact the DVLA first thing tomorow and they will be able to tell you one way or another.

thank you butwere would i find a doctor if i had to please...no i havent got the licence or anything from them

thank you butwere would i find a doctor if i had to please...no i havent got the licence or anything from them

You need to contact the DVLA to see if you are ok to drive legally. As for the doctor, if you need a medical, the DVLA will make arrangements and appoint you a doctor in your local area, you do not need to look for a doctor yourself. You need to phone the DVLA who will advise you further.

now they tell me i do need a medical a blood test what is that for and what will it be looking for .they also said that i can apply for interim reinstatement till the medical is that likley to happen ....and is there anything i should no about what they are looking for in the medical please..now will they be testing for anything but alcohol:eek::eek::confused: would if i had diabetes as im overweight be a problem do they test for that or is it just alcohol.....i take vitamins and the odd sleeping pill will they be testing for that .it was a drink drive conviction not a drug conviction ..im really worried as my new job depends on the outcome ...and what happens if the blood test finds you have other problems im going into paranoia now ..once again is the test soley for drink .if not what can i do to make sure im clean of everything

Last edited:
now they tell me i do need a medical a blood test what is that for and what will it be looking for .they also said that i can apply for interim reinstatement till the medical is that likley to happen ....and is there anything i should no about what they are looking for in the medical please..now will they be testing for anything but alcohol:eek::eek::confused: would if i had diabetes as im overweight be a problem do they test for that or is it just alcohol.....i take vitamins and the odd sleeping pill will they be testing for that .it was a drink drive conviction not a drug conviction ..im really worried as my new job depends on the outcome ...and what happens if the blood test finds you have other problems im going into paranoia now ..once again is the test soley for drink .if not what can i do to make sure im clean of everything

The medical is designed to detect if you abuse alcohol and have a drinking problem. More details can be found here. The best thing you can do in preparation for the medical is cut out/cut down on drinking alcohol. Best of luck.

ive not drunk any alcohol for over a year ..im just worried they might find my heart is wonky or something i dont no about .:confused:

IVE BEEN TOLD THAT ONCE THE DVLA MEDICAL CENTER HAS MY APPLICATION AND MONEY WHICH IVE PAID ..THAT WHILST I WAIT FOR THE DOCTOR I CAN APPLY FOR AN INTERIM LICENCE TO FRIVE IE A TEMPORAY LICENCE UNTILL I GET TO THE BLOOD TEST STAGE HAS ANYONE DONE THAT AND IS THAT INFO CORRECT PLEASE

hi minnie

Are you aware that a drink driving offence will remain on your licence for 11 years from the date of the offence?

I was just worried about your job. Is it a driving job? Some employers won't employ you to drive with a DR on your licence.

Hope everything works out for you.

I have another 8 months to go then I am free from that drink driving charge.
Happy Days!!:)

Hi Minnie

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get the ban reduced to 1 year?

I'm looking at 24 months ban ... due in court a week today :-(

Hi Minnie

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get the ban reduced to 1 year?

I'm looking at 24 months ban ... due in court a week today :-(

i appealed to the crown court and the judge agreed that the magistrates had taken no notice of the mitigation offered and reduced the 3 year ban to 12 months and did away with the rehabilitationcourse/i nowam back driving and stopped drinking...may i also say i wrote a first class letter to the judge which i paid for and that worked wonders i am willing to show you a copy //and you use the samewords with slight changes but it really works

i appealed to the crown court and the judge agreed that the magistrates had taken no notice of the mitigation offered and reduced the 3 year ban to 12 months and did away with the rehabilitationcourse/i nowam back driving and stopped drinking...may i also say i wrote a first class letter to the judge which i paid for and that worked wonders i am willing to show you a copy //and you use the samewords with slight changes but it really works

Hi Minnie, I'd really appreciate that. Would you be able to send it as an attatchment to [email address removed]?

Incidently mine seems very similar. I was at court today and pleaded guilty but put forward mitigation whch the duty solicitor advised me was very compelling and could even amount to 'special reasons'. However, on reading the summary, under mitigation the clerk had entered 'NONE'! I have to go back for sentencing next Thurs and have been told to expect a 2 year ban and a low level community order. I think I'll maybe appeal to the crown court also.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys

Im due to do a medical test in three week.

Im really as i regulary smoke weed at nights.

Would this show on my blood or urine test.

Hi guys

Im due to do a medical test in three week.

Im really as i regulary smoke weed at nights.

Would this show on my blood or urine test.

Hi There

I was banned for 28 months and asked to attend a DVLA medical.

I smoke weed most nights and had the same concern. I smoked up until the day before my medical and nothing showed in the screening.

If you have been caught for an alcohol offence then this is all they test for. I now have my licence back.

Thanks

in the medical do they just look for alcohol?as i'm not a big drinker but somtimes some cannabis.can anyone shed some light on this?like is the urinal test for drugs and the blood test is for liver fuctions??hhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeellllllllppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::eek:

Dont get your hopes up on anything , they do test for alcohol abuse, and if they cant decide or dont like the look of you they just say you can have a temp licence for a year lol. and if you take drugs, then its a ten year ban. better still, once you get the letter saying your medical is due, you phone the doctor who then takes a week to let you know the appointment date and you get one two days after the 3 week limmit to reply to the DVLA. So you have lost your money and have to start agen 6 months later. No one likes drink drivers and the legal system has left the door open for any-one to mess your licence up . Anything can and will happen to you with no mercy once you are a drink driver. After the court has delt with you, your then given to an angry mob.

First of all don't worry but thats too easy to say...

I was convicted for being over 3 times over the limit!!! Crash into a lamppost - Motorway closed for 2 hours etc so I thought they would be on my case when it came to have the medical.

Like many when I was serving the ban I started to drink much more, up to 350mls straight Vodka within half hour on top of wine and beer, so much so it did not really seem to affect me but I got arrested for drunk and disordally, used to fall asleep on trains and wake up in strange places and got into a bit of trouble.

Alas the medical was due. I stopped drinking 2 months prior to the exam, drank loads of water instead and swallowed Milk Thistle tablets like no tomorrow. It wasn't that hard to stop because I needed to drive again. The medical was rather short asking questions about how much I drank so I said a glass or two of wine at the weekend, the gave me an eysight test, prodded my belly (which I thought they might suss my liver was HUGE) and finally a urine sample.

Only last week my licence came back mush to my astonishment.

I do not condone drink driving at all but we all make mistakes in life but my advice is to abstain for 8 weeks or so. You will be suprised how much better you feel anyway, just put the pennies you would have spent in a jar and watch them mount up. Now its insurance time...now thats not easy..

First of all don't worry but thats too easy to say...

I was convicted for being over 3 times over the limit!!! Crash into a lamppost - Motorway closed for 2 hours etc so I thought they would be on my case when it came to have the medical.

Like many when I was serving the ban I started to drink much more, up to 350mls straight Vodka within half hour on top of wine and beer, so much so it did not really seem to affect me but I got arrested for drunk and disordally, used to fall asleep on trains and wake up in strange places and got into a bit of trouble.

Alas the medical was due. I stopped drinking 2 months prior to the exam, drank loads of water instead and swallowed Milk Thistle tablets like no tomorrow. It wasn't that hard to stop because I needed to drive again. The medical was rather short asking questions about how much I drank so I said a glass or two of wine at the weekend, the gave me an eysight test, prodded my belly (which I thought they might suss my liver was HUGE) and finally a urine sample.

Only last week my licence came back mush to my astonishment.

I do not condone drink driving at all but we all make mistakes in life but my advice is to abstain for 8 weeks or so. You will be suprised how much better you feel anyway, just put the pennies you would have spent in a jar and watch them mount up. Now its insurance time...now thats not easy..

Hi this is the most usefull bit of information i have read on this forum in 3months of looking, i am in exactly the same situation never used to really be a big drinker maybe 2-3 times a week but since losing my licence for failure to provide i have hit the bottle hard in the past year probably drinking 5-6 days out of 7 and around a half bottle of whisky each time. My medical is due in 6 weeks time and i have had no drink now for just under 1 week and a half do you think i will pass the medical and feedback would be really appreciated.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off