Driving licence refused after medical, have to wait 6 or 12 months?

Convicted Driver Insurance

clive2norman

Hi I have just been told by the DVLA that my licence has been canceld due to being a HRO, Drinking and driving.
I have had the Gov med and it was refered to my GP. Today recieved the dreaded letter explaining and that it could b a 12 months or 6 months suspention before I can re apply.

The big question is when does the 6 months or 12 months start from?
Is it the day my ban finnished 19 September 2011
or is it the day of the gov med 25th Jan 2012.
or is from the date of this letter 25 May 2012. The end of there evaluation.

Letter states ask my GP if it is 12 or 6 months period as he confirmed the evidence ie persistant drinker etc.
But when does it start what ever it is, that is the question???

Can anybody help me as im going round in circles!!!

Im also going to see my GP on Thusday and request that he takes a blood test and confirm to DVLA that I have not been drinking since the new year hopfully this may help, fingers crossed.

Clive

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have just been told by the DVLA that my licence has been canceld due to being a HRO, Drinking and driving.
I have had the Gov med and it was refered to my GP. Today recieved the dreaded letter explaining and that it could b a 12 months or 6 months suspention before I can re apply.

The big question is when does the 6 months or 12 months start from?
Is it the day my ban finnished 19 September 2011
or is it the day of the gov med 25th Jan 2012.
or is from the date of this letter 25 May 2012. The end of there evaluation.

Letter states ask my GP if it is 12 or 6 months period as he confirmed the evidence ie persistant drinker etc.
But when does it start what ever it is, that is the question???

Can anybody help me as im going round in circles!!!

Im also going to see my GP on Thusday and request that he takes a blood test and confirm to DVLA that I have not been drinking since the new year hopfully this may help, fingers crossed.

Clive

The following excerpt was taken from the current medical standards of fitness to drive issued by the Drivers Medical Group at the DVLA.

It states under alcohol misuse the following:
Persistent alcohol misuse, confirmed by medical enquiry and/or by evidence of otherwise unexplained abnormal blood markers, requires licence revocation or refusal until a minimum six month period of controlled drinking or abstinence has been attained, with normalisation of blood parameters.

Patient to seek advice from medical or other sources during the period off the road.

It states under alcohol dependency the following:
Alcohol dependence, confirmed by medical enquiry, requires licence revocation or refusal until a one year period free from alcohol problems has been attained. Abstinence will normally be required, with normalisation of blood parameters, if relevant.

For driving licence restoration:
Will require satisfactory medical reports from own doctor(s) and may require independent medical examination and blood tests, arranged by DVLA.

Consultant support/referral may be necessary.

According to this information it would seem that your doctor will make the ultimate decision as to when, in his/her medical opinion, you no longer misuse or are dependent on alcohol and are deemed fit to drive. As your letter states, you must seek advice from your GP who will then inform you of any and all relevant requirements and timescales.

Last edited:
The following excerpt was taken from the current medical standards of fitness to drive issued by the Drivers Medical Group at the DVLA.

It states under alcohol misuse the following:
Persistent alcohol misuse, confirmed by medical enquiry and/or by evidence of otherwise unexplained abnormal blood markers, requires licence revocation or refusal until a minimum six month period of controlled drinking or abstinence has been attained, with normalisation of blood parameters.

Patient to seek advice from medical or other sources during the period off the road.

It states under alcohol dependency the following:
Alcohol dependence, confirmed by medical enquiry, requires licence revocation or refusal until a one year period free from alcohol problems has been attained. Abstinence will normally be required, with normalisation of blood parameters, if relevant.

For driving licence restoration:
Will require satisfactory medical reports from own doctor(s) and may require independent medical examination and blood tests, arranged by DVLA.

Consultant support/referral may be necessary.

According to this information it would seem that your doctor will make the ultimate decision as to when, in his/her medical opinion, you no longer misuse or are dependent on alcohol and are deemed fit to drive. As your letter states, you must seek advice from your GP who will then inform you of any and all relevant requirements and timescales.

I thank you for your response on this as it is worrying.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off