Alcoholic and renewing licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sydbar

I'd thought my experience might help other alcoholics/heavy binge drinkers in getting the licence back.
A brief history.I basically spent a decade drunk.I don't mean a good binge on a weekend I mean morning till night every day getting wasted.Sometimes months on end without a break.In this messy decade I lost my licence in 2007 for two years.Hospitals,rehab and counselling were all part of life till eventually in early 2008 I finally threw the towel in regarding my drinking and even stopped smoking.
Life all back on track except my licence.

Timelines

April 2011 I applied and honestly told the DVLA I had had problems with booze.

May.I received a questionaire asking my drinking habits.I put down I had been on the wagon around 3 years.They also asked for my Dr's details.So there's no point lying about any problems detoxs etc.

July they finally got word back from my Dr.I have no idea what he told them but my I know he has plenty of records regarding my drinking.

September.I got a form to fill in and an address of a Dr for a medical

September 30th.Had my medical.Brief chat explaining that I was on the wagon and when I last drank etc.Physical examination,prodding around and listening to my breathing and a blood sample.

Nov 1st.I got a letter telling me they had the results and their medical advisors would decide.

November 15th I got my licence back and finally my life is now normal and drink free.

While waiting for my medical I ate healthy(the obvious,fruit veg salad low fat),drank mostly water and fruit juice.A few coffees a day and milk thistle tablets.I kept away from painkillers if I could as these raise levels they look at in your liver and I cant see my liver taking too much hammer these days.If you have a prescription painkillers that's something you should ask the DVLA as I'm sure they would take this on board when checking your levels.
It took a long time,6 and a half months.Phoning up has little use other than letting you know you haven't been forgotten.I'm sure my application took so long because of my alcoholic past.

Sorry this is long winded but I'm hoping it helps others scouring the internet for any answers.If my liver can repair itself then I think most others will as long as you abstain.
Regards Syd

Thanks for sharing mate.

The first point at which you knew you'd actually passed, was that when the licence arrived in the post or had they told you before hand? I took my medical two weeks ago, and my ban is up in three weeks, so that'll be 5 weeks from the time of my medical....so now I'm thinking I won't actually know if I've passed by then or not....

They gave me no clue until the licence came six weeks exactly since I took my medical.I got two letters on the same day,one telling me I was getting my licence and the other letter had the licence in.It's a frustrating time and seems to drag.I was confident at first I would get it back but as the months went by doubts started to creep in.It was a relief to get it.Reading the forums before hand it seems every case has it's own timeline from a few weeks to my 6 and a half months from start to finish.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off