Totally Stupid

Convicted Driver Insurance

Annie007

Hi
Life has taken a turn for the worse last night, and yes, its all my fault!
To put things into perspective, I hardly have a social life being the single mother of a three year old.
However, I had arranged to go to watch a band with a work collegue at a pub about 3 miles from where I live, I had ordered a taxi to take us home at 11:00, and did have a few halves of lager during the evening, probably 4 plus 1 really unpleasant alcoholic short.
The evening finished and my collegue was the worse for wear, in fact was very drunk and he had an altercation with another guy in the toilets. I managed to get him outside the pub waiting for the taxi to turn up but the other guy and his mate came looking for my friend so I bundled him into the car and drove home before he ended up fighting.
We were getting near to his house when he violently threw up over my leg, I was so shocked I swerved the car and ran into the side of a van and a car! The police were called, I was breathalised and showed a reading of 70! Clearly well over the limit. My "friend" did a runner before the Police arrived leaving me to deal with the obvioulsy angry owners and the Police myself.
I spent the night in the cells and Mum picked me up this morning.
So, now I am in the crap, I have to go to court in 3 weeks time, what do you think I will be expecting?

Hi Annie,

At the very least you will be banned for at least a minimum of 17 months. Upto 22 months.

You will be fined too.

You will have a criminal record too. Your life is about to change. most of us though come through this a better person. But it will be hard. With a "friend" like yours you certainly dont need enemies.

Good luck,

TVI

Thanks TVI
Well after the numbness and disbelief of the last few days, the cold light of reality has started to hit home.
I contacted my insurers and whilst they are going to get the other vehicles sorted out, as I was drunk at the time of the accident my policy small print apparently reverts to third party level so my car wont be fixed unless I pay for it. I have to call them back when I have been to court.

My car was dropped off by the RAC last night and someone had kindly spray painted scum and bitch down both sides of it. It looks great on my drive way.
Is this fair payback from society?

Just to rub a little more salt into the wounds, my collegue, (last seen heading for the hills) is off work apparently with whiplash! (must have been the speed he ran away at). I wonder if he has told work the reason why.

Hi Annie,

I wish I could say you will get away with this, but it is just not going to be the case. I have re read your story again and your main goals should be to try and get as minimum a ban as possible, and as little fine as possible. But both of them will be decided by the magistrates. You should also be offered the rehab course which will reduce your ban by 25%. Its well worth accepting this course as it means you will get your licence back quicker. However, you will have to pay for it. It's about £160 i think.

I would also strongly advise you use the duty solicitor on the day of your court case. But get there really early and speak with him/her. Just tell reception you wish to use duty solicitor. Its free too. But they are really busy and will only usually have about 10 mins to spend with you.

A couple of character references, usually help matters too. eg, Doctor or manager or other proffessional you may know. And a letter of remorse from yourself. Say you accept what you did was wrongand you will accept your punishment and you are sorry etc. I got quite emotional too, that just came naturally, I couldn't control myself. 37 years old and I blubbed big time. I think the magistrates felt sorry for me. but they had to uphold the law.

One more thing, if the court reporter is there, your name could appear in the local paper. But they generally only want juicier stories, so I would just stay calm and accept your fate. Don't cause a scene, and don't give them anything to report about.

One thing is for certain, you won't be going to prison, so don't worry about that. You didn't kill or hurt anyone so you are fortunate there. It will be a ban and a fine.

Good luck,

TVI

Hi TVI
Yes, I'm absolutley not expecting to get off, its clear cut.

I had considered the issue of getting my name in the paper, its just another thing to put in the "box of things to worry about when it happens".

I think writing a letter of remorse will be the easiest task at the moment, I guess I'm going through the "really, REALLY angry with myself" stage.

I'm just so relived that no one was hurt, (apart from ex friend who has sent in a sick note for the week)

Sorry, Im just getting it out of my system, its either that or bursting into tears.

Annie

I was only recently convicted, and went through all the stages you are probably going through. I found the best way was to be practical, and Googling "Drink Driving Forums" was the first stage in this lesson in practicality.

As you said, you know you are going to be banned, so prepare for it. I looked at what impact not having a car would have, (I used the car a lot for work). I checked out local transport options etc. I eve bought a bike. When the day finally came that I handed over my licence, I was already sure of what I had to do for the next 9 months. No self pity, no blame, just confronting the effects.

It seems as if you have taken that first step by finding this forum.

As my dad said to me "stop beating yourself up and get your **** into gear".

Hi Annie,

Yes I know what you mean about the really really angry with yourself, but remember this. What's done now is done. If every single person that writes on this board could change what they did that night/morning I am sure they would etc.

I have had a look and you wont be classed as a High Risk Offender either, which is also another bonus (if there is such a thing given the circumstances). Because HRO's have to go through alot more stringent measures to get their licence back.

And as for those people who defaced your car, well they are more scum than you will ever be. You acted in the heat of the moment did what you thought was the right thing, and now you are going to be punished. It doesn't seem fair that the law is going to come down on you with what is going feel like a ton of bricks. Especially if you have never been in trouble before.

Maybe it might be worth seeing if the club/pub you were at has any cctv of the incident outside involving your so called friend? It might be worth getting the advice off the solicitors on this web site as to whether you have any sort of defence. Again this is a free service. And they usually respond. If you can prove that you only drove your car to prevent a bad situation getting worse, it may work in your favour etc. Or are you resigned to the fact you are going to lose your licence? I called this the clutching at straws stage, where you will look for every minute detail in order to find any reason of getting away with it.

I wish you all the best, and please if you don't mind let me know how you get on. And if there is any further assistance or questions or ranting to be done just keep your thread going.

Good luck,
TVI

Thanks guys
your both very practical and supportive.
If there is a brighter side then its knowing I'm not considered a "Scum Bitch" by everyone.

I think I have accepted that a ban is enevitable, the fine will stretch the already tight purse strings too.

I'm already looking at alternative ways of getting about. Living in the sticks a few miles off the nearest bus route is going to prove a challenge after being used to just loading up the car with child and bags.

It takes a maximum 10 minutes to drive to my Mums and 35 minutes to walk, so thats how much earlier I've planned to start getting up each morning to drop my daughter off before getting a bus the rest of the way into work, if there is one at that time.

I never realised how dependant I've become of the damned car.

You are no scum bitch. You messed up, but you were not dealing drugs or beating your child.

Look at all the fresh air you and your child will get walking. You will actually notice the seasons and fauna. It will be quality time you will spend with each other each day. Of course I am not suggesting you are large, but I am sure you will either lose weight or tone up.

I have lost 6lbs in one week since the ban lol.

Look at the positives.

Thanks Stephen

Well, the first 2 days of walking were actually not that great !! Yesterday morning was foggy and pushing the buggy down the lanes (no paths) had me worrying if the next car would come and mow me down.

The first real issue of not having a car (apart from getting to work) came up when I was supposed to be taking my daughter to a birthday party at MacDonlads and realised that I just couldnt get there.

Anyway, I had a bloke come and check the car to see if it can be repaired to be sold and basically it is uneconomical to fix.

This lifestyle change without the car is going to big.

Just to let you know, last week I went to court. The duty solicitor was very helpfull and stood up for me when the prosecution lady was saying some quite misleading things.
The result was a 17 month ban, can be less if I go on the course, and a £350 fine.
However, the whole event has had a big impact on my situation over the last few weeks. With the bad weather I was late to work a few times as I struggled to get my daughter to my mums and get to the bus and my company were not happy, then last week the papers picked up my story and on Friday I was advised that my position at work was at risk due to the fact that my contract states that a driving license is required, even though I dont actually go anywhere apart from the office and the bank. I have an interview with the personel manager next Wednesday to "discuss and review". I hope I dont lose my job as it means I will not be able to pay the rent on my house and I dont fancy moving back in with Mum & Dad!

This really has been a bad year for me, I was in a long term (5 years) relationship with an Italian guy, we had a daughter and a nice rented house, 2 cars etc etc. Then one day my boyfriend didnt come home from work and I got a call from one of his friends saying he had been taken away by the police as they suspected he was actually Brazilian :eek: with no legal right to be in the country! So 2 days later he was extradited to Sao Paulo and I havent seen him since. I had to sell our cars, buy an old one and find a cheaper house, this one is in the back of beyond but its the best I can afford. I have found myself continuing to be responsible for his debts as they were taken out jointly.
Surely 2012 will be better than 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really feel for you! What a horrible situation to be put in.

Having read a number of posts on this site I have noticed that there is a huge variation between those of us who feel bad, regretful and guilty (even if we didn't cause harm; we might have done..........) ... and those who don't.

Wierdly, apart from the odd resentful person who got 'caught out' after 'only' 2 pints (really?) most of the people who are most vocal about unfairness, or who gloat about defying the rules are repeat offenders.

When I was in court for my (morning after, no damage, but no excuses either!) case, there was a guy there with a very expensive solicitor who he was very noisily criticising because this guy said he couldn't get his licence back for him again. Apparently, this guy ran his own business. Due to these mitigating circumstances he'd been allowed to keep his licence after his first offence.

He'd then lost his licence for a second offence. He was there for his third! Which would also include driving on a ban etc etc. Apparently, this complete numpty had a logo-ed van which everyone in his area recognised. I gather he was not a thug or disliked, but one of his neighbours eventually advised the police because they were worried about his persistent drunk and erratic driving.

Most importantly, they were worried about their kids! There were, apparently, a number of people who had put pen to paper to say 'please, please keep this man off the roads!'

You clearly have a child. Whilst what you're going through does not seem fair at all; the laws are there to protect people, and if there is a limit it has to be maintainted. I'm sure you would rather be punished for a while, than allow men like that to stay driving and threaten your child?

He went to prison, as was right. I looked it up on line later and he got 6 months. I doubt he served it all, but I really hope it taught him a lesson.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off